• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Anxious

Benefits ?

Willow
I have had that assessment 2  times as well since it started going into my own account. The woman was touching my arms and legs too, I can't really have people touching me especially without a  warning and I am sensitive to touch. I am bad with walking up and down stairs too, I trip on my ankles a lot and I feel unstable going downstairs - I usually sit down and go down that way. I have bad spatial awareness I don't know where my body is.

I am the same. Sometimes on a bad day if I was particularly upset or stressed, I found it best to go downstairs by sitting down and going one at a time.

Oh, and the guy who assessed me took a personal call mid way through my assessment and spoke in a foreign language. How unprofessional :(

Toran
I have had that assessment 2  times as well since it started going into my own account. The woman was touching my arms and legs too, I can't really have people touching me especially without a  warning and I am sensitive to touch. I am bad with walking up and down stairs too, I trip on my ankles a lot and I feel unstable going downstairs - I usually sit down and go down that way. I have bad spatial awareness I don't know where my body is.

If I applied to get ESA I would proably have to go through with this kind of assessment again so I am scared to.

I can see why your reluctant to do this although with this is there anyway you can have your doctor to make an application to explain thid. Im not used to the benefit system so im not sure what can or cant be done.

• Helpful 1

Sofi
I am the same. Sometimes on a bad day if I was particularly upset or stressed, I found it best to go downstairs by sitting down and going one at a time.

Oh, and the guy who assessed me took a personal call mid way through my assessment and spoke in a foreign language. How unprofessional :(

The  amount of times I've hurt my foot on the last step or just fallen down the stairs!  

I could not even speak to the woman, my mum had to speak . I don't think they  should assess again, I will still be the same probably, unless I do apply for the ESA then I will need to go through it again

Toran
The  amount of times I've hurt my foot on the last step or just fallen down the stairs!  

I could not even speak to the woman, my mum had to speak . I don't think they  should assess again, I will still be the same probably, unless I do apply for the ESA then I will need to go through it again

I think the whole system stinks they shouldnt put people through this they should understand the needs of the people they are surposed to be helping.

Andy
I think the whole system stinks they shouldnt put people through this they should understand the needs of the people they are surposed to be helping.

I think those that devise this abuse should be put through a similar system to ascertain their worth as a human.

• Helpful 1

Heather

I agree with you all.. looks like the UK government seriously needs to reform.  When I heard that they were still giving out foreign aid even though their own citizens weren't doing that well.. that pretty much appalled me.  I don't have to worry about being an immigrant because even if I move to the UK one day for a bit, I'll end up putting more money into the country than ever taking out. :P  That's why it's so expensive!  It's the EU thing though I believe.. because people can move freer within the EU?  I think they should have more qualified people doing the DLA assessments at least, they need to know the disabilities they are assessing.  I know my boyfriend's dad had to survive on quite a minimal amount and he would be the same today but luckily my boyfriend gets enough on his DLA and ESA that they can get enough food, electric, and all the other necessities and be able to live okay.  I know one fear my boyfriend had was.. before he decided university was the best way to get a job he could actually do.. he wanted to try and get a job, but wasn't sure if he could do it... and he was afraid if he said he could and tried and got a job but then realized he actually wasn't able to handle the job.. he would have a harder time getting benefits again because the system would think he's fit for work.  Even when he's not.  The whole UK system needs help I think.  Most governments need help.. priorities in the wrong order. :(  They should be helping their own citizens first..

Andy

The UK government is losing respect fast as to think all of the sick and disabled they are shafting won't  be voting for them in just over two years time.

But the foreign aid issue is a bone of contention in the UK where many are saying charity begins at home, but then foreign aid is in fact a political tool which is used to curry favour for British politics and business.

• Helpful 3

Toran
The UK government is losing respect fast as to think all of the sick and disabled they are shafting won't  be voting for them in just over two years time.

But the foreign aid issue is a bone of contention in the UK where many are saying charity begins at home, but then foreign aid is in fact a political tool which is used to curry favour for British politics and business.

