• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Anxious

Benefits ?

Ben
I think maybe he meant that the interest pisses him off because when you read something, you can't tell what the person's intention or tone of voice was and so may take it the wrong way - it happens all the time :(

^ yes. Willow you saved me replying. 

mary
I understand why it might be hard for someone who has AS but doesn't need benefits to see how someone else with AS might need benefits.

I think maybe he meant that the interest pisses him off because when you read something, you can't tell what the person's intention or tone of voice was and so may take it the wrong way - it happens all the time :(

^ yes. Willow you saved me replying. 

Now see, that's all good and well when something you have read could be open to different interpretations, but I really don't see how your original comment AS can be taken any other way.  You stated that you don't see why anyone with AS needs benefits, except for an allowance for the train if they don't like crowds, otherwise no reason in your opinion.

How else are we meant to take that?

• Helpful 1

Willow
Now see, that's all good and well when something you have read could be open to different interpretations, but I really don't see how your original comment AS can be taken any other way.  You stated that you don't see why anyone with AS needs benefits, except for an allowance for the train if they don't like crowds, otherwise no reason in your opinion.

How else are we meant to take that?

I think the 'Perhaps allowances to travel first class on the train to avoid crowds? other than that, i can't see a reason.' part was a joke. In that it's obvious that it needs to be spent on more important things sometimes, for some people. It's fine that A-S warrior doesn't want to claim it out of principle, but maybe his joke was a little misguided. I think we should move on from it though - no harm was intended, I'm sure. But if we carry on hanging on to it and analyzing it, we'll stray from the topic too much.

• Helpful 2

Ben

On ASD uk i may of responded to you. But this is Willows forum, and i'm not going to upset her by starting an argument. (As this is the only way this will go) This isn't what this place is about. 

Drop it, or don't, but either way i'm not going to add anymore to this topic. 

Willow
On ASD uk i may of responded to you. But this is Willows forum, and i'm not going to upset her by starting an argument. (As this is the only way this will go) This isn't what this place is about. 

Drop it, or don't, but either way i'm not going to add anymore to this topic. 

MANOFSTEEL2013

Housing Benefit, Income support, DLA, ESA. Explanation long story but similar to a few of you

Heather

My boyfriend gets DLA too as well as ESA because he can't work.. he can't get a car and doesn't have his license (besides the learners) and so when he tried looking for a job he was severley limited to what he could work as and couldn't get a job anywhere.  So that's why he had to go back to university and so he will be able to get into a career he loves and can maybe even work from home! :)  I on the other hand live in Canada and we don't have DLA (maybe something similar but I don't care enough to look because I'm doing okay)and I was able to get a part time job which has helped me with confidences but I would not recommend anyone go into a job in fast food/customer service, especially not fellow people with AS and especially not my precious boyfriend.. he also has OCDs and PTSD so thoughts can get into his head and he has a hard time letting go and he would find work even harder than me.  Thats why we are working towards our goal.  My boyfriend is definitely not going to be on benefits forever because (as I was reminded of the last time I visited my boyfriend), people in the UK on benefits cannot support a partner on a fiance visa .. so basically any way of me and him being together, he can't be on benefits.. so.. definitely not taking advantage of the system.  It's just a way to keep people dependent on the government. Anyways.. it's good to have them there. 

specialstar

I get DLA because I need a lot of support. DLA pays towards my care and mobility i need support with. I also need my ESA as i dont work paid work only volunteer. I wouldnt be able to cope getting paid work because of my mood affects my day to day living so that means i cant always get up

Toran
I get DLA because I need a lot of support. DLA pays towards my care and mobility i need support with. I also need my ESA as i dont work paid work only volunteer. I wouldnt be able to cope getting paid work because of my mood affects my day to day living so that means i cant always get up

I understand where your coming from there it is difficult to function a lot of the time and somedays its almost impossible. Equally it would be easier to work if employers were understanding of our needs. It used to be called personel now they call it human resorses which is more acurate because people are a resorse to be used then discarded when they have nothing else to give. The way its going disabled or ill people are being labeled as scroungers and told by the goverment they are fit to work when they clearly arnt. Without employers being prepared to make nessesary adaptions in the workplace it looks pretty bleak. Theres always hope that things will change but thats a very small light at the end of the tunnel at the moment.

