• Announcements

• Willow

Hello!   03/17/16

Welcome to Asperclick! I'm Willow, the founder and moderator. Have a browse around the site and sign up to talk with our members. I hope you find the site useful
awesomeliza

Sensitivity to cutting nails

14 posts in this topic

I've actually had this problem for my whole life and I've just searched about sensitivity to having your nails cut and apparently it's a type of sensory problem. After I cut my nails, it's a really unpleasant feeling and I generally despise it. My mum often has to shout and nag me to cut my nails. I just find it disgusting, which is why I can sometimes leave my nails uncut for a long time. (I think I'll only start thinking about cutting them when they are looking like they will ingrow.) :/ When I searched this up, Wrong Planet came up as quite a relevant result and I read the post and apparently quite a number of individuals with ASDs have a problem with cutting nails. I know I have sensitivities to sound and generally, I don't like quite a few textures, but I never would have though that cutting nails would be something related to AS. Does anyone else encounter problems when cutting nails?

Edited by awesomeliza

I don't think I have a problem with it. I pick and bite at my fingernails and I hardly ever go barefoot so I have had problems with ingrown toenails before. Ingrown toenails are not fun to deal with.

1 person likes this

My nails grow really long! I normally cut them when one breaks but like to leave at least 1mm white left, I hate really short nails & don't know how people can bite them sooo short

1 person likes this

I bite my nail all time, and cut toe nails once week. I never let them grow then it becomes painful in shoes. Rem nails grow 1mm a day. 

1 person likes this

I need to give myself a manicure & pedicure! ROFLMAO!

Anyone got any ideas what colour I should do my nails? I was thinking about dark blue

1 person likes this

No, I don't have this particular problem. It does feel slightly uncomfortable for a while afterwards though, because that part of the finger is suddenly exposed and is more sensitive. I don't like having long nails because I don't like the idea of all that dirt accumulating under them.

1 person likes this

No, I don't have this particular problem. It does feel slightly uncomfortable for a while afterwards though, because that part of the finger is suddenly exposed and is more sensitive. I don't like having long nails because I don't like the idea of all that dirt accumulating under them.

I don't get much dirt under my nails! I'm always washing my hands, think I wash my hands too much!

1 person likes this

I only feel uncomfortable cutting the nails on my ring finger, I often accidentally cut the bit underneath the nails and when I cut that off, it makes my ring finger feel uncomfortable, really uncomfortable, I tend to only trim the nail on my ring fingers

1 person likes this

I don't like it if I cut them too short but I have no choice if I want to play my violin.

1 person likes this

I've actually had this problem for my whole life and I've just searched about sensitivity to having your nails cut and apparently it's a type of sensory problem. After I cut my nails, it's a really unpleasant feeling and I generally despise it. My mum often has to shout and nag me to cut my nails. I just find it disgusting, which is why I can sometimes leave my nails uncut for a long time. (I think I'll only start thinking about cutting them when they are looking like they will ingrow.) :/ When I searched this up, Wrong Planet came up as quite a relevant result and I read the post and apparently quite a number of individuals with ASDs have problem like cutting nails. I know I have sensitivities to sound and generally, I don't like quite a few textures, but I never would have though that cutting nails would be something related to AS. Does anyone else encounter problems when cutting nails?

My daughter! It's really really difficult to cut her nails! the neighbours must think I'm abusing her, because she screams! I don't like to cut her nails!!! (but I don't think she has AS, she's over-sensitive, but soooooooooo social!)

1 person likes this

Cutting nails for me is always an ordeal, I feel miserable after I'm done and get nauseous when I move my hands.

1 person likes this

I've actually had this problem for my whole life and I've just searched about sensitivity to having your nails cut and apparently it's a type of sensory problem. After I cut my nails, it's a really unpleasant feeling and I generally despise it. My mum often has to shout and nag me to cut my nails. I just find it disgusting, which is why I can sometimes leave my nails uncut for a long time. (I think I'll only start thinking about cutting them when they are looking like they will ingrow.) :/ When I searched this up, Wrong Planet came up as quite a relevant result and I read the post and apparently quite a number of individuals with ASDs have a problem with cutting nails. I know I have sensitivities to sound and generally, I don't like quite a few textures, but I never would have though that cutting nails would be something related to AS. Does anyone else encounter problems when cutting nails?

I cut my nails as a form of "neccesary evil" but I hate the sensation when they have just been cut. Something just feels so weird about it. I have it more with my fingernails than toe nails though

2 people like this

I'm not sure if I have sensitivity with cutting nails, but I used to have a problem cutting them. I didn't know how so I would cut them really short which would make my fingers hurt. I solved this issue by not cutting too close down. I usually let them to grow somewhat long and then cut them because I'm always breaking them when they get too long.

Edited by Anna

I'm 26 and I've had this problem my whole life. I hate the feeling at the tips of my fingers after I trim them! My toes don't bother me too much, so that's good. My fingers are so bad though that I sometimes have to use Band-Aids around the tips to hold the nail on if I get a hangnail. Everyone has called me crazy, I'm so glad I'm not alone!