Id agree with that its all about buisness nothing to do with helping people at all. If they really wanted to help people they could start by making the health service better looking after the disabled and infirm in this country where they have the power to actually do something about it. You only have to look at what goes on to see how much they really care. The old saying is true actions speak louder than words about says it really. ( I never understood that took my parents ages to get me to understand that when I was younger)

mary

Very professional when they are supposed to be there assessing people to see what is going on in their lives, and seeing which benefits they need.  I love how this is all such a joke to them :/

I also don't understand why they don't send people that might have a bit of a clue about whatever diagnosis the person they are assessing has.  It doesn't take a genius to figure that part out :(

• Helpful 1

Sofi
Very professional when they are supposed to be there assessing people to see what is going on in their lives, and seeing which benefits they need.  I love how this is all such a joke to them :/

I also don't understand why they don't send people that might have a bit of a clue about whatever diagnosis the person they are assessing has.  It doesn't take a genius to figure that part out :(

Yes, a lot of those type of people and even GP doctors don't seem to know very much about Autism / Aspergers. As if it is not real or something

mary

See, the problem with that is it's fine when a country has money.  But we apparently don't have money and are heading for a triple dip recession.  So, to curry favour with the rest of the world, we'll screw our own people into the ground and not use some of the money that they're throwing around for foreign aid to use in making this country great again.  It doesn't make any sense to me.  They could still give foreign aid, just not so much of it.  I don't see anyone helping us out with aid.

Id agree with that its all about buisness nothing to do with helping people at all. If they really wanted to help people they could start by making the health service better looking after the disabled and infirm in this country where they have the power to actually do something about it. You only have to look at what goes on to see how much they really care. The old saying is true actions speak louder than words about says it really. ( I never understood that took my parents ages to get me to understand that when I was younger)

If the NHS didn't have to treat everyone that walked through the doors of hospitals we'd not have so much of a problem.  The issue arises in that people from overseas are coming and using the NHS for whatever reason they need and then going back home.

Another thing I see as a problem is how so many people are allowed to work here but send up to 90% or so of their money back to their home country.  It's great that people can bring skills to the country that we might not have (I find this truly hard to believe that no one here could do these jobs though) but the money should, for the most part, stay in this country as if money keeps leaving there's nothing left to circulate and the economy will be even more screwed.

(PS I have no problem with anyone coming here and working, just not so much when all their wage leaves the country)

mary
Yes, a lot of those type of people and even GP doctors don't seem to know very much about Autism / Aspergers. As if it is not real or something

And if they have a patient who has been diagnosed they should do their bit to learn at least a little about it.  My GP is good like that.  I went to him asking if I could be referred about EDS and he went and read more about it, as he had a limited knowledge, and then agreed that it sounded like I had it and sent a referral for me.  That's how it should work... or if they see something in someone that they're not 100% sure about they should research a little more about it.  Surely it's good for them and their patients to have a more broadened knowledge base.

Stressmonster

This thread has taught me one thing. I'm glad i live in Norway.  Even more greatfull now then before. Feel for those that don't have the kind of healthcare we have.

Edit : Spelling...

Edited by Stressmonster

Andy
See, the problem with that is it's fine when a country has money.  But we apparently don't have money and are heading for a triple dip recession.  So, to curry favour with the rest of the world, we'll screw our own people into the ground and not use some of the money that they're throwing around for foreign aid to use in making this country great again.  It doesn't make any sense to me.  They could still give foreign aid, just not so much of it.  I don't see anyone helping us out with aid.

How about this for a suggestion, maybe the country was not as broke as we were led to believe as to face it we don't trust politicians on much else they say, so why would we trust them to speak the truth in this respect, one either trusts politicians or they don't and I don't. But it is a known fact the conservative party want to dismantle the welfare state, so wasn't it convenient that we were so broke when the tory's took power, where they set about dismantling the welfare state, this is policy not necessity, as you will notice they are not so diligent in their venom when it comes to those that dodge taxes. But the NHS is part of the target, certain mentalities want to make money off of people's health via shares. as undoubtedly those that rule the country have shares in everything else that was sold off with the last tory government.

Tory meaning ; 

They don't hide nick name, I wonder why ?

• Helpful 4

Toran

Totally agree there oakers its not too difficult to figure out.

mary
Totally agree there oakers its not too difficult to figure out.

