• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Guest Chris

What do you do?

HenryVIII

The link now works, thanks.  Very impressive CV by the way.

Geedee

I've worked as a full time graphic designer for about 25 years.

I worked for a few years as a part-time volunteer communication support worker primarily with Deaf adults and a year as an NAS befriender. Both jobs teminated for management reasons rather than me leaving.

HalfFull

My job mostly involves high level data entry and reporting associated work for a public sector organisation. For years my job was all about Performance Indicator reporting which I loved, then it was keeping a training database which I still do some of and maintaining informal staff records. I wasn't keen on this part of my job but I'm currently putting together a spreadsheet of safety equipment which I enjoy. In the past I've done various admin and data entry roles in all employment sectors.

Babadakad

I'm doing a voluntary year right now (voluntary social work), in which I work with mentally challenged adults. Cooking, painting, crafting are some of the things I do with them. After that I hope to do the general qualification for university entrance.

• Helpful 1

KimmyWSmith

I am a school librarian, but I taught English for 27 years in a high school.  It was really good for me after I figured out what I taught and could organize.  I love the library job, just my co-worker thinks I am rather mean and sort of bullies me.  

Nesf

I am a school librarian, but I taught English for 27 years in a high school.  It was really good for me after I figured out what I taught and could organize.  I love the library job, just my co-worker thinks I am rather mean and sort of bullies me.  

I was a teacher too, as I mentioned elsewhere, but found it too demanding - the noise, the large number of kids, maintaining discipline, the staff... spent most of my breaks in the library. I would rather be a librarian any day.

KimmyWSmith

I love my new job.  It will be perfect if the bully I work with will retire.  I keep trying to decide what I am doing to make her hate me.  I don't think it is all me or my Asperger's as the last to NT who worked in here were also run off.  She has the meanest personality, and I am having a hard time not shutting down some days.  I have an Aspie student who stays with me most of the time he is off since he said Aspies are Awesome and we are the only two.  :)

Pinky and his brain

I work as an IT supporter in an electronics store. Fixing the customers broken computers all day long.

I like fixing stuff, but I dont like all the trouble and stress that angry customers bring into the shop. Sometimes it takes me several hours to calm down after I get home.

At the end of the week I am just completely exhausted, and pretty much sleep the weekend away.

But I dont really know how I should change it. This is pretty much what I am good at. I just wish it was less exhausting.

aspiesw

I'm a student. Studying Web Development, I also work part time, in retail

Ben

You're a braver man than I am working in retail. - I worked in a shoe shop several years ago and lasted six hours. 

• Helpful 1

BU9 Nano

I am a Journeyman Inside Wireman Electrician. I have been doing this for the last 16 years and it is challenging and very fun on the best days. On bad days it sucks like any job can. 

Xmas

You're a braver man than I am working in retail. - I worked in a shoe shop several years ago and lasted six hours. 

Oh I hope you didn't get the boot!

Oh dear sorry Ben I shouldn't tease, now the shoe is on the other foot :blush: oops sorry now I've put my foot in it again, I'd better tread carefully from now on - maybe I should have put that comment in the bad joke thread. ;)

• Helpful 3

BU9 Nano

Oh dear sorry Ben I shouldn't tease, now the shoe is on the other foot :blush: oops sorry now I've put my foot in it again, I'd better tread carefully from now on - maybe I should have put that comment in the bad joke thread. ;)

:D I understand Ben's aversion to retail I doubt that I would have been a good fit in it either. OTOH I did manage the squadron coffee mess for 3 months and my accounts were always on the money. But I knew those people I sold to were who I would be working the flightline with later.

• Helpful 1

ASDCommunity

I work in sales and customer retention. It is a challenge but pays well.

Edited by ASDCommunity

BU9 Nano

That would not have been my guess from just meeting you if I had not known before hand.

Ben

I didn't think it was possible to have too many punch lines... 

I was wrong clearly. 

• Helpful 1

aspiesw

I work in retail :), I'm looking to get a job in Web Design as soon as I finish Uni

Toran

That's something that needs to be balanced isn't it. It's good to be able to work and achieve the challenges.

My support worker says you can make the condition worse by trying to do what clearly your unable to do and this could effect depression anxiety and behaviour so she is balancing these factors in how she is assisting me.

Do you find having a challenging job effects your moods and do you find the challenges causes you depression or anxiety in keeping up with NTs who don't have the limitations Aspergers patients have?

Xmas

I didn't think it was possible to have too many punch lines... 

I was wrong clearly. 

I will take that as a compliment from The Master. (oh, sounds like a character out of Dr Who) :P

• Helpful 2

ASDCommunity

That's something that needs to be balanced isn't it. It's good to be able to work and achieve the challenges.

My support worker says you can make the condition worse by trying to do what clearly your unable to do and this could effect depression anxiety and behaviour so she is balancing these factors in how she is assisting me.

Do you find having a challenging job effects your moods and do you find the challenges causes you depression or anxiety in keeping up with NTs who don't have the limitations Aspergers patients have?

You mean leaves me mentally drained each day and reeling? Umm...yup

That would not have been my guess from just meeting you if I had not known before hand.

You were EXACTLY how I expected though your acer was a bit different I guess. 

But now you mention it.....what would have been your guess. You got me curious now. 

Toran

ASD if you feel bad why do it, does that mean you are unbalanced?

BU9 Nano

You were EXACTLY how I expected though your acer was a bit different I guess. 

But now you mention it.....what would have been your guess. You got me curious now. 

Tradesman maybe. But then I work amongst tradesmen so maybe that is what I expect?

ASDCommunity

ASD if you feel bad why do it, does that mean you are unbalanced?

Has some great perks, like the people, like the money, worked worse places, on "a lances" its positives outweigh the negatives

Tradesman maybe. But then I work amongst tradesmen so maybe that is what I expect?

Oh ok. No that is a fair call.

Toran

Has some great perks, like the people, like the money, worked worse places, on "a lances" its positives outweigh the negatives

Oh ok. No that is a fair call.

You appear to deal with things like an NT you don't have many traits that the rest of us have.