• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
aspiesw

What Helps Calm You Down?

Loke

Watching cartoons is usually my go-to calming method. By now I've watched all my favorite shows at least a dozen times, haha.

• Helpful 1

veearrell

Watching cartoons is usually my go-to calming method. By now I've watched all my favorite shows at least a dozen times, haha.

Which ones?

I watch a lot of cartoons too and my hard drive is literally full of shows (like seriously, I have over a terabyte of stuff) ranging from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic to South Park and everything in between. Some of my favorites are Charlie Brown, Garfield, the DCAU, As Told By Ginger, Gummi Bears, Daria and Pokemon.

Bartowski

I like to listen to music, I used to have old stereo headphones that applied a slight amount of pressure to my head and it felt good and would help me relax and calm me down during my break at work after interacting with people. They broke so now I have new ones that add pressure, but not as much, but the audio is good lol.

annalise_fox_ford

the things that calm me down are ;

tight hugs 

stroking my dog 

music 

repeating words over and over ( i only ever do this when i am on my own)

clenching and relaxing my fists 

watching youtube videos about my special interests 

looking at pictures and remembering what happened that day 

Fallon

Stimming with music or reading fanfiction

Stimming with music or reading fanfiction

sarahjanesoprano

For me, it depends on the situation. If I've had a hard, tiring day, then just watching some of my favourite TV shows will work. If, as I have been experiencing recently, I'm extremely tense - potentially on the verge of a panic attack - then colouring books can be good, or pretty much anything that I have to focus on (something like painting my nails or making jewellery - neither TV nor books, both of which I love, will work completely).

RiRi

It depends, sometimes listening to music, sometimes listening to calming sounds such as rain. But drawing always calms me.

Edited by Makelets
  • Helpful 1

aspiesw

I find if I don't have a ride on my favourite train (Class 150 or Class 153/155/156) for an extended period of time, I begin to get mood swings, become irritable, and just in general not a nice person to be around, interesting that!

Michael2525

Being on top of the moors where there are no people. That works for me. Nature is such a soothing healer.

• Helpful 2

Nesf

Being on top of the moors where there are no people. That works for me. Nature is such a soothing healer.

I spend my early childhood living up on the moors :)

nikkiDT

Stimming is usually helps.  Music without words--like jazz or classical-- calms me down pretty quickly.  Or looking at these kooky, moving patterns online.   But nothing works better than a little sleep.

No Longer Here

I grew up in Yorks. I spent a lot of my childhood and adolescence out walking on the North Yorks Moors, The Dales and The Peak District. Although we have beautiful countryside where I live now I do miss the ruggedness of the moors.

• Helpful 1

Skylark

Solitude, walking in the countryside (on a good day), music, sunshine, distractions (films, internet).

Extraterrarian

Certain books or tv shows that I read/watch again and again. Music (sometimes), warm water, layers of weight/blankets. 

Buffwyn

Anime, reading, drawing or I go boxing

Mukhi

melodic music helps me, also things like yoga or hiking or just being in nature. The thing that helps the most though is being at my house, but unfortunately because of my long school hours I can't spend much time there.

Nesf

At the moment, Sertraline, because I've been experiencing very severe anxiety recently.

• Helpful 1

nichii

The three Ks. Kratom, kava, and kanna. Not at the same time, but one of those when I need to calm down. Kava is probably the best at reducing my anxiety and kratom is easier to take, so I have that most of the time. I smoke kanna when I need to calm down and I don't feel like making kava.

Surfing, river tripping, SUP cruising, bushcraft, fires, outdoors, coastal exploration, wilderness trips.....and the big one CBD, especially in medicinal from :)

• Helpful 1

Prog rock - YES, King Crimson, Frank Zappa.... Polyrhythmic tunes especially :)

• Helpful 1

lizlovesalotofthings

What helps me calm down best is to put on some music and do a jigsaw puzzle. 

Nesf
On 2/7/2017 at 11:00 AM, ....... said:

Prog rock - YES, King Crimson, Frank Zappa.... Polyrhythmic tunes especially :)

I definitely agree with that one :D