• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Anxious

Benefits ?

mary
No definitely not in an idea world thats the way it should be but its going to take an awful lot for governments to earn my trust again that will be when you see a real difference to peoples lives. I think its best I dont hold my breath while I wait though

No, best not.  Can't see any big changes happening for a long time. 

• Helpful 1

Toran
No, best not.  Can't see any big changes happening for a long time. 

No we arnt im afraid theres going to be an awful lot of debate but very little practical changes.

mary
No we arnt im afraid theres going to be an awful lot of debate but very little practical changes.

And one of the biggest problems, in my opinion, is that most of these MPs don't know what it's like to be 'us', the normal people, the people that they're actually supposed to be working for.  They're mostly all paid far too high a wage for the job they do, and a lot of them are born into money so have no idea what it's like to have to use the NHS because you don't have the option to go private, or to have to save for what you want when it doesn't even cost that much, or to have to watch what you spend because you've got to decide whether you want heat or food (the plight of the elderly in this country is heart breaking).

GRRR... I get so annoyed with politicians... they've really no idea what it's like in the real world.

• Helpful 3

Toran
And one of the biggest problems, in my opinion, is that most of these MPs don't know what it's like to be 'us', the normal people, the people that they're actually supposed to be working for.  They're mostly all paid far too high a wage for the job they do, and a lot of them are born into money so have no idea what it's like to have to use the NHS because you don't have the option to go private, or to have to save for what you want when it doesn't even cost that much, or to have to watch what you spend because you've got to decide whether you want heat or food (the plight of the elderly in this country is heart breaking).

GRRR... I get so annoyed with politicians... they've really no idea what it's like in the real world.

Totally agree with everything you said they seem to live in a world all of their own and have no idea about what people go through just to get by these days. We have no choice like you said they can pretty much decide whatever they do they have no worries. Another thing that anoys me is that some of these doctors get trained through the NHS then after they have had years of learning they head off to private practice and as far as I know they dont have to pay anything back so leaving the NHS short of doctors and the waiting lists growing longer all the time. Its very fustrating and does make you realy mad and fustrated that theres little you can do about it.

• Helpful 1

mary
Totally agree with everything you said they seem to live in a world all of their own and have no idea about what people go through just to get by these days. We have no choice like you said they can pretty much decide whatever they do they have no worries. Another thing that anoys me is that some of these doctors get trained through the NHS then after they have had years of learning they head off to private practice and as far as I know they dont have to pay anything back so leaving the NHS short of doctors and the waiting lists growing longer all the time. Its very fustrating and does make you realy mad and fustrated that theres little you can do about it.

Very interesting point you made there about the NHS and doctors, I hadn't even really thought about that, which is a bit silly as I've worked in the NHS for over 12 years now.  I guess a lot of the time when they go private they've usually got a lot of years under their belt after qualifying though so have paid their dues so to speak... well at least I guess so.

Toran
Very interesting point you made there about the NHS and doctors, I hadn't even really thought about that, which is a bit silly as I've worked in the NHS for over 12 years now.  I guess a lot of the time when they go private they've usually got a lot of years under their belt after qualifying though so have paid their dues so to speak... well at least I guess so.

I guess they stay there for some time im not really sure if there are any stipulations but like you said they probably have to do some time to get experience before they head off into private medicine.

Andy
I guess they stay there for some time im not really sure if there are any stipulations but like you said they probably have to do some time to get experience before they head off into private medicine.

I look  at this way, you are trained by this country you work for this country, if you had no intention of working for this country, you get your education elsewhere and with that, the funding. But doctors are a lot of the problem with the NHS, not so much those that work in hospitals who are generally over taxed and not paid accordingly, but the problem is  GP's who are largely administrative these days, in that they refer to others perhaps too much. But my belief is private does not exist in the NHS and so NHS facilities should not be used for private work.

But doctors how are they different from say mechanics ? As to face it, a mechanic gets it wrong with a machine, that machine can kill all too easily, yet mechanics are largely ignored, whereas a doctor that gets it wrong and kills they generally don't get the hassle.

I used to be a P.A.T. tester, an onerous job, mind numbingly boring, but I as a P.A.T. tester was the final person to say a machine using lethal voltages and currents was safe to use by anyone including the untrained, basically the public. Our responsibilities were driven home we could face imprisonment if we got it wrong, my question is are medics drilled with the fact if they also got it wrong will they also face imprisonment as to understand the recent Stafford report indicates medics that got it wrong are going to get away with what they did, - why ? Why are medics excluded from bad practice ?