• Helpful 3

Andy
DLA is notwhats the word when it doesnt affect whilst u work. when ESA is whats the word awarded they put DLA as notcounted towards so it doesnt mean u lose your incomesupport

Well I lost income support when I lost middle rate DLA and that was the reason I was told. I have since inquired as I have struggled, but I have been told I am no longer entitled to income support. Whereas there is someone I know who is on middle rate with income support, studying for a degree at university and he has started a small business, his disability has not flared in years but he keeps his entitlement because he has a mental health team looking after his interests. But he lost his income support for a few months and then asked me how the hell do I survive on what I get, I said simple in order to have some sort of life just cut out or reduce what you can go without and so I don't have a TV so that is circa £160 a year saved, I buy second hand clothes or make them myself, I follow the immigrants to where they shop for food and of food I eat roughly every two days and so yes I am tired and weak most of the time but that is the only way as no one is hiring over forties AS adults that have been out of work for a few years and the DWP is not addressing the real problem and that is what the job centre report as the long term unemployed have lost their confidence and self respect, people need building up, not smashing down and lord knows there is a lot of smashing down going on in the UK of today in our less than compassionate society.

• Helpful 3

Toran

I couldnt agree more Andy its absolutely terrible how you are forced to live is beyond belief. People certainly need help in getting back on their feet not being forced further into poverty and ill health then they complain there are too many people who are sick. Also this coalition government closed down the factory where the disabled were working then in an article were patting themselves on the back for helping the disabled find work which probably wasnt true anyway its unbelievable makes me so angry at times.

• Helpful 1

Andy
I couldnt agree more Andy its absolutely terrible how you are forced to live is beyond belief. People certainly need help in getting back on their feet not being forced further into poverty and ill health then they complain there are too many people who are sick. Also this coalition government closed down the factory where the disabled were working then in an article were patting themselves on the back for helping the disabled find work which probably wasnt true anyway its unbelievable makes me so angry at times.

It's not only that, part of this coalition government sold of, destroyed or driven off industry in the 1980's without addressing the population issue which is set to get far worse even if immigration was stopped because people being born grow up and become adults and there need to work, with no heavy industry the old mass employers, what are we going to do ?

Personally I see far more people on benefits in the future either that or a distasteful alternative because if we don't have the industry, we cannot support our population. The other thing I can perhaps speculate on is a complete change of our political system and I believe it will need a change for this country to pull together or be forced to pull together and build itself up again as to face it this country became great because the populace did not have the freedoms or the luxuries we have today.

As to Remploy, my neighbour who has some mental health issue that creates slurred speech worked there, he is now out of work and spends his day riding around on buses with his free bus pass for something to do and has started drinking heavily.

Toran

I to can see a decline coming becsuse the maths dont add up and with an ageing population as well it can only get worse. They are expecting us to work longer into our sixtys even seventys I wouldnt be surprised and at the same time clamp down on the sick to try to get people to work instead. If your in an office you may manage it if you dont get sacked for sickness with all the ailments we get as we get older. What about all the driver in there sixtys seventys driving lorrys busses trains they wont disclose eye sight proplems or health issues because of the fear of losing their jobs. Then theres the construction sites manual workers how are they going to keep up productivity working next to a 20 or 30 year old they will have to go and be told to do something else have to learn to be an admin aassistant at mid 50s from a production line and it goes on gettinh crazeier. Then people will turn to drink or something else as support for depression like you said about your friend its a mad world and the awful thing is they actually expect it to work

