• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
aspiesw

What Helps Calm You Down?

aspiesw

I'm not sure whether this has been discussed, but generally calms you down? For me it's music, whenever I'm upset or had a hard day at work/uni, listening to music helps me calm down, relax and feel comfortable, I'm not sure why but I rely on music, I don't think I could live without it

• Helpful 6

Sofi

My weighted blanket, certain music and certain books about my special interests. My interests are the only things that make me feel comfortable and I know everything is okay then if I surround myself with my interests. Plasticine helps too, it requires concentration and keeps my hands moving, or drawing and colouring. Sometimes it's hard for me to calm down but I try.

• Helpful 2

Ben

Nootropics mainly. Not eating carbs and lifting heavy things in the gym. My bible is also a constant reminder of where to throw all of my anxiety and inhibition. So if I was to generalise this answer, ultimately I'd say God. 

But a stiff tequila works too... It all depends on how naughty I'm feeling. 

• Helpful 1

Alex

It all depends on how naughty I'm feeling. 

Hmm.... ;)

Ben

Yup, the devil sticks his pitchfork up my ass too. I'm don't get treated any different. 

Nesf

I'm not sure whether this has been discussed, but generally calms you down? For me it's music, whenever I'm upset or had a hard day at work/uni, listening to music helps me calm down, relax and feel comfortable, I'm not sure why but I rely on music, I don't think I could live without it

I second that, music is very important to me. It's the one constant in my life, and never lets me down. What kind of music do you like? Also, a long walk in the forest or countryside, physical exercise is good against anxiety. Lying down for 10 minutes with my arms round my head and over my eyes. A warm bath with a good book :) I always read a few pages before I go to bed to help me sleep. Herbal anti-stress tea.

annalise_fox_ford

the only way i can calm down is listening to music and dancing i am not so sure how the dancing calms me down though :)

• Helpful 1

Babadakad

Mostly listening to music and playing games. Doing sports is also a great way.

• Helpful 1

Shell_Bell

Listening to music definitely. Games. Yoga sometimes. Candles. Walking in the woods. Having a sing song and an energetic dance around the house is very effective for releasing pent up feelings and tension  :)

• Helpful 4

aspiesw

I second that, music is very important to me. It's the one constant in my life, and never lets me down. What kind of music do you like? Also, a long walk in the forest or countryside, physical exercise is good against anxiety. Lying down for 10 minutes with my arms round my head and over my eyes. A warm bath with a good book :) I always read a few pages before I go to bed to help me sleep. Herbal anti-stress tea.

A mix of rock and pop, and a bit of Indie/Hip Hop, I love Diana Vickers, she's perfect

Sofi

A mix of rock and pop, and a bit of Indie/Hip Hop, I love Diana Vickers, she's perfect

Omg, I love Diana Vickers too, I like your picture. I've seen her live when she did her X Factor tour, I only went to it to see her. She's perfect

• Helpful 1

aspiesw

Omg, I love Diana Vickers too, I like your picture. I've seen her live when she did her X Factor tour, I only went to it to see her. She's perfect

She is perfect. I look up to her. I really want to see her!

Shōnen Bat

Music is a big one for me as well, usually something relaxing like Stars Of The Lid or Olaf Aarnalds if I want to calm down. Walking in the forest is very good as well but it feels aimless and unfocused unless I am out with my dog. Solving problems helps as well, as long as I can solve them, if I choose some I can't do then it makes it worse!

I also have a collection of polished stones, when I am anxious I like to take 2 of them and turn them over and over whilst sliding them against each other. That's a pretty rubbish description but the tactile sensation of 2 smooth
surfaces sliding over each other and the faint noise they make and the smooth sounding click as I flip them against each other is very therapeutic for me.

King_oni

Usually zoning out for a few days... yes.. .a few days. I cannot calm down by doing something for 30 minutes.

I must add however, I tend to engage in hobby activities to calm down and "de-stress" and most of those activities aren't necessarily things one should do in short bursts IMO. It doesn't keep me in the zone as much, considering most of them are creative processes which just need to flourish a bit over time.

