• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Anxious

Benefits ?

Anxious

Are there any benefits that a person with AS  is entited to just because of the diagnoses ?

Sofi

I have HFA and I get DLA . You can also apply to get ESA,  I haven't applied it is really difficult to get that now with the government changes, especially with an invisible 'disability' such as Aspergers/Autism.  You might also be able to get the housing benefit and income support

• Helpful 1

Ben

I've always struggled to understand why someone with AS needs benefits. Perhaps allowances to travel first class on the train to avoid crowds? other than that, i can't see a reason. 

My mother claimed DLA  for me for years, i refused to take a penny of it on principle. 

Sofi
I've always struggled to understand why someone with AS needs benefits. Perhaps allowances to travel first class on the train to avoid crowds? other than that, i can't see a reason. 

My mother claimed DLA  for me for years, i refused to take a penny of it on principle. 

I get it because I can't work because I can't go out on my own as I panic too much and don't have a good sense of danger etc. 

My mum also got it for me for my childhood too, until I was old enough. 

FireWire

i get Dla, but it's because i can't leave the house by myself as i panic and i alway's need someone with me. also my sense of balance isn't that good due to being blind in one eye from an accident i had as a child. i don't get much dla though just enough to help with travel cost's.

Arthur

I get benefits from MDPH but olny 50% of it because I work full time and can not get the full amount, if was unemployed yes would get all the benefits. 

Full benifit is 758€  I get 392€ since I work full time.

Andy

That all depends on how AS affects you, some, the late diagnosed report diagnosis is as if you have had the rug pulled out from beneath your feet and everything you used to be able to do now feels impossible or at least extremely hard.

If you grew up with the diagnosis it may be a different matter, but imagine others having their world brought down by a diagnosis which can be devastating.

As to DLA it is the difference between sitting at home ones own and getting out into the populace, money helps, and with me my DLA allows me to run a car, it did 900 miles last year and allowed me to eat better, because I didn't have to carry food in shopping bags for four miles. Maintenance and repairs I do myself and so it has just failed it's MOT on two things, a tyre that was ageing badly and a blowing exhaust, not bad for a 19 year old car ! Total cost of repairs including a part worn tyre fitted and balanced; £22. It should pass on Monday bearing in mind it will be a partial test and partial fee but Renault make good cars, my first frog car and I am much impressed and I have had a few makes.

Bur AS understand something, no matter how bad you are there is always someone worse off, that being you feel totally capable there are others that struggle.

• Helpful 1

specialstar
I have HFA and I get DLA . You can also apply to get ESA,  I haven't applied it is really difficult to get that now with the government changes, especially with an invisible 'disability' such as Aspergers/Autism.  You might also be able to get the housing benefit and income support

you get Housing Benefit, if your on ESA/Income Support. Those getting Income Support get transferred to ESA as there phasing Income Support and Incapacity Benefit.

• Helpful 1

Willow

I get DLA low rates because I can't go out alone and because if I panic outside I lose my sense of danger etc and become kind of out of control. I've not been asked to renew my claim forms for a long time now, and when they next ask I'm not going to bother because all the new stuff the government are doing will probably mean I'd lose it anyway. But it's only £150 per month. Barely pays for all the extra stuffs we do because of my AS. Example - the supermarket I feel comfortable to shop in is 20+ miles away. There's one down the road from me but it's smaller and laid out weirdly and they don't stock all my food and the lighting is different.

i get Dla, but it's because i can't leave the house by myself as i panic and i alway's need someone with me.

Me too

Here is a couple of links to help you out with claiming DLA. You can't get it just because you're diagnosed with Aspergers - I think that's the wrong way to look at it. If there are things that cost money which otherwise wouldn't because of your AS then you can try to get awarded with DLA.

https://www.gov.uk/dla-disability-living-allowance-benefit/what-youll-get - the government site for claiming

http://www.autism.org.uk/living-with-autism/benefits-and-community-care/disability-living-allowance.aspx - advice on how to claim

specialstar

PIP will replace DLA, But i looked at what my needs are in what it will be counted and i look all fine. Bit confused why you only get low rate DLA and not Middle Rate willow?

Willow
PIP will replace DLA, But i looked at what my needs are in what it will be counted and i look all fine. Bit confused why you only get low rate DLA and not Middle Rate willow?

The Citizen's Advice Bureau and an advocate from and Adult's Asperger Team were going to take me to a tribunal to get middle rate, but I declined. I definitely don't need middle rate.

