• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Anxious

Benefits ?

Aeolienne

Last month I had a phone conversation with the National Autistic Society's welfare adviser. She reckons that I would score at most 6 for the PIP eligibility criteria, i.e. 4 for "engaging with other people face-to-face" and 2 for "making budgeting decisions", which falls below the 8-point threshold. TBH I hadn't thought I would meet any of the criteria given that I can cook a meal, use public transport and have lived independently as an owner-occupier in the past. I'm effectively ruled out for the Freedom Pass as I have a driving licence (albeit I haven't used it for over two years following an accident).

I am unable to claim income-based jobseeker’s allowance because of owning a flat I don’t live in. The flat is in Exeter, where I was in full-time employment between 2003 and 2009. After losing my job in Exeter, I was on the dole for a year before being offered a job in Skipton, North Yorkshire. I let out the Exeter flat and moved up north, but unfortunately I was dismissed from the Skipton job after just five months in December 2010. It was only after I went to sign on that I learnt that I was ineligible for any means-tested benefits. Hence the decision to move in with my parents in London, which was supposed to have been a temporary measure but sadly has lasted for over three years with no discernible resolution in sight.

I was last in work for six months between February and August of this year (a fixed contract with no possibility of extension). I applied for contribution-based jobseeker’s allowance after I left, but I was turned down due to having made sufficient NI contributions for the financial years 2011/12 and 2012/13. For the record I was employed during those years for four months and two months respectively.

So that's it. I have to say it does seem odd that this Government makes out that home ownership is a Good Thing, and presumably labour mobility is likewise, yet I’ve been penalised for doing both.

MrClayton

I think I'm eligible for PIP, but the whole process seems more complex and long-winded than it's worth since they reformed it :/ I think I'll just continue to work part time with an end goal of being sustainably self employed as soon as possible! 

waterboatman

For five to six years I cared for my mother, only for the last six months of her life did I receive any benefit, the attendance allowance, life was becoming expensive.

After her death and the sale of the house, I tried to buy somewhere to live and live off the remaining money, it seemed like a good idea, everyone thought I would be dead within a year.

Narrow canal boat living on a budget is a very bad idea, and handling a boat on ones own is a nightmare. Needless to say the money quickly went and the boat was eventually sold for little more than scrap value just six months ago.

I was persuaded by my sister to travel to her part of the world, aided by herself and husband. Also pushed into claiming JSA, I did not want to, that was eighteen months ago.

JSA, the pointless bureaucracy, inept "jobs worth"/"little hitlers" and unqualified others, made the process more hard to bare than it should be, my health declined, it was not that good to start with. Walking from the train station to Job Centre (about 3/4 mile) was taking an hour, I can not cope with buses.

Enough thought I, I will get one of these "scooters", I had thought of a bicycle, sitting on it with some help, meant I had to helped off it really quickly, unbelievable pain shooting up my back. The scooter was little better, I collapsed, from there to ESA on the minimal evaluation rate, the same as JSA.

ESA is not a smooth trip, it is confusing, aimed at stopping the ill from claiming? No wonder there are so many homeless people. Sickness benefits are only for the well who can cope with it??  

A year then ATOS, I was having a bad day and was two kilograms overweight, so I was completely glued to the seat of my wheelchair, ATOS exists purely to find reasons why the sick can work and so can not claim ESA, so the wheelchair traps where tried, seating the other side of the desk near the window in such a way that one has to pass through a very narrow ally between the wall and the desk, the cheap chinese chairs would have been too wide, mine is custom built and narrower, yet still not much room, and me being overweight, no way was I going to stand "my ankles will explode".  That blacking out a few times? and being seen by a NZ doctor.

ESA "support group" and unbelievably a full years back dated payment for the difference between rates.

I have applied for PIP, about six months ago.

I took the fist property that was thought remotely suitable as soon as I qualified for a place on the list, a change in "housing officer" and his idea to value the boat, low value meant first place on priority list.

Full housing benefit.

Even though I qualify for physical aid from the local council, I am not receiving it, I think being "accused" of Aspergers and being on the waiting list for the diagnoses , means they can say that I should be some other departments problem and not theirs. I shall see not to long after my appointment on the 15th, I hope.

Benefits rely on intelligent caring people being responsible for dealing with the claim or service.

