• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Guest Chris

What do you do?

Guest Chris

To those aspies out there that have entered the working world... what do you do?

I work as a web developer for a wholesaler, it's my first full-time job and I've been in the role for coming up to 2 years.

• Helpful 6

Mark

Right now I am a flea-market vender. I am going to college to be a special education: English teacher in secondary schools.

• Helpful 1

StormCrow

I acutally started working when I was 14 as a blacksmith at old Sturidge Village, then went on to other jobs, with my latest job of Civil Engineering wich also had Architectual stuff too.

Then I was Laid off with this American Depression.

Right now I paint houses , while going to collage for Environmental Engineering (also doing three certificate in "Green" energy/management).

• Helpful 4

Benny333

I recently worked as a trainee IT tech (after the two year contract did not get recontracted). I have also been working casually at K-mart as mainly a cashier. On top of that I seasonally work as a drink waiter with our local council. I haven't been getting many hours lately at K-Mart but I might have a job at a supermarket soon.

• Helpful 1

Arthur

I currently work in Room service  at 5* hotel in Paris

I was in a alternation to get my Certificate of Qualification to be able to work in a hotel. 

I am recognized as mentally handicap by the State, but able to work in normal work environment and not protected work space.

i get a regular salary and an allocation by the state for people recognized as handicapped.

• Helpful 2

ALC

I'm currently a full time Uni student. Also, I work about 12hrs a week as a CTM at the Co-operative Food and, I work 2hrs a week as a cleaner.

• Helpful 1

Stressmonster

Currently a practitioneer working 30% with people who have special needs in form of autism/mental disorders to a degree that makes them need 24 hour care. Been doing so for 2 months but am gonna find something else to do. I found out that i'm hardly fit trying to motivate people into doing stuff i can't even motivate myself to do. (ie chores, cleaning etc.)

• Helpful 1

Willow
Currently a practitioneer working 30% with people who have special needs in form of autism/mental disorders to a degree that makes them need 24 hour care. Been doing so for 2 months but am gonna find something else to do. I found out that i'm hardly fit trying to motivate people into doing stuff i can't even motivate myself to do. (ie chores, cleaning etc.)

Aww, it's nice that you tried out doing such a selfless job - but I agree it would be hard to do; I also have motivation issues.

• Helpful 3

Jeff

I work as a stocker for a hardware store but plan to go for an undergrad in IT-help desk

• Helpful 2

Khasper

I am a desktop engineer. I make sure things work well together and also what should go where to work better.

If someone can't solve something I'm usually the one who can find out what is going on.

• Helpful 1

Pharaoh_G

I'm a graduate student, trying to get a MFA in Writing (this is my 3rd and final year)...and I sometimes write articles for online pulibications such as USA Today College, Yahoo!, and Back\Slash. Also, my girlfriend and I run an organization called Abilities of the Arts where people w/ unique abilities can submit artwork, videos, music, etc. to our website and we put them on display.

I wish I was employed though, as in working for publications and getting paid for it. I can't be a poor college student forever. hahaha!

• Helpful 1

Erythrura

I'm a part-time cleaner studying science at university. I once worked in retail, but it was so fast-paced, required short-term memory and strong communication skills and also the ability to remember faces, so I didn't last long. 

• Helpful 1

Whoknows

I'm in for Electronics Engineering, Programming, Physics, Energy Research, Music, Art, Architecture and Business Management. I almost forgot Economy.

I forgot to put sports. When available, I went to practice baseball, yet I have to try other sports. I have to swim, 'cause I already got beyond sinking.

• Helpful 1

mary

I currently work as a co-ordinator in palliative care.  Basically doing secretarial / administrative tasks for the department.  I have taken on large projects and run with the admin side of things since starting in this post.  Prior to this I was a medical secretary to pscychiatrists and also worked in a high secure mental hospital in various posts.

Prior to coming to the UK I had been in college and attained qualifications in Travel & Tourism whilst working in BigW / Woolworths (grocery / department stores).  I'll admit that I was quite happy working in the store as the pay was ok back then and the hours could be as many or little as I liked.  I didn't have to take stress home with me and it was probably the easiest job I've had.  Even though I was working with the public the interactions were so short it wasn't so bad.

On coming to the UK I had a job in a hotel working as a waitress and I wasn't really suited to that so much as I had to make more conversation, but I found the job easy besides that.  After my family moved over I moved up north and had various temping jobs in admin before deciding it was about time I had some stability in my life and got a permanent job.  I HATED temping with a passion as I really do not like going into new jobs, not because i fear learning the job, but more fear learning who everyone is and wondering if they 'get me' or not.  I just never knew why I felt like that back then!

• Helpful 2

Anxious

I started out as a Laboratory Technician which was mind numbing and a disapointment especially as i had wasted 2 years getting the A levels. Thankfully i was made redundant after nearly 2 years and i was unemployed for 6 months during the 1980's ressession.

I entred retail by getting a job in a department store in the furniture dept....I didn't have a clue what to do so i watched the other staff and how they sold stuff and just took the best bits from everyone and learned to sell. I really love it ...Wheras in life i'm not sure what to do or how to be , with selling it is just like a stage and i can be how i want without anyone critisising me.

I've been working in retail ever since... I also was the manager for Clarks shoes and Ravel shoes for nearly 12 years...to this day i don't know how i got away with it.

If i need to know how to do something i watch how others do it and adapt it to my own ends.

• Helpful 1

Andy

What do I do, currently nothing, am one one of the scapegoats, the unemployed, but all is not lost I hope to start a small business making metal jewellery as I have identified several fringe markets that will keep a lone craftsman in business, just as soon as I can do something about my confidence issues as I appear to have developed a fear of people these last few years.

