• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 awesomeliza

awesomeliza

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

I've actually had this problem for my whole life and I've just searched about sensitivity to having your nails cut and apparently it's a type of sensory problem. After I cut my nails, it's a really unpleasant feeling and I generally despise it. My mum often has to shout and nag me to cut my nails. I just find it disgusting, which is why I can sometimes leave my nails uncut for a long time. (I think I'll only start thinking about cutting them when they are looking like they will ingrow.) :/ When I searched this up, Wrong Planet came up as quite a relevant result and I read the post and apparently quite a number of individuals with ASDs have a problem with cutting nails. I know I have sensitivities to sound and generally, I don't like quite a few textures, but I never would have though that cutting nails would be something related to AS. Does anyone else encounter problems when cutting nails?

Edited by awesomeliza, 13 February 2014 - 10:59 PM.

99va.png

#2 Smithy The Wizard

Smithy The Wizard

Asperclicker

• Under 16
  • 982 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

I don't think I have a problem with it. I pick and bite at my fingernails and I hardly ever go barefoot so I have had problems with ingrown toenails before. Ingrown toenails are not fun to deal with.

• awesomeliza likes this

"It is likely you will spend your whole life trying to find yourself. But these satellites can do it in mere seconds. Yep. There you are."

- Night Vale Podcast

#3 Frankie

Frankie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 834 posts
  • LocationIsle of Bute

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

My nails grow really long! I normally cut them when one breaks but like to leave at least 1mm white left, I hate really short nails & don't know how people can bite them sooo short

• awesomeliza likes this

One Size doesn't fit all!

Have some Pie!

slapstick_zps9bdcc20c.gif

Please have a look in the shop & help support s.o.p.h.i.e. charity :D

s.o.p.h.i.e. shop....

http://www.backstree...sterfoundation/

The Sophie Lancaster foundation page....

https://www.facebook...asterfoundation

stamp out prejudice hatred & intolerance everywhere

#4 Arthur

Arthur

Advanced Member

• Koby's Friend
  • 1181 posts
  • Location.FR

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

I bite my nail all time, and cut toe nails once week. I never let them grow then it becomes painful in shoes. Rem nails grow 1mm a day. 

• awesomeliza likes this

#5 Frankie

Frankie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 834 posts
  • LocationIsle of Bute

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

I need to give myself a manicure & pedicure! ROFLMAO!

Anyone got any ideas what colour I should do my nails? I was thinking about dark blue

• awesomeliza likes this

Have some Pie!

s.o.p.h.i.e. shop....

#6 Nesf

Nesf

Asperclick Addict

• Honorary Member
  • 5309 posts
  • LocationThe goldilocks zone

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

No, I don't have this particular problem. It does feel slightly uncomfortable for a while afterwards though, because that part of the finger is suddenly exposed and is more sensitive. I don't like having long nails because I don't like the idea of all that dirt accumulating under them.

• awesomeliza likes this

nesf.jpg

#7 Frankie

Frankie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 834 posts
  • LocationIsle of Bute

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

No, I don't have this particular problem. It does feel slightly uncomfortable for a while afterwards though, because that part of the finger is suddenly exposed and is more sensitive. I don't like having long nails because I don't like the idea of all that dirt accumulating under them.

I don't get much dirt under my nails! I'm always washing my hands, think I wash my hands too much!

• awesomeliza likes this

Have some Pie!

s.o.p.h.i.e. shop....

#8 aspiesw

aspiesw

Advanced Member

• Honorary Member
  • 1247 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

I only feel uncomfortable cutting the nails on my ring finger, I often accidentally cut the bit underneath the nails and when I cut that off, it makes my ring finger feel uncomfortable, really uncomfortable, I tend to only trim the nail on my ring fingers
  • awesomeliza likes this
I'm like all the elephants in this world, I can not forget you.

#9 Wren

Wren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

I don't like it if I cut them too short but I have no choice if I want to play my violin.
  • awesomeliza likes this

#10 Caroline

Caroline

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

I've actually had this problem for my whole life and I've just searched about sensitivity to having your nails cut and apparently it's a type of sensory problem. After I cut my nails, it's a really unpleasant feeling and I generally despise it. My mum often has to shout and nag me to cut my nails. I just find it disgusting, which is why I can sometimes leave my nails uncut for a long time. (I think I'll only start thinking about cutting them when they are looking like they will ingrow.) :/ When I searched this up, Wrong Planet came up as quite a relevant result and I read the post and apparently quite a number of individuals with ASDs have problem like cutting nails. I know I have sensitivities to sound and generally, I don't like quite a few textures, but I never would have though that cutting nails would be something related to AS. Does anyone else encounter problems when cutting nails?

My daughter! It's really really difficult to cut her nails! the neighbours must think I'm abusing her, because she screams! I don't like to cut her nails!!! (but I don't think she has AS, she's over-sensitive, but soooooooooo social!)

• awesomeliza likes this
carolinesig.png?2129

#11 Babadakad

Babadakad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCologne/Germany

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

Cutting nails for me is always an ordeal, I feel miserable after I'm done and get nauseous when I move my hands.

• awesomeliza likes this

#12 King_oni

King_oni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1014 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

I've actually had this problem for my whole life and I've just searched about sensitivity to having your nails cut and apparently it's a type of sensory problem. After I cut my nails, it's a really unpleasant feeling and I generally despise it. My mum often has to shout and nag me to cut my nails. I just find it disgusting, which is why I can sometimes leave my nails uncut for a long time. (I think I'll only start thinking about cutting them when they are looking like they will ingrow.) :/ When I searched this up, Wrong Planet came up as quite a relevant result and I read the post and apparently quite a number of individuals with ASDs have a problem with cutting nails. I know I have sensitivities to sound and generally, I don't like quite a few textures, but I never would have though that cutting nails would be something related to AS. Does anyone else encounter problems when cutting nails?

I cut my nails as a form of "neccesary evil" but I hate the sensation when they have just been cut. Something just feels so weird about it. I have it more with my fingernails than toe nails though

• awesomeliza likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sensorycutting nails, sensitivity, aspie traits

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users