Andy

I have had middle rate, but lost it and the diference is massive because losing middle rate makes one lose income support as well, it was a massive hit and I was actually improving until that happened and when it happened I degraded because having no money I lost interest in my plans which were at the time I was in consultation with MIND and others to start my own business. But losing the financial support actually kept me longer on benefits. I do think I would be working by now if it wasn't for that financial hit.

• Helpful 1

Sofi
The Citizen's Advice Bureau and an advocate from and Adult's Asperger Team were going to take me to a tribunal to get middle rate, but I declined. I definitely don't need middle rate.

I get the middle rate ... i think. But that is just what they put me on in the first place. 

specialstar
I have had middle rate, but lost it and the diference is massive because losing middle rate makes one lose income support as well, it was a massive hit and I was actually improving until that happened and when it happened I degraded because having no money I lost interest in my plans which were at the time I was in consultation with MIND and others to start my own  business. But losing the financial support actually kept me longer on benefits. I do think I would be working by now if it wasn't for that financial hit.

DLA is notwhats the word when it doesnt affect whilst u work. when ESA is whats the word awarded they put DLA as notcounted towards so it doesnt mean u lose your incomesupport

Toran

I havent ever claimed benefits ive always worked , I went into a factory straight from school it was difficult but I finally settled into a routeen even though there were ups and down over the years but somehow I managed to get over them even though I was thought of as odd by a lot of people there. I got made reduntent back in 1999 and ive had endless jobs since I just could settle and always left or let go after a few months or so. Ive been working with my current employer for six years but its as a van driver and I cover a wide area so im on my own my own a lot which suites me fine. I get panic attacks and am on medication for this but it doesnt really help if im honest. They have changed the role now and I have to work with othersand the same old problems are coming back to haunt me again. I resisted it and tried to get through it but eventually I couldnt manage and have been on the sick for awhile now the panic attacks have been a lot worse and have been getting depressed about the way life is even though I try to be positive all the time. Ive no idea if im going to end up claiming benefits or not I hope I dont but maybe I cant manage anymore its been very difficult to try to hold down a place in society with very little help.

• Helpful 1

mary

Perhaps you've been luckier than some and been able to function at a level where you can go and get a job and remain employed.  Not good to judge people before knowing their circumstances.

I've never been unemployed since I was 16 but that's not to say I'd judge people who claimed benefits for having a diagnosis the same as myself.

• Helpful 4

Ben
Perhaps you've been luckier than some and been able to function at a level where you can go and get a job and remain employed.  Not good to judge people before knowing their circumstances.

I've never been unemployed since I was 16 but that's not to say I'd judge people who claimed benefits for having a diagnosis the same as myself.

This is where the internet starts to piss me off. 

Toran

No your right oakers its a very individual thing some people cope better than others with it and one person is never the same as another.It also depends on how much help and understanding you get in the work place which in my case was ZERO which was what contributed to the period of health issues I have at the moment. I can show empathy with those on benefits how does the old saying go.There for the grase of god goes I something like that but you get the point.

• Helpful 1

Willow

Hmm - some people with AS do rely on it though :( I don't so much now, but it certainly helps - see reasons I previously listed.

But it can be much worse for some people and they definitely can't work. So what else are they supposed to do? :(

• Helpful 4

Toran

I agree with you totally there willow I know there are a lot of people that take advantage of the system but there are very genuine people out there that desperately need the help the system provides we should be doing more to help them and not being critical of their needs.

• Helpful 2

mary

Uh, what's the internet got to do with it?  Someone has a different opinion so it annoys you?

• Helpful 2

Willow
Uh, what's the internet got to do with it?  Someone has a different opinion so it annoys you?

I understand why it might be hard for someone who has AS but doesn't need benefits to see how someone else with AS might need benefits.

I think maybe he meant that the interest pisses him off because when you read something, you can't tell what the person's intention or tone of voice was and so may take it the wrong way - it happens all the time :(

mary
No your right oakers its a very individual thing some people cope better than others with it and one person is never the same as another.It also depends on how much help and understanding you get in the work place which in my case was ZERO which was what contributed to the period of health issues I have at the moment. I can show empathy with those on benefits how does the old saying go.There for the grase of god goes I something like that but you get the point.

Indeed... a good saying that one to be fair.  I am thankful I'm in the position I'm in, but that doesn't mean it's been easy.  I might be able to get out to work and hold down a job, but that doesn't mean I can't see how difficult it must be for some with this diagnosis.  It's not always so cut and dried as some like to think.

• Helpful 1