• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Guest Chris

What do you do?

Toran

I can empathise with you chicken I have had many of the issues you have mentioned and its certainly very difficult to adapt into the work environment. I wasnt too bad when I left school got a job in a factory for 16 years it wasnt easy but I got through it somehow. Then I got made redundent and since then ive had numerous jobs because it was so difficult to adapt to so many new things and some people were plain nasty. Ive had a job now for six years but that was working on my own driving there was still problems but all I could do was keep going best I could. Then it all changed and I had to work with others again and the old problems resurfaced until eventually I couldnt cope and ended up being unable to cope with it and been off sick since.

Chicken_55

Thank you for your kind reply, Toran.  

I hope that things improve for you in your work environment and that you will be able to return to work soon.

• Helpful 1

Toran
Thank you for your kind reply, Toran.  

I hope that things improve for you in your work environment and that you will be able to return to work soon.

Thanks chicken hopefully things are moving in the right direction now and things will begin to improve.

Aspergirl

I can understand the sensory and social problems of being in the work place completely! I have struggled in the work place all my life but had no idea about Aspergers until the last 6 months to a year! It was only my daughter struggling in school and meeting people with similar children that has brought it into the open for me! I now realise what has been happening my whole life is down to AS!

I am constantly surprised at how much I have done and how far I have come despite it, but it explains so so much.

I had a lot of jobs, pubs, supermarkets, admin etc in my teens and early 20's but non of these environments suited me socially and played havoc with my senses!

The best job I have ever done is being a groom in a racing yard, riding, mucking out, brushing the horses it was all very theraputic. I got my own horse when I was 14 and this was my special interest all through my childhood. I actually went to college to try and make a career out of it but the highly competitive environment of equestrian college wasn't me and I went off the rails due to being alone, living in and not being able to organise myself. I left college with qualifications enough to get me into a teaching degree (with some good personal statement writing) and after doing a few weeks work experience in my old primary felt this was the way to go.

During my first week of uni, I found out I was pregnant with Ellie! The three years of my degree were a constant struggle, through pregnancy, birth and bringing up a baby alongside a full-time degree I had many mental health problems due to the stress and anxiety of leaving my little one. I am surprised I go through it and proud I did but I almost failed/ dropped out many times. I managed to get a good degree due to sheer grit and determination to show the doubters what I could do but nearly gave myself a nervous breakdown in the process.

After my degree my partner and I decided to get married and had another baby! This brought yet more stress into our relationship and has meant that I have never actually yet gone on to teach. I have worked 1 year in a preschool as an assistant and then 18 months as a childminder. My daughter (Eldest) has struggled so much with school and my commitments have been too much. I have decided to stop work and now recieve DLA and CA for my daughter as a full-time carer and stay at home mum. I love them to pieces but I can't cope with the lack of structure and not using my brain!

I find staying at home far more strenuous than working, even in those environments that I hated!

I am unsure if I will ever find the right balance but keep telling myself it will get better when they get older. I won't have anymore children as much as I would love to because I know I wouldn't mentally be able to cope and I want to have a career at some point for my own self- worth.

Nesf

I worked for many years as a teacher of English as a foreign language, mainly because I was pursuing special interests in languages and cultures of other countries and this was a convenient way of doing it. However, teaching is particulary demanding for a person on the spectrum, especially an undiagnosed one, and I eventually couldn't cope with it any more and crashed, and received my diagnosis of AS and Major Depressive Disorder. Now I do a few online lessons, some proofreading and translating - I'm currently working on a novel - and looking for more permanent employment.

• Helpful 1

Carlos Andres Delgado C

I'm a 3rd Medical Student, specializing my self in Psychiatry and currently an intern of Max Peralta Hospital in Costa Rica. I study in the University of Costa Rica. 

I attend people in the ER sometimes or i attend people in Psychiatry sometimes! But i love being a Doctor/Medical Student 

• Helpful 1

edion

I work as an assistant nurse at the hospital here in town. I hope to be able to work more but i'm not allowed to work datumen now becouse there have been complaints from my couligues. I will have a meeting with the job agency and my counselor after the summer and try to work something out.

