• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Bongo

Bongo

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:31 PM

Who else has sleeping problems? 

The other night my brain couldn't shut down until 7AM - I was awake at 10 but walked around all day like a Zombie. Other days I've stayed awake all night and all day..

I read somewhere it's actually a hormone to do with the Aspie brain.

Does anyone else have trouble sleeping and if you do what do you to/take to help you sleep?

#2 Babadakad

Babadakad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCologne/Germany

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

The same goes for me. When I'm in bed I need 1 to 3 hours to shut down because my thoughts keep rushing. As for the hormone theory, yes, I read that Aspie brains produce less Melatonin and therefore have a hard time shutting down and going to sleep.

#3 Sofi

Sofi

Mummy <3 x R.I.P x 8.5.63 - 13.02.14

• Honorary Member
  • 4916 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

I have always big sleeping problems. My brain does not shut down easily at all, yes it is to do with the Autistic brain being already overaroused in the frontal lobes, and a combination of hormones in the circadian rhythms. 

I take Melatonin and Zopiclone. They don't do much to be honest, it still takes absolutely hours for me to sleep. The only difference is I will usually eventually fall asleep. Otherwise, I'd just be awake. I can still be awake for 2-3 days straight easily though. 

Edited by Sofi, 26 October 2013 - 08:09 PM.

j4gl.jpg

#4 Kuribo

Kuribo

Advanced Member

• Honorary Member
  • 1388 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

I find it very difficult to get into a routine, so sleeping can be an issue. I find that listening to music helps, although many would disagree with me.

4cwa.png
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
 - Jiddu Krishnamurti

#5 WillowHope

WillowHope

TheGirlInThePandaHat

• Founder
  • 2829 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

I've been having problems on and off for years, but recently it's been a bit worse which sucks. My brain just won't stop. For some reason, my brain thinks that just after I've turned the light off, is the perfect time to plan the next day in great detail, and think about what I can do with my blog/videos/site/shop etc., despite the fact that by doing this (for hours) means that I can't get up in time to actually do the things it's telling me to do. So annoying.

I haven't found anything to help. Even when I've been out and about and busy all day, walking etc., it still won't shut up for hours. But, from the time Chris gets up for work at 7.30am until lunch time, it will let me sleep as if I'm in a coma. GRR!

• Chicken_55 and Bongo like this

#6 Kuribo

Kuribo

Advanced Member

• Honorary Member
  • 1388 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

I've been having problems on and off for years, but recently it's been a bit worse which sucks. My brain just won't stop. For some reason, my brain thinks that just after I've turned the light off, is the perfect time to plan the next day in great detail, and think about what I can do with my blog/videos/site/shop etc., despite the fact that by doing this (for hours) means that I can't get up in time to actually do the things it's telling me to do. So annoying.

I haven't found anything to help. Even when I've been out and about and busy all day, walking etc., it still won't shut up for hours. But, from the time Chris gets up for work at 7.30am until lunch time, it will let me sleep as if I'm in a coma. GRR!

I know how you feel. I always start thinking about forums and other sites I post on when I'm trying to sleep, even if I've been reading for over an hour.  :rolleyes:

4cwa.png
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
 - Jiddu Krishnamurti

#7 Bongo

Bongo

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

I thought it was only me who plans the next day in my head while trying to go to sleep! I can actually go through the whole day in my head but then if something unpredictable happens that I didn't plan in my head the night before then that's what throws me off course.

• WillowHope likes this

#8 Smithy The Wizard

Smithy The Wizard

Asperclicker

• Under 16
  • 982 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

I usually end up going to sleep at around 10 to 1 at night. It is kind of annoying that I can't get a full night's sleep. I usually watch youtube or Doctor Who until my eyelids get heavy. 

But I get great ideas at these times. You see I want to write books and I want to one day write a series on... well me... You guys know me as Smithy, but why is there a wizard on our modern-day Earth? I want to write a series about that, "my" backstory. I'll start a thread on it and stuff.

• Sofi likes this

"It is likely you will spend your whole life trying to find yourself. But these satellites can do it in mere seconds. Yep. There you are."

- Night Vale Podcast

#9 Sofi

Sofi

• Honorary Member
  • 4916 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

But I get great ideas at these times. You see I want to write books and I want to one day write a series on... well me... You guys know me as Smithy, but why is there a wizard on our modern-day Earth? I want to write a series about that, "my" backstory. I'll start a thread on it and stuff.

Cool, you should  :) 

To be honest, I try to think of my insomnia as a positive thing too. I can get a lot of stuff done at night and a lot of people say they have some of their best ideas at night. I've got a little notebook that talks about putting positive energy into insomnia... and to write down all of your ideas/worries in the night. Maybe I'll post a picture of it. 
Audio books help me a lot when I'm in bed, because it gives me something to listen to and focus on rather than my thoughts which can quickly turn bad and I get bad racing thoughts and voices in my head at night. I got an 11 hour Greek audio book which is good right now. 