I have been employed pre diagnosis, before I knew about this thing I have been a site engineer, an electro mechanical repairman, a plant fitter and I served in the military repairing aircraft for six years.

• Helpful 1

Willow
but all is not lost I hope to start a small business making metal jewellery

What sort of designs will you be doing?

• Helpful 1

Andy
What sort of designs will you be doing?

I am heavily influenced by the serpentine and spiral form and so jewellery based on ancient mediterranean area and Middle Eastern designs, aimed primarily at dancers and the alternative minded, but it will appeal to others as well, also metal clothing as a jewellery function and whatever else I may be asked to make as I make and I have made some odd things in the past. But I work in bronze, copper, anodised aluminium and recovered wrought iron I dig up out of the estuary where many wooden ships have rotted away from the past. I can work in precious metals but I would rather not as my aim is  affordable to most adornment as my ethos is adornment not portable wealth and big and bold with that.

• Helpful 1

Willow
I am heavily influenced by the serpentine and spiral form and so jewellery based on ancient mediterranean area and Middle Eastern designs, aimed primarily at dancers and the alternative minded, but it will appeal to others as well, also metal clothing as a jewellery function and whatever else I may be asked to make as I make and I have made some odd things in the past. But I work in bronze, copper, anodised aluminium and recovered wrought iron I dig up out of the estuary where many wooden ships have rotted away from the past. I can work in precious metals but I would rather not as my aim is  affordable to most adornment as my ethos is adornment not portable wealth and big and bold with that.

Hmm - sounds interesting :D

Do you have any photos of your work?

• Helpful 1

Andy
Hmm - sounds interesting :D

Do you have any photos of your work?

Old stuff only, as despite being a photographer, I always forget to photograph my work (more the case I think of get rid of it as soon as possible as I have taken as much as I have taken as much as I can out of the piece and when it is finished, I always think I could have done better, so get rid fast)

But ;

doingsr_zps6cb67762.jpg

• Helpful 12

Willow
Old stuff only, as despite being a photographer, I always forget to photograph my work (more the case I think of get rid of it as soon as possible as I have taken as much as I have taken as much as I can out of the piece and when it is finished, I always think I could have done better, so get rid fast)

But ;

doingsr_zps6cb67762.jpg

These are great :D

• Helpful 1

filamentous hyphae

Andy, the craftsmanship on the jewelry is quite nice.

Erythrura

Wow...Andy, you're amazing!  :o  :D  Great work! 

aspiegirl

I work as an IT-administrator. It requires a lot of interaction with other people, which can be exhausting.. I don't want to complain because I like being part of the "normal" world in a way. I just wish it wasn't so frequent :)

• Helpful 3

Chicken_55

I trained as a geologist and got a good job working for 5 years on oil rigs in the North Sea, Onshore UK and Spain.   But I did not know about Aspergers at that time and crashed and burned.  Horribly.  It was to do with interaction with other people; I could do the geology but I could not multi-task very well and could not tell when people were being serious or "only joking".

Then I got a job with the Civil Service in London but it was sheer hell.  I did not enjoy the work and was hoping to secure a transfer to geology-related work within the Civil Service.   But it was never going to happen, my work suffered, (still to do with communication - I was labelled as "aloof" on the staff reports) and my reports were so bad no other department would consider me on transfer.  After 17 years of this I had another horrible breakdown.  

It was only then that I found out about Aspergers and set my sights a little lower.  I moved back home with my parents and managed to get a job as a part time book-keeper at a health food store.  This job is fine and suits me down to the ground.  Doing accountancy is a bit like being paid to do suduko and I am perfectly at home with the computer and out of sight of the customers.  But, sadly, this is only 4 hours a week and does not pay the bills.

Then a couple of years later I got a job at a supermarket - also working part time - so I am currently working 16 hours a week in both jobs.  The supermarket job is a real struggle - if I was paid on the basis of effort I would be the best paid supermarket assistant in the company.   I have such difficulty with sensory issues, the bleeps and clicks from electronic equipment, children shrieking and screeches from the stock cages set my nerves on edge.  As well as this, I have an awful time with multi-tasking and constant interruptions.  As well as this there is problems with strip lighting which hurts my eyes, and the strong smells (food, cleaning chemicals and smells from the air conditioning).  Then there are the customers who are being facetious.  I hate it when people say they are "only joking".  I can never work this out:- I take everything literally and it is a constant source of worry to try to interpret what a customer really means when they talk to me.   I am hopeless at eye contact and find looking at people's eyes is just too intense.  I have been reprimanded by a colleague for not making eye contact with the customers.   On the surface, I probably seem to cope but underneath I am grappling all the time with my nerves and find it so difficult to stop shaking.

To make matters worse, I have severe face blindness and cannot recognise customers or staff, especially if I bump into them in town out of the supermarket context.   This is why I get a reputation for being aloof - I just don't know who they are.   Whether it is the Aspergers I am  not sure, but I cannot tell easily which is "left" or "right".  It takes me a long while to work this out and if a customer asks for the piece of cheese on the "right", it takes me ages realise where the piece of cheese he wants actually is.

I am thinking of donating my brain to science when I die - just so that someone else does not have to go through the struggles I have in my daily life.  If someone could wave a magic wand and I could be cured I would be so relieved.  

Sorry to go on, having a job might seem to be wonderful for someone with Aspergers but it is not all plain sailing.   We need a lot of support to keep in employment and in these days of fierce competition for jobs and austerity people do not have time for anybody who has any sensitivities or disabilities.  I have disclosed my Aspergers to my bosses but not to my colleagues as I do not want them to find a reason to shun me or treat me like an imbecile.  In my experience people do not like anything that is "different" or they do not understand, and, even in this day and age people do not know anything about Aspergers.

• Helpful 7