Hasten to say P.A.T. testing despite being onerous was high stress and paid peanuts, like £1 an item, can you see the potential for abuse in so low rates of pay ?

Medics get away quite literally with murder and this fact is sinking in to the general public, with many that fear hospital treatment.

My own recent dealings with the NHS have revealed wastage and incompetence, they messed me around that much for me to start investigating and asking difficult questions and the result is I did not trust their finding that much I was forced to ask online regards test results where the NHS has said there is no problem, but one test result from asking online reveals the possibility of a brain tumor of which the NHS has not told me about nor sought further testing. Me being a person not scared to research and question will be putting a difficult question to my GP very soon as to why they told me everything is okay when it clearly isn't as high follicle stimulating hormone in a male has to be investigated further because there are some very dire causes, a few of them life threatening. I feel let down by the NHS of whom I always believed in

But then I am wholly aware there is an anti male bias in the NHS that goes as far as ministerial level.

• Helpful 1

Willow

Just got a letter explaining Personal Independence Payment - and also telling me again about my current DLA claim. For some magical reason, I've managed to be entitled to DLA 'indefinitely' (that's actually what it says) so I'm not expecting to have to apply for the PIP thing until 2015, according to this letter. :D

Sofi
Just got a letter explaining Personal Independence Payment - and also telling me again about my current DLA claim. For some magical reason, I've managed to be entitled to DLA 'indefinitely' (that's actually what it says) so I'm not expecting to have to apply for the PIP thing until 2015, according to this letter. :D

I got a letter like that recently too, and it said I would be getting extra £3 a week from March 2013 

Willow
I got a letter like that recently too, and it said I would be getting extra £3 a week from March 2013 

hehe lucky you, I get 90p extra per week :D

Andy

I just got a letter telling me my benefits have been cut because I have savings of which I do not, I was being honest on the form and declared £250 quid in my current account which was benefits paid being saved until the end of the month where bills have to be paid leaving nothing, so in effect my benefits have been cut because I get paid benefits.

One thing I am learning in this once great country of ours, be honest and you will be penalised, be crooked and you will do well. what a society !

Sofi
I just got a letter telling me my benefits have been cut because I have savings of which I do not, I was being honest on the form and declared £250 quid in my current account which was benefits paid being saved until the end of the month where bills have to be paid leaving nothing, so in effect my benefits have been cut because I get paid benefits.

One thing I am learning in this once great country of ours, be honest and you will be penalised, be crooked and you will do well. what a society !

That is bad, I think you should go back to them and tell them what that money was and it will be gone after you've paid your bills. I know that they probably won't believe you though   :( 

Andy
That is bad, I think you should go back to them and tell them what that money was and it will be gone after you've paid your bills. I know that they probably won't believe you though   :(

I think the lesson is there to be seen, don't be honest with them in future as to face it the way these forms are structured, we are encouraged to lie because tick boxes are hardly precise.

But I am accepting of the fact the DWP is making it's best attempt to boot as many off benefits as possible via their kangaroo court ; ATOS and so I understand the compassion and fairness this country was known for us being destroyed and with it the British people.

So I am resigning myself to the sad fact of what we have become for to face it and be brutally honest us benefit scoungers are scum to be treated accordingly and there my belief the Britain I used to know has gone.

I don't much care anymore.

Willow
I think the lesson is there to be seen, don't be honest with them in future as to face it the way these forms are structured, we are encouraged to lie because tick boxes are hardly precise.

But I am accepting of the fact the DWP is making it's best attempt to boot as many off benefits as possible via their kangaroo court ; ATOS and so I understand the compassion and fairness this country was known for us being destroyed and with it the British people.

So I am resigning myself to the sad fact of what we have become for to face it and be brutally honest us benefit scoungers are scum to be treated accordingly and there my belief the Britain I used to know has gone.

I don't much care anymore.

:( Were you on the lowest rate and so they've cut it completely, or on a higher rate and you now get a lower rate?

Andy

Mid rate care DLA now cut to low rate for care and mobility, but it was ESA to which I was referring in the above. I have just done the form for I guess what is DLA or what it is to be replaced with and quite frankly I am not holding out a lot of hope  as I made a bit of a mess of the form and it went in late, as although I did try to get guidance from the usual help agencies, all were over subscribed and no appointments were available, so I did it on my own, which is never a good idea but stil that is what one has to do when there is no other option.