• Helpful 2

Bruce

Oxfam online books (now doing Thurs & Fri, 10-12) & general admin at a local community centre (Tues, 10:30-13:30)  :)

• Helpful 1

Sofi

I work as an assistant nurse at the hospital here in town. I hope to be able to work more but i'm not allowed to work datumen now becouse there have been complaints from my couligues. I will have a meeting with the job agency and my counselor after the summer and try to work something out.

Oxfam online books (now doing Thurs & Fri, 10-12) & general admin at a local community centre (Tues, 10:30-13:30)  :)

Well done for finding some work 

• Helpful 2

Bruce

They're voluntary jobs, of course. I've mentioned them around the forum....

Sofi

They're voluntary jobs, of course. I've mentioned them around the forum....

Yeah, I knew about them. Still, well done! 

Bruce

Thanks! Thought you must have seen my other posts about it.

• Helpful 1

Kaygee

I am a network account administrator

Spiderman0_2

Well I used to work in R&D for a rather large household manufacturing company, working in the polishes department for 4 years (I left for a little while). I did a stint in depilatories for the same company as a temp (after my transplant failed) ended up in the stability services bit since I couldn't get a permanent job in any of the 'proper' R&D departments. I once got an email saying they had 'concerns about my commitment', so make of that what you will (I already have drawn my own conclusions).

Left about 18 months ago primarily to get married to Mrs S but to be honest it was becoming difficult to cope with work and dialysis.

weebo

i work part time for the Disney store been here 7 years starting to think i want more now though and iam feeling rather lost in life but i guess i should be grateful that i have a job.

Sofi

i work part time for the Disney store been here 7 years starting to think i want more now though and iam feeling rather lost in life but i guess i should be grateful that i have a job.

OMG! Do you?! That's AMAZING! I would love to work in the Disney store! What stuff have you got in the Disney store right now? I hadn't even considered that for myself but I probably would! 

Best job ever!  :D

• Helpful 2

weebo

lol it is a great job but hard wor kas around guests most of the time, i am lucky that i work manly up in the stock room so i get my down time sort of lol, but yer we have lots of cool stuff comeing out now we have Monsters uni stuff and iam looking folward to Planes as well and there lost more to come

• Helpful 1

HenryVIII

I am 50 years old and have worked continually for the last 32 years.  However, I only worked for someone else for 5 of those years, the rest of the time I have worked for myself.

I have only been Aspie aware for the last 5 years but looking back I can see how my failures and successes at work have been influenced by my Aspergers.  

My first proper job was as an Accounts Clerk (paid Suduko as Chicken_55 calls it) with a small company with only 3 other people in the office.  I didn’t even know at the time that numbers fascinated me but they did and this was a time of hand written ledgers and not computers.  I had to be careful, neat and precise and I took to the job like a duck to water.

I eventually left for a job where I could work on my own from home as this was a burning desire for reasons I didn’t understand.  Unfortunately 80% of the job could be done on my own or dealing one to one with a customer but the other 20% was attending seminars, training sessions and meetings and more meetings and them more meetings.  I could do the job but could not handle all the other stuff.

After about 18 months of hell I quit and started working for myself.  Working for myself had always been an ambition of mine, again for reasons I didn’t understand.

I now employ 4 other people but being the boss has many benefits.  No one can bully me, no one can complain about me, no one laughs about my stupid ways (well not to my face), everyone listens when I talk and stays quiet when I ask them to.  Basically everyone plays by my rules.  My office is quiet and peaceful and the hours are regular.  I still hanker after being a one man operation again working from home and one day I will go back to that I’m sure.

I feel as though my working life is sorted, its just a pity that relationships aren’t as easy to manage (now that is a long story !!)   

Nesf

I am 50 years old and have worked continually for the last 32 years.  However, I only worked for someone else for 5 of those years, the rest of the time I have worked for myself.

I have only been Aspie aware for the last 5 years but looking back I can see how my failures and successes at work have been influenced by my Aspergers.  