The prime example would be painting wargaming miniatures. Though having paints all around annoys me enough, and packing and unpacking them daily bothers me as well. So I rather have my set-up be there and paint for hours on end to get it done and then pack it all up again. And I guess the same can be said about recording/writing music. If I need to take a break to get a bit of new perspective to complete something I'm working on, that's fine... having to take a break because I have other stuff to do clearly is not. It's also a reason why life gets in the way to most thing I want to do. Which creates a vicious circle cause I'll get stressed out for not getting stuff done... which makes me need to calm down, ad infinitum.

HenryVIII

Nootropics mainly.

Do Nootropics work ?

Nesf

I like prog rock, folk rock and metal. I don't know Diana Vickers.

Ben

Do Nootropics work ?

It depends what you get. Some of the racetams are quite good, some aren't. My favourite nootropic has to be Thiamine; or a Thiamine variant called Sulbutiamine. For me, it works a bit like caffeine would do, without having all the jitters and heart palpitations. I also notice a drop in social inhibition as well as improved cognition. Also, any variant of Niacin above 1000mg works for me just like a stiff drink would do. I find it to calm me significantly as well as completely lift depression. 

My advice to anyone would be to keep it natural. Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) and fish oils would be a good start. Begin the vitamin C at 1000mg to build your tolerance and work your way up. If you go above this off the bat, you might have some toilet complications. But once you get used to it, you'll be able to work up to higher doses without any issues. 

A couple of strongish B complex tablets to cover all bases is also a good move. If you're inclined to drink, then look into L-Glutamine as well. 

Some nootropics however, are overpriced useless shit. A contact I Email regularly; who has his own nootropic business, says nothing beats high dose Vitamin C. 

Boobookittyfrag

Of course, it would be advisable to consult a doctor before even trying any of those things even if they are natural...

• Helpful 1

Ben

A lot of them are quite keen to talk about it. It's a subject that interests most doctors. 

I'll add to the above disclaimer though.

Never take anything you don't fully understand. Always do intense research and watch videos and lectures. Don't just pluck the first thing you find from an internet search. You need to have an intimate understanding of what you're taking. If not >>DON'T<< take it. 

If you're really in doubt, either talk to a doctor and get his verdict and take on board his advice; or just don't take it. - Which is probably the easiest thing to do. 

Nintendo2

Music T.V and walking helps me at times with stress and talking to someone I really like talking to.

• Helpful 1

Bongo

Trying to think of solutions to dealing with my problems, and planning ahead because you can't change the past.

Heather

A few things help me.  Sometimes I do listen to music to calm me down but I am not as into music as most people.  Meditation videos on YouTube can help, but I don't do that often.

Sometimes I ramble about what's upsetting me to the people around me, if I'm close to them, so usually my boyfriend. But sometimes my mom or even other family members if I really need to say something and for some reason they are the only ones there.

I started crocheting awhile back and doing that can help calm me down, especially just simple crochet stitches over and over. 

Sometimes just random drawing helps, not anything specific, just random doodles.  I know in the past sometimes if I'm frustrated I just let out my frustration by scribbling on paper. :P

And also I watch videos a lot of time to calm me down.  A lot of times on YouTube, but I also watch episodes.. like from Gilmore Girls, one of my favourite shows from high school, it's just kind of nice and comforting at times.

If I have chocolate in the house, I sometimes go for that if I'm upset to try and calm down. lol

• Helpful 1

Jale

Wandering through my house and touching stuff in certain way and order while listening to "The Cult".

I can do that whole day.

Or spinning some object like coin, or remote controler or pen - I can do that for hours

It helps me get rid of all that input that is unpredictable, because if it is predictable I dont have to worry what the outcome will be so I can use my brain power to concentate more efficienty and narrowly on some problems and tasks like learning or thinking about what the hell should I supose to do in certain social situations.

Saveyourscissors

A few things,

Josh - unless he upset me.

My dog. Always

Tickles (soft touch)

People playing with my hair

Ripping things like shredding stuff I guess

Punching stuff (don't really anymore)

Driving

Fiddling

Music (not always though)

Twiddling my hair

Loads if stuff but for different things!

Nedarb

Watching Austin Powers or anything stupid, or lately its been listening to 40 Winks. Playing Destroy all Humans and just causing mayhem and destruction to the town helps me deal with my aggression at times. Other things too, it depends on how I'm feeling