I feel I am slowly but surely being pushed off benefits and what is coming is inevitable and unstoppable for we just must be punished for what the daily wail reveals is four million benefit scroungers who have never worked a day in their life. All this of course plays into the hands of the mean politicians who just have to respond and they do with pleasure.

Willow
Mid rate care DLA now cut to low rate for care and mobility, but it was ESA to which I was referring in the above. I have just done the form for I guess what is DLA or what it is to be replaced with and quite frankly I am not holding out a lot of hope  as I made a bit of a mess of the form and it went in late, as although I did try to get guidance from the usual help agencies, all were over subscribed and no appointments were available, so I did it on my own, which is never a good idea but stil that is what one has to do when there is no other option.

I feel I am slowly but surely being pushed off benefits and what is coming is inevitable and unstoppable for we just must be punished for what the daily wail reveals is four million benefit scroungers who have never worked a day in their life. All this of course plays into the hands of the mean politicians who just have to respond and they do with pleasure.

:( that's awful - how will you survive, low rate DLA is barely anything?

Andy

I will survive as I always have making cuts here and there so I can, but the trouble is all this actually creates depression.

mary

Andy, that is terrible :/  I cannot believe that our government thinks that this is any way acceptable or ok!  I really do despair sometimes.  Can you appeal?  I know you have said you don't much care anymore, but it might be worth it until you can get yourself some form of paid employment :(

• Helpful 2

Andy
Andy, that is terrible :/  I cannot believe that our government thinks that this is any way acceptable or ok!  I really do despair sometimes.  Can you appeal?  I know you have said you don't much care anymore, but it might be worth it until you can get yourself some form of paid employment :(

I am going to have to see MIND as I know from past experience they are on my side, I also want to see them to see if they know where I can get a subsidised workshop from, there must be something available somewhere as I have started doing my crafts again and am now covered in horn dust as I have been sanding down a cow's horn in preparation for hot shaping and eventually turning it into a drinking horn to do with what, I don't know yet, but it was hanging around the flat so I just got on with it. But I have made them before and cast the fittings so it can be slung and made stands so they can be propped up, so they are no problem really This one holds one and a half pints of ale and it might end up down the pub yet as the locals take in their own tankards so why not a drinking horn.

• Helpful 1

Sofi
I am going to have to see MIND as I know from past experience they are on my side, I also want to see them to see if they know where I can get a subsidised workshop from, there must be something available somewhere as I have started doing my crafts again and am now covered in horn dust as I have been sanding down a cow's horn in preparation for hot shaping and eventually turning it into a drinking horn to do with what, I don't know yet, but it was hanging around the flat so I just got on with it. But I have made them before and cast the fittings so it can be slung and made stands so they can be propped up, so they are no problem really This one holds one and a half pints of ale and it might end up down the pub yet as the locals take in their own tankards so why not a drinking horn.

Good luck. If you did that, would that be considered a job to the benefits people? Would you make money from it? Where do you live where people attend pubs? 

Andy
Good luck. If you did that, would that be considered a job to the benefits people? Would you make money from it? Where do you live where people attend pubs? 

Pubs; The South Hams area of Devon, but if I can get moving it will be self employment, making stuff is the first step, selling is the second and I have family help with selling so my main concern is getting a workshop and start making.

I could make in my flat as I have done before, but noise is a problem so had to transport my anvil out  as the neighbours complained. but otherwise I am meant to be living in my flat not operating a metal craft business in here and really some of the stuff I have in here in terms of acids and other chemicals should not be here neither should the propane cylinder for my gas torch.

I need somewhere to go to every day, a workshop not what I currently have, but on benefits I can afford nothing and no one is lending to benefit scroungers to start businesses.

Toran

Ive been reading the threads and thats absolutely discusting how benefits are for people here, ive bern fortunate not to have had to claim them at least not so far anyway. This government doesnt care they are more interested in getting people to work for dole money in shops for experience ha ha so the employers get free labour and dont have to employee so many staff talk about the old boys network. Yes I have trouble comunicating and struggling with personal problems but I certainly feel like doing something about this shameful situation of benefits for any disabled person.Maybe an online forum to highten awarness or free on line news where people can put as much details as they can prove. I dont know but im so angry I feel anything is better than nothing.