Andy
I to can see a decline coming becsuse the maths dont add up and with an ageing population as well it can only get worse. They are expecting us to work longer into our sixtys even seventys I wouldnt be surprised and at the same time clamp down on the sick to try to get people to work instead. If your in an office you may manage it if you dont get sacked for sickness with all the ailments we get as we get older. What about all the driver in there sixtys seventys driving lorrys busses trains they wont disclose eye sight proplems or health issues because of the fear of losing their jobs. Then theres the construction sites manual workers how are they going to keep up productivity working next to a 20 or 30 year old they will have to go and be told to do something else have to learn to be an admin aassistant at mid 50s from a production line and it goes on gettinh crazeier. Then people will turn to drink or something else as support for depression like you said about your friend its a mad world and the awful thing is they actually expect it to work

Personally I think governments are running scared, they know it is coming, the point of social upheaval and with that their existence threatened, but make no doubts about it they have provisions in place to protect themselves and draconian laws will be wheeled out to put us in our place but the world is watching and that is what they have to be careful of, oppress too much and the world will take action as we do when we see it elsewhere.

As step in the right direction now would be to halt immigration and cut the child benefit to discourage births if we are going to survive our future, as to not do so we are heading for disaster.

The other thing which is a bit controversial but not unheard of for controlling populations is epidemics and I would not put that past mean men in power and so you may understand who I fear, I fear our government because they don't work for us.

Toran

Im afraid I havent looked that deep into it its a scary subject when you think about it but like I said nothing will surprise me because humans are capable of anything as history shows.

Andy
Im afraid I havent looked that deep into it its a scary subject when you think about it but like I said nothing will surprise me because humans are capable of anything as history shows.

Humans  will protect animals, but there are not as forthcoming with regards to their own species. But the swine flu and BSE outbreak is proof enough of how easy it is to spread infection.

mary

The government upsets me greatly with what they're up to.  I cannot believe that they expect people to work until the ages they are now stating... granted people are living longer, but seriously!?  The rate we're going I'm going to have to be 70 before I can think about retiring and that doesn't make me a happy bunny considering what I'm up against already.

I also think it's a ridiculous notion when they're saying there aren't enough jobs out there for the younger generation... yes, there's a great solution... make people work til they're older... that's really going to fix the problem.  That and the fact there seems to be absolutely no cap on immigration... well, there's not much down for it unless there's a major governmental change and soon. (And before anyone says anything about pots and kettles, yes I have British parents and I hold a British passport!!! ;P )

I cannot understand how they think that everyone on disability benefits are going to be able to get up one day and go to work either.  I do guess though that there is a minority spoiling it for everyone else :/  Threatening those on benefits really isn't the answer.  I do think, however, that if the benefits system is going to work properly it should be monitored properly.  If people become well enough to work, then they should be encouraged to and their benefits altered according to how much / little they can work etc.  What I do not like is the bully boy tactics that seem to be in place whereby the people that should be on benefits are running scared, or worse yet, not able to scrape by with the paltry money they are given.

• Helpful 3

Toran

I couldnt agree more oakers the situation is clearly out of hand now and the government havent got a clue what to do about it thats clear to see whatever they do just makes the situation worse. They see the disabled and the vulnerable as easy targets to try and cut their spenditure. Its just geared up to fail and nobody is doing anything to prevent the obvious from happening. Your right when you say benefits should be checked carefully but it has to be an honourable way allowing those who need it to keep their money and take it from the layabouts. There was a program on radio four where a disabled man hung himself because his benefit was stopped and he was in so much pain he could hardly move his parents were on and it was heartbreaking to listen to. The whole system needs to start again and get real people in who are there to care for people not to balance the books.

Sofi

Should i apply to get ESA as well? or should i not bother?

mary
I couldnt agree more oakers the situation is clearly out of hand now and the government havent got a clue what to do about it thats clear to see whatever they do just makes the situation worse. They see the disabled and the vulnerable as easy targets to try and cut their spenditure. Its just geared up to fail and nobody is doing anything to prevent the obvious from happening. Your right when you say benefits should be checked carefully but it has to be an honourable way allowing those who need it to keep their money and take it from the layabouts. There was a program on radio four where a disabled man hung himself because his benefit was stopped and he was in so much pain he could hardly move his parents were on and it was heartbreaking to listen to. The whole system needs to start again and get real people in who are there to care for people not to balance the books.