Indeed it isn't.  So much about the way people are treated is infuriating.  I cannot understand why people are so ignorant at times.

Toran
This thread had taught me one thing. I'm glad i live in Norway.  Even more greatfull now then before. Feel for those that don't have the kind of healtcare we have.

Its difficult here to say the least but there are plenty of decent people trying to change things for the better will be a hard task but I support them all the way. I dont know if it will ever be sorted all we can do is try.

mary
How about this for a suggestion, maybe the country was not as broke as we were led to believe as to face it we don't trust politicians on much else they say, so why would we trust them to speak the truth in this respect, one either trusts politicians or they don't and I don't. But it is a known fact the conservative party want to dismantle the welfare state, so wasn't it convenient that we were so broke when the tory's took power, where they set about dismantling the welfare state, this is policy not necessity, as you will notice they are not so diligent in their venom when it comes to those that dodge taxes. But the NHS is part of the target, certain mentalities want to make money off of people's health via shares. as undoubtedly those that rule the country have shares in everything else that was sold off with the last tory government.

Tory meaning ; 

They don't hide nick name, I wonder why ?

Again, you make some very interesting points.  I'd agree that perhaps we're not as broke as they claim.  It saddens me that they are trying, and succeeding in places, to dismantle the NHS.  I know a few hospital trusts have gone under already and it is likely that many more will follow as they can't meet the requirements to be Foundation Trusts.  The problem for the workers is, once a Trust becomes a Foundation Trust they can pretty much do whatever they like and I think that includes cutting wages etc.

If the government spent more time trying to fix what was broken, instead of trying to break what was working quite well, we'd be doing a lot better.  They can't seem to see that we had a great health system, that sadly began to be abused more and more by people that actually had no right to be using the services provided.

mary
This thread had taught me one thing. I'm glad i live in Norway.  Even more greatfull now then before. Feel for those that don't have the kind of healtcare we have.

There are many great things about your beautiful country and I must admit I was tempted to come over there for a bit when a friend asked me to, but given I couldn't converse in Norwegian I decided against it.  I figure if you're going to stay somewhere you should at least be able to make yourself understood.

Toran
Indeed it isn't.  So much about the way people are treated is infuriating.  I cannot understand why people are so ignorant at times.

Neither can I after all its basic decency common sence and understanding what your doing. I think its because they are looking at balance sheets and saving the money. In health care money shouldnt be relevant at all they have the money to fight endless wars but not enough to provide decent health care, the whole system is bonkers.

• Helpful 1

mary
Neither can I after all its basic decency common sence and understanding what your doing. I think its because they are looking at balance sheets and saving the money. In health care money shouldnt be relevant at all they have the money to fight endless wars but not enough to provide decent health care, the whole system is bonkers.

Ahh but you don't look as good saving your own people as you do supposedly fighting the good fight and 'helping' others!  ARGH!!

• Helpful 1

Stressmonster

There are many great things about your beautiful country and I must admit I was tempted to come over there for a bit when a friend asked me to, but given I couldn't converse in Norwegian I decided against it.  I figure if you're going to stay somewhere you should at least be able to make yourself understood.

Some language courses should be able to take care of that. (but i'm going off topic now...)

Toran
Ahh but you don't look as good saving your own people as you do supposedly fighting the good fight and 'helping' others!  ARGH!!

Thats true I guess its just peculiar that all these countrys happen to have oil or minerals strange that.

• Helpful 1

mary
Thats true I guess its just peculiar that all these countrys happen to have oil or minerals strange that.

Very strange!!  ;)  All this all does is make me more cynical as time goes on... You should be able to trust what your government is doing, and that it's the right thing for the country.  Apparently not though eh!

• Helpful 1

Toran
Very strange!!  ;)  All this all does is make me more cynical as time goes on... You should be able to trust what your government is doing, and that it's the right thing for the country.  Apparently not though eh!

No definitely not in an idea world thats the way it should be but its going to take an awful lot for governments to earn my trust again that will be when you see a real difference to peoples lives. I think its best I dont hold my breath while I wait though

• Helpful 1