Sofi
Pubs; The South Hams area of Devon, but if I can get moving it will be self employment, making stuff is the first step, selling is the second and I have family help with selling so my main concern is getting a workshop and start making.

I could make in my flat as I have done before, but noise is a problem so had to transport my anvil out  as the neighbours complained. but otherwise I am meant to be living in my flat not operating a metal craft business in here and really some of the stuff I have in here in terms of acids and other chemicals should not be here neither should the propane cylinder for my gas torch.

I need somewhere to go to every day, a workshop not what I currently have, but on benefits I can afford nothing and no one is lending to benefit scroungers to start businesses.

Good luck. I hope you can appeal or get something done about your ESA. I was thinking about applying to get ESA but I don't know. I wish I had a skill like yours that would be able to turn into work for me.

In Devon, do people take their own cups to the pub to drink out of? That is interesting.... 

Andy
Good luck. I hope you can appeal or get something done about your ESA. I was thinking about applying to get ESA but I don't know. I wish I had a skill like yours that would be able to turn into work for me.

In Devon, do people take their own cups to the pub to drink out of? That is interesting.... 

The pubs around here are village pubs where the patrons are known if not by name then by sight and so it is accepted as customary for regular patrons to bring in their own tankard if they wish, that being their tankard whichever pub it is in means that pub they will use which is good for that business but to get over the licensing rules a pint is poured into a pint glass first and then poured into the tankard. The tankards have the added bonus that when they get dropped they don't smash.

But these village pubs are the only pubs I will go to because they are all family pubs where the riff raff and trouble makers are not served as their business is not wanted, they go to another about a mile away which regularly get closed down because of fighting and drug peddling but the riff raff should learn if they want a pub to go to, stop misbehaving.

These pubs are safe environments where one of them my more local the landlady also teaches in an aspie school as one of her sons is aspie, so she is helpful, the other pub the landlord is an ex Glasgow high ranking copper and he knows my issues and so will not put up with problem people as both pubs value their regulars over and above big spending fly by nights that cause problems. That pub also serves the local Royal Marine base and the marines daren't put a foot wrong in there as it will get back to the military and the military have their own ways of dealing with trouble makers.

So aspie friendly pubs really, but mostly just safe pubs to go to when one can afford to, which is not often these days, where I only go now to attend pub quizzes, where in one of the pubs I sometimes repair stuff in exchange for beer, where another brings in seasoned oak offcuts for the fires in exchange for beer and another local unemployed sometimes assists with the repairs to the building and gardening in exchange for food and beer. But when any of us have been out fishing anything useful the cookie wants gets exchanged for beer. Which is what a pub was all about in the past, it was a community house for villagers.

• Helpful 1

Sofi
The pubs around here are village pubs where the patrons are known if not by name then by sight and so it is accepted as customary for regular patrons to bring in their own tankard if they wish, that being their tankard whichever pub it is in means that pub they will use which is good for that business but to get over the licensing rules a pint is poured into a pint glass first and then poured into the tankard. The tankards have the added bonus that when they get dropped they don't smash.

But these village pubs are the only pubs I will go to because they are all family pubs where the riff raff and trouble makers are not served as their business is not wanted, they go to another about a mile away which regularly get closed down because of fighting and drug peddling but the riff raff should learn if they want a pub to go to, stop misbehaving.

These pubs are safe environments where one of them my more local the landlady also teaches in an aspie school as one of her sons is aspie, so she is helpful, the other pub the landlord is an ex Glasgow high ranking copper and he knows my issues and so will not put up with problem people as both pubs value their regulars over and above big spending fly by nights that cause problems. That pub also serves the local Royal Marine base and the marines daren't put a foot wrong in there as it will get back to the military and the military have their own ways of dealing with trouble makers.

So aspie friendly pubs really, but mostly just safe pubs to go to when one can afford to, which is not often these days, where I only go now to attend pub quizzes, where in one of the pubs I sometimes repair stuff in exchange for beer, where another brings in seasoned oak offcuts for the fires in exchange for beer and another local unemployed sometimes assists with the repairs to the building and gardening in exchange for food and beer. But when any of us have been out fishing anything useful the cookie wants gets exchanged for beer. Which is what a pub was all about in the past, it was a community house for villagers.

That is interesting, I always think of pubs as places where trouble and fights happen but these that you describe sound okay. It is good you have somewhere like that to go to socialise. It sounds like your business idea would appeal to these people if you can manage get it going