You're right, they shouldn't be taken away from people who genuinely need them and that was what I was trying to say in my previous post.  I think the government has a lot to answer for, as sadly I fear there will be more cases like that gentleman, for they see no other way forward or out of their situation. 

What amazes me is that the government are all over benefits like a rash, yet they won't address other issues that are causing problems like the banks, out of control immigration, foreign aid, European union issues etc. 

• Helpful 1

Toran
Should i apply to get ESA as well? or should i not bother?

Of course its worth going for if your entitled to by your condition you have to keep going until you get it. Its difficult I know but I would keepgoing sofi.

Andy

Now this is the real horror as it effects people on benefits of which the media are curiously taking little interest as if they are part of the plan, of which they are, they are the societal educators, it is they that create the divides as they report on what is happening in the UK both with government and everything else.

The Black Triangle Anti-Defamation Campaign in Defence of Disability Rights

Read it and weep, because I do, often, because it hurts that much what is being allowed to happen to defenceless people in the twenty first century first world nation that is the United Kingdom, right under our noses, but we know so little about it.

And that website is only one of many.

Willow
I cannot understand how they think that everyone on disability benefits are going to be able to get up one day and go to work either.  I do guess though that there is a minority spoiling it for everyone else :/  Threatening those on benefits really isn't the answer.  I do think, however, that if the benefits system is going to work properly it should be monitored properly.  If people become well enough to work, then they should be encouraged to and their benefits altered according to how much / little they can work etc.  What I do not like is the bully boy tactics that seem to be in place whereby the people that should be on benefits are running scared, or worse yet, not able to scrape by with the paltry money they are given.

This annoys me to - they treat Aspergers as something that you will miraculously be cured of. Sure, people can learn to cope a lot better and whatnot but not always. When I initially started claiming DLA I had to renew my claim yearly incase anything had changed and I was more able. Which confused me because my AS will always be there.

The other frustrating thing for me was when they sent out a professional to assess me. On my form I'd put that I couldn't walk outside alone because I panic etc and become less aware of dangers. On the part where it asked how far I could walk I didn't know what to put - and I don't know how far distances are; I really struggle with it, and I think I must have put something down that meant not a long way because he asked me to walk across the room - which of course I can. I explained that I'm able - aside from my clumsiness and not being able to judge quite where I am in relation to objects (and I'm a little risky with stairs, although I don't have them where I live now) - but that I just can't go outside alone, for any distance. He did other physical examinations, which made me super uncomfortable because he had to touch my legs. And I'm sat there thinking - why is is testing my physical capabilities when I've put them claim in for a metal disability...?

Anyway - he left and a while later my DLA was cut. To which I appealed and when I did this I got the notes from the guy who assessed me. He called AS a disease and spelled it wrongly. He knew nothing about it and yet he'd assessed me and advised I didn't need DLA. I got it back in the end - but the whole process was upsetting. Anyway - I'm glad my fiancé can work and does have a job - otherwise I'd have £150 a month to live off. :(

• Helpful 1

Toran

Thats terrible willow but its the same old story they arnt interested in the person or the issue they just follow these draconian rules and whoever does the assesment knows next to nothing about what they should be doing its all about cutting benefits to meet targets we arnt people just a thing to be assessed as quickly as possible with the intend of reducing numbers thats all they are interested in.

Sofi

I have had that assessment 2  times as well since it started going into my own account. The woman was touching my arms and legs too, I can't really have people touching me especially without a  warning and I am sensitive to touch. I am bad with walking up and down stairs too, I trip on my ankles a lot and I feel unstable going downstairs - I usually sit down and go down that way. I have bad spatial awareness I don't know where my body is.

If I applied to get ESA I would proably have to go through with this kind of assessment again so I am scared to.