Budget short falls means, that these people have to lie to applicants, its obvious, so a differing approach working around the "budget", charities, and me paying using my DWP back payment for services, thats if they can get workarounds past the department "jobs worth/little hitler"?

I would not claim if I did not have too.

I would rather work productivity, its not possible, I am not mobile, and dosed high on pain killers, my judgement is probably like someone with a crate of strong beer in them, I am typing for longer than is wise, use makes everything hurt. I still want to work somehow, any realistic ideas?

Pain coming back on stream, now my aching bones and joints are starting to scream again. Its easy to overdose on these pills, now the Exit door seems to be insight, and I like my doctor, I do not want to take my life with these pills, so care is needed. Crazy really as its an opiate so judgement is not good, I should wait another hour.

If intelligent systems were used to handle "Benefits" then it would actually be more cost effective, but then intelligence and governments do not normally go together.

OliveOilMom

In the USA we have SSI disability that you can get but it takes a very long time to get it.  You have to go through lots of doctors and go to court etc, etc.  It's usually denied the first time someone tries to get it and you have to try several times before you actually do get it.  You also have to have a lawyer most of the time because it's a difficult process.

I know quite a few people who are on it and some of them legitimately need it while a few others simply get it and either don't work or work for cash under the table because it's very easy to get around the system.  It isn't fair but it's very common.  Lots of times people who don't need it get it and people who need it can't get it.  I've heard that my youngest son could get it because he's completely deaf in one ear from birth and while I think he's got mild AS because of quite a few symptoms and signs that I've noticed in him, I've told him about it but he's not at all interested in going to a doctor and finding out.  His social skills are great but I've seen a whole lot of other things that scream AS to me.  He's pretty hardcore about taking life as it comes and he won't even get an implant so he can hear out of the bad ear.  He's 19 now, 20 at the end of this month, and he's been working at a factory since last fall and he's worked odd jobs for cash under the table on and off since he's been old enough to work, and he wants to work rather than just collect benefits, even though he probably could collect them, and he he can work very well.  I have a friend who is in his late 30's and was doing construction work and fell through the roof of a building he was working on.  He only fell one story about ten feet but he hurt his back and he was able to get disability.  He can work and does work under the table for cash.  He does yard work for people, scraps metal, helps people move, does odd jobs when people pay him in cash.  He also sells pot.  He and his wife have three kids and they get disability, welfare, food stamps, medicaid and section 8 housing.  Both the parents are able to work, they just don't want to.  They make more through benefits than they could at a job because neither finished high school and they don't have much education.  Right now they are living large because their oldest daughter who is about 19 or 20 was in a motorcycle wreck last year and she had some pretty serious injuries but she's doing fine now.  She got a big settlement from the insurance company and now she has disability too because of her injuries.  She had graduated high school but she's only worked at Subway before this.  I have another friend who gets disability because of her back problems caused by her weight and her husband gets it because he has schizophrenia.  They both have Medicaid as well and go to several different doctors and get tons of prescriptions and actually sell most of their meds except for a few that they keep which they think they need.  They get by just on their disability, medicaid and food stamps.  They don't get welfare (ADC here in Alabama) because they don't have kids at home.  They rent a small, crappy trailer and make the rest of their money to make ends meet by selling their pills and raising chickens and selling the eggs and also raising hogs, which is also how they eat because they kill two a year for themselves and freeze them, the others go to buyers.  Another friend of mine was in a car wreck several years ago and broke her neck.  She is fine now and the break obviously wasn't all that bad but she's in chronic pain.  She can only get tramadol from her doctor and she does have medicaid and she only gets $80 a month in food stamps.  She can't work because she can't stand for long and can't do much physically and she never finished high school and has trouble reading.  She cannot get disability and she's been to court many times trying to get it.  She could really use some of the heavier painkillers but doctors won't give them to her yet my friend who has back problems because of her weight gets oxymorphone, hydrocodone and tramadol.  So, it's not always a fair system here and it's on that is easy to beat if you try hard enough.  Whether or not you get disability really depends on which judge looks at your case.  Really.  Doctors can recommend that you get it but that doesn't guarantee anything.  That really doesn't seem fair, but thats how it is here.

As for whether or not people with AS need benefits, it really depends on the person.  AS is much more than just a lack of social skills.  Some people have physical issues from it as well.  There are many co-morbids that go along with autism, and also there can be processing problems as well. While I don't have any problems that would prevent me from working and I've worked many times in my life, and could  work now to support myself if I lived somewhere where there actually was work.  Just because I can work and because I can function at this level doesn't mean that everybody else with AS can do so.  

Another thing that needs to be considered is whether or not something is a need or a want.  While we do have very strong needs and also preferences, we also have to remember that sometimes we can work at it and overcome some of the things that cause us problems but that doesn't mean that we can overcome everything, or that everybody can overcome things.  The fact that the spectrum is so big means that people can anywhere on the spectrum and just because one person can do something doesn't mean everybody else can do it, or just because someone else can't do something won't mean that everyone else will have trouble with it.

People may have trouble working and need disability, or they may not make very much at work and need food stamps or they may need help with housing or bills, etc.  I don't think they should or would get something to let them travel first class to avoid crowds though.  If it's crowds that are the problem then I'd say why not just fly instead?  It's less crowded and probably a lot shorter trip to fly than it is to take the train.  However I don't see the government paying for something that's purely convenient.

So, I'd say that it's probably best left up to medical professionals to evaluate whether or not a person is in need of benefits and I'd really like to see things like that left up to a doctor than a judge in the USA instead of the way it is now here.  

MagicBard

In the USA we have SSI disability that you can get but it takes a very long time to get it.  You have to go through lots of doctors and go to court etc, etc.  It's usually denied the first time someone tries to get it and you have to try several times before you actually do get it.  You also have to have a lawyer most of the time because it's a difficult process.

My son just got SSI for his Aspergers and Borderline Intellectual Functioning, we applied last June and he just got approved last month. We sent in all of our paperwork, and his IEP and School testing helped a ton.  The one Dr we had to go talk to was a very nice older gentleman.   I know there are people who have to reapply, I think it has to do with why you are applying for the SSI. Someone would only have to go in front of a Judge if you are appealing why you were denied the SSI.

Edited by MagicBard

RiRi

I think everyone on the spectrum which the condition affects their every day life to the extent that they can't work or live on their own should be entitled to benefits. Unfortunately, that's not always the case. :rolleyes: 

autismpaul

am on ESA in uk  not on pip yet but waiting for it to come though

CCninja86
On 2/2/2013 at 0:31 PM, Ben said:

I've always struggled to understand why someone with AS needs benefits. Perhaps allowances to travel first class on the train to avoid crowds? other than that, i can't see a reason. 

My mother claimed DLA  for me for years, i refused to take a penny of it on principle. 

I get some small benefits at university from the Disability Support due to my inability to function properly in certain environments. Pretty much, I get to sit tests and exams in my own separate room as well as get a bit of extra time to sit the test/exam, which helps with my sound sensitivity, and allows me to focus and think without distraction, and also accounts for the fact my brain processes information more slowly than a normal person. It's mostly due to my combination of AS and ADD, which essentially means once I'm distracted by something like background noise, it's difficult for me to re-focus. In a timed test you can see how this is an issue.

Ben
On 03/07/2016 at 0:08 PM, CCninja86 said:

I get some small benefits at university from the Disability Support due to my inability to function properly in certain environments. Pretty much, I get to sit tests and exams in my own separate room as well as get a bit of extra time to sit the test/exam, which helps with my sound sensitivity, and allows me to focus and think without distraction, and also accounts for the fact my brain processes information more slowly than a normal person. It's mostly due to my combination of AS and ADD, which essentially means once I'm distracted by something like background noise, it's difficult for me to re-focus. In a timed test you can see how this is an issue.

I have to be honest, I have no memory of writing this post. My first 1,000 posts or so are a bit hazy, you'll have to forgive me. 

My opinion may be slightly contrary these days. I'm a bit older now and I've travelled a million miles since I wrote that post. (I enjoyed being controversial back then.) 

Aeolienne
On 12/22/2014 at 6:51 PM, Aeolienne said:

I was last in work for six months between February and August of this year (a fixed contract with no possibility of extension). I applied for contribution-based jobseeker’s allowance after I left, but I was turned down due to having made sufficient NI contributions for the financial years 2011/12 and 2012/13.

That should have read due to having made insufficient NI contributions or due to not having made sufficient NI contributions, whichever sounds better.