• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Guest Chris

What do you do?

jcarenza10

We should start a getting fired business Im good at it too! Or I was. Mechanics is a tough trade, lots of back stabbing, favoritism etc. good luck finding another job. Do you have certifications? I still have four ASE certs. They definitely help. Get the green test prep books if you don't have certs. Brakes steering and suspension were the easiest. Engine repair test was close, electrical easy of you read through the prep book.

Thanks, it's nice to know that there are other aspie mechanics out there!

I don't have any certifications yet. I am trying to get an inspectors license though.

New York state initially rejected my application on the grounds that my auto related experience was mostly maintenance based and that acceptable repairs would be a/c, engines, suspension, brakes, (blah blah blah come back when you are a real mechanic kid). That wasn't easy to take in, they may as well have spit on my application. I sent a second application and included a cover letter so hopefully they say yes this time. 

I agree with you though, this is a real rough field to get into. They lure you in with promises then make unrealistic demands about how fast a job should be done. There is no room for perfectionism or god forbid, OCD. Shop politics has never been one of my strong points either. I'd really like to be good at the job on a professional level, unfortunately I'm just not cut out for it. Or at least all of the BS that comes with it (If I was doing work out of my own garage off the books it would be different).   

For better or worse, I'm just going to go back to school for something else. I am glad that you were able to make it work.

Edited by jcarenza10
  • Helpful 1

Rocco

Thanks, it's nice to know that there are other aspie mechanics out there!

I don't have any certifications yet. I am trying to get an inspectors license though.

New York state initially rejected my application on the grounds that my auto related experience was mostly maintenance based and that acceptable repairs would be a/c, engines, suspension, brakes, (blah blah blah come back when you are a real mechanic kid). That wasn't easy to take in, they may as well have spit on my application. I sent a second application and included a cover letter so hopefully they say yes this time. 

I agree with you though, this is a real rough field to get into. They lure you in with promises then make unrealistic demands about how fast a job should be done. There is no room for perfectionism or god forbid, OCD. Shop politics has never been one of my strong points either. I'd really like to be good at the job on a professional level, unfortunately I'm just not cut out for it. Or at least all of the BS that comes with it (If I was doing work out of my own garage off the books it would be different).   

For better or worse, I'm just going to go back to school for something else. I am glad that you were able to make it work.

I actually left that career and went back to being an electrician. Check out your local IBEW. With aspie traits if you can