• Nesf, Smithy The Wizard and Bongo like this

j4gl.jpg

#10 Nesf

Nesf

Asperclick Addict

• Honorary Member
  • 5556 posts
  • LocationThe goldilocks zone

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

Some of my best problem solving comes at night, or rather early hours of the morning when i wake up and can't get back to sleep again. I think my brain is less cluttered and I can think clearly.

nesf.jpg

#11 Davidiss

Davidiss

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

I have trouble getting to sleep and i need to have something on like music, TV or even the washing machine. I cant sleep without noise in the background. 

#12 Nesf

Nesf

Asperclick Addict

• Honorary Member
  • 5556 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

I have trouble getting to sleep and i need to have something on like music, TV or even the washing machine. I cant sleep without noise in the background. 

I'm the exact opposite, I need to have no light, and no noise - I have the shutters and curtains closed and earplugs to sleep.

nesf.jpg

#13 Dakohi

Dakohi

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

I have issues with sleep. But it tends to be sleeping at night.

I have intense delusions at night time, and vivid nightmares a lot. almost most nights. I have night terrors. 

The thing is... I remember everything that happened in the dream. Yet you read up on night terrors and they say 'feeling of intense fear/screaming/running whilst still asleep, but forget dreams instantly' -- what are they talking about? :/ I remember everything. 

My latest one was so very realistic and terrifying... everythng in the dream was trying to kill me- mostly inanimate objects like chairs, rugs, doors, the microwave. I woke up and for about 2 hours couldn't sleep because I truly believed the chair or beanbag was going to suffocate and kill me.

I doubt mine is autism-related though

In your eyes I see a darkness that torments you <3

#14 aspiesw

aspiesw

Advanced Member

• Honorary Member
  • 1275 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

I wouldn't say I have sleeping problems per se... it's just that I slept with my iPad charging on my bed, and I'm always on this forum ;)

I'm like all the elephants in this world, I can not forget you.

#15 Nesf

Nesf

Asperclick Addict

• Honorary Member
  • 5556 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

For some reason for the past two weeks or so I've slept well - which is rather odd for me. I hope it continues.

nesf.jpg

#16 annalisemixer

annalisemixer

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

i can never get to sleep because my brain just will not shut down and go to sleep so i am up until 11 or 12 maybe even later i have not offically been diagnosed i have to wait  until january :( :mellow:

ptcg.png

#17 Sofi

Sofi

• Honorary Member
  • 4916 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

I have intense delusions at night time, and vivid nightmares a lot. almost most nights. I have night terrors. 

The thing is... I remember everything that happened in the dream. Yet you read up on night terrors and they say 'feeling of intense fear/screaming/running whilst still asleep, but forget dreams instantly' -- what are they talking about? :/ I remember everything. 

My latest one was so very realistic and terrifying... everythng in the dream was trying to kill me- mostly inanimate objects like chairs, rugs, doors, the microwave. I woke up and for about 2 hours couldn't sleep because I truly believed the chair or beanbag was going to suffocate and kill me.

I get delusions and hallucinations like that at night too. Sometimes not even at night and sometimes when I feel fine.

i can never get to sleep because my brain just will not shut down and go to sleep so i am up until 11 or 12 maybe even later i have not offically been diagnosed i have to wait  until january :( :mellow:

11 or 12 is really early for me. I'm awake til 4 or 5 usually. 

j4gl.jpg

#18 the strangest man

the strangest man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • LocationWarminster

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

I've found I sleep very much better with a couple of heavyish pillows on top of my duvet, similar I suspect to a weighted blanket but also very snuggly and warm.

#19 Shōnen Bat

Shōnen Bat

• Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

A lot of the children I worked with previously had modafinal supplements and trouble sleeping but until I read this thread I never made the connection to my own problems with sleep.

If I am not exhausted when I go to bed I will lie awake for hours with my mind spinning through all sorts of things so I tend to keep myself up until I am almost falling asleep in my chair to avoid that. As a result I tend to be up untill 4 or 5 most nights when I am not working the next day.

I also use audiobooks to help me sleep and have done since I was a young child. As long as it is quiet enough not to wake me up but not too quiet that I can't hear it (as then it keeps me awake as my brain tries to make out the words I can't hear) an audiobook is pretty much mandatory for me at this point to get to sleep.

That's interesting, I used to (and still do sometimes) get similar experiences. Are yours classic night terrors?

I used to think I suffered from night terrors but looking into it what I get is the similar but distinct problem of sleep paralysis, where you are unable to move but aware of the room just after falling asleep (or before waking). Then I sense a malevolent presence in the room that moves towards me, it manifests as a sort of crawling blackness that slides towards me.

It always occurs at times of high stress and sleep deprivation for me.

#20 Kaygee

Kaygee

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

My insomnia is crippling right now since they changed my meds. I've been awake since friday........I'm not kidding..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users