My first proper job was as an Accounts Clerk (paid Suduko as Chicken_55 calls it) with a small company with only 3 other people in the office.  I didn’t even know at the time that numbers fascinated me but they did and this was a time of hand written ledgers and not computers.  I had to be careful, neat and precise and I took to the job like a duck to water.

I eventually left for a job where I could work on my own from home as this was a burning desire for reasons I didn’t understand.  Unfortunately 80% of the job could be done on my own or dealing one to one with a customer but the other 20% was attending seminars, training sessions and meetings and more meetings and them more meetings.  I could do the job but could not handle all the other stuff.

After about 18 months of hell I quit and started working for myself.  Working for myself had always been an ambition of mine, again for reasons I didn’t understand.

I now employ 4 other people but being the boss has many benefits.  No one can bully me, no one can complain about me, no one laughs about my stupid ways (well not to my face), everyone listens when I talk and stays quiet when I ask them to.  Basically everyone plays by my rules.  My office is quiet and peaceful and the hours are regular.  I still hanker after being a one man operation again working from home and one day I will go back to that I’m sure.

I feel as though my working life is sorted, its just a pity that relationships aren’t as easy to manage (now that is a long story !!)   

Hi, welcome to the forum! Work can be an issue if you have AS and it can take a lot of trial and error before you find something that suits you, but you seem to have found your niche - that's great!

Bruce

Work can be a lot of trial & error for anybody, surely? lols!

Nesf

Work can be a lot of trial & error for anybody, surely? lols!

Why is this funny?

Colin

Going on 14 years with home depot canada seasonal sales.

Dakohi

Hi! ^^

I work on a farmpark with lots of different animals. My boss is really friendly and I'm pretty much the only staff, too. So it's really calm and chilled and filled with the best things evar, aminals! n_n

I have had a couple jobs before this one which all ended badly because of how I am... either I left because of the people treating me so badly, or being sacked for not being good enough or communicating properly (waitressing,etc). 

I suck at interviews also, but luckily, I didn't need one for the job I have now. Me and my mum turned up there one day, asked if there was any jobs, she said no but I can work voluntarily.. so I did, and after a few days she was impressed and said she would take me on! xD'

Edited by Dakohi
  • Helpful 4

the strangest man

I'm a research computer scientist in the UK Civil Service, if you're interested my Linked in site is here http://www.linkedin.com/pub/nicholas-walton/16/406/219.

As with many Asperger's has cost me dear, esp. before my diagnosis. I used to work for myself IT contracting and lost £6,000 due to a contract being terminated early because I said the wrong thing to a member of their staff.

The Civil Service is responsible for my seeking a diagnosis, since I had a project go slightly wonky last year with me being supposedly rude to a major customer and being fairly blunt about problems in the work we were doing that needed addressing but which the "grown up" (our local terminology for someone who earns much more but has only got where he is by social skills) wanted to gloss over. With the move within my part of the CS being towards customer facing work, or as my TL says it's more important that we read body language than research science, I'm currently trying to hunt out a more research focussed slot in another team which is proving slightly difficult but at least with a diagnosis I have an automatic right to any interview for any advertised position. 

The CS is very strong on diversity, but mainly in the visible areas such as sexuality, physical disability, race etc. It's struggling with conditions such as Asperger's, we only have two formal diagnosis for Asperger's and one high functioning autistic so there's not a great deal of knowledge. Certainly, when I told my departmental manager of my diagnosis, he first response was "oh! I'm not surprised" followed by "You're not alone". The latter seems to very typical of management they quickly label anyone who is slightly socially awkward or difficult as autistic, as if it is an adjective. I've had people assume I was just using it as such and have been well surprised when I tell them I have a formal diagnosis. 

More generally, if you want decent advice on work and career advice Penelope Trunk is very good, and on the spectrum,  at http://blog.penelopetrunk.com.

• Helpful 1

HenryVIII

Hi Stangest Man,  I cannot access your linked in site, just get the following message "We’re sorry, but the profile you requested does not exist"

Henry 8