• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Frankie

Autism Card?

Frankie

I think personally created autism cards rely on the individual's own credibility which could be challenged by strangers. 

I agree with this, that plastic card was like my on board life ring which I could throw when I need to. Because I was issued an Autism card with an individual number pressed into it, I should still be on their records but Iv changed addresses since I got that last card

annalise_fox_ford

i am 13 would i be alowed a autism card for at school to explain to my teachers and when i am out and about?

:Sparky:

Wren

Everyone on here is from Scotland it seems!

• Helpful 2

Frankie

England & Wales too :)

Saveyourscissors

It really does haha! You wouldn't think there were people from loads of different places and country's if you only read this topic hahah!

• Helpful 1

dmndsoul

I live in southern Florida US and we no such thing as an aspy card. Police are free to tase or shoot everyone equally.

Saveyourscissors

I live in southern Florida US and we no such thing as an aspy card. Police are free to tase or shoot everyone equally.

I don't think that is what it's for  :lol:

aspiesw

I can understand the justification to want an autism card. But I'd want something a bit more subtle like an autism ribbon, not everyone would know what it meant, but some people would. Like, to let people know I'm LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender), I have a gay pride wristband, I used to wear it all the time. Not so much anymore

Frankie

I can understand the justification to want an autism card. But I'd want something a bit more subtle like an autism ribbon, not everyone would know what it meant, but some people would. Like, to let people know I'm LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender), I have a gay pride wristband, I used to wear it all the time. Not so much anymore

A ribbon would be cool, but in my eyes it wouldn't be practical because ignorant people will think you talking rubbish if you show them the ribbon & try explain you have AsPie, but if its on a plastic card they'll take you more seriously & deal with you in a better way.

Toran

God bless America

NeuroRubyDiversity93

Never had to utilize one as of yet as I tend to circumvent situations that may require conveyance with such officers (e.g. asking them questions about what caused an accident or who could've robbed the department store), because they are susceptible to misconstruing our body language for various reasons including the two which Kuribo has precisely pointed out. Many of them are still so misguided about autism spectrum disorders it really hurts. :(

Edited by NeuroRubyDiversity93

Saveyourscissors

Totally agree, I have willows ribbon on my keys but yeah it doesnt tell people you have AS. I should have something as if I had allergic reaction people would need to know nut allergy and AS

• Helpful 1

dmndsoul

I understand the need to be identified as someone with special needs, but sincerely afraid of labeling in other atypical groups. i.e. "We can tell who is autistic why cant we tell who is gay or jewish or muslim. It is a door that may, should not be opened.

Frankie

I understand the need to be identified as someone with special needs, but sincerely afraid of labeling in other atypical groups. i.e. "We can tell who is autistic why cant we tell who is gay or jewish or muslim. It is a door that may, should not be opened.

gay, jewish or muslim don't have hidden communication problems so wouldn't need the card

blacktiger911

I like to keep my aspergers to myself as much as possible. worried the wrong people will over hear. aspergers is ok but still many people dont like it.

Toran

If you worry about being identified then that is something you need to work out as an individual.

There is no shame in being what you are though I am not in favour of being extremely open just for the sake of it. That said if you are gay muslim whatever you live your life openly and if you are noticed then thats what you are. Theres no need to be ashamed of it just be proud of who and what you are other wise you lose and they win.

dmndsoul

Well said, unfortunately my grandmother was tattooed with a numeric "label" she felt humiliated by 'til she died in May of 1984; just days before my 10th birthday. I miss her.

HalfFull

I like to keep my aspergers to myself as much as possible. worried the wrong people will over hear. aspergers is ok but still many people dont like it.

Oddly enough I've been on Asperger meet-ups in public places about 40 times with about 10 people each time and I've never known anyone from outside the group to interrupt on overhearing Aspergers mentioned. I think it would be impossible that no strangers have ever overheard it mentioned on such an occasion but it has never caused any nosiness. Obviously there have been cases where someone outside the group has been annoyed by the behaviour of someone in the group, but even then nothing too bad. 

Toran

Well said, unfortunately my grandmother was tattooed with a numeric "label" she felt humiliated by 'til she died in May of 1984; just days before my 10th birthday. I miss her.

Dare I ask how she got the number?

grahamguitarman

I have a card very much like that, it was issued by the NAS in cooperation with the South Yorkshire police.  

dd6e34b5-11ba-4da2-a734-0c2adb0f8ba8.jpg

f648114a-a388-4311-94f9-13fe0a2e89db.jpg

I deliberately cropped the bottom of the second pic off because it has the contact details of my wife and mother on just in case they are needed.

Having a card like this is not so much a case of identifying yourself as being in some kind of Autism club.  It is not there to label you, and you don't have to show it to anyone at all if you don't want to.  It is so that should you get into difficulties, the police / emergency services can take your condition into account.  

I know someone for example who got into a muddle with his train ticket and ended up being arrested by the transport police.  They took his evasive behaviour as an indication of him being guilty of some kind of scam.  Once his advocate got involved and showed them proof of his autism they dropped the charges and apologised.  He now has a card just like mine so that if he ever gets into that kind of situation again he has some proof of his condition.  

It's not a get out of jail free card, but it can make a big difference to how you are treated by the authorities if the situation ever came to it.

I quite like the last line about needing an appropriate adult / intermediary.  Because it then puts the onus on them to make sure there is someone there to represent you if you are overwhelmed by the experience.

Edited by grahamguitarman

Frankie

Here's mine, I really hate it, there's too much info for people to read if I Need to show the card, the thing burst my last wallet, so I don't take it out with me now. I want one like my old one :(

Geedee

I've found my autism alert card useful when I'm communicating with travel officials, such as at train stations, because I sometimes struggle to decipher regional accents, digest lots of factual information and make spot decisions with an impatient queue behind me.

I have an NAS and an ARGH (Autism Rights Group Highland) card but I don't use them because my Lothian & Borders Police card does the trick.

• Helpful 1

Nesf

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have one especially when travelling, but I don't know if they issue them in Greece, and who would issue one.

Sofi

I've found my autism alert card useful when I'm communicating with travel officials, such as at train stations, because I sometimes struggle to decipher regional accents, digest lots of factual information and make spot decisions with an impatient queue behind me.

I have an NAS and an ARGH (Autism Rights Group Highland) card but I don't use them because my Lothian & Borders Police card does the trick.

I've got a Lothian & Borders Police one too but I don't even have it in my purse, I don't know why. I've used the Scottish Autism one.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have one especially when travelling, but I don't know if they issue them in Greece, and who would issue one.

I doubt you'd get one in Greece :( 

blacktiger911

this dose'nt bother you guys that they are praticaly handing you a lable card maybe i'm not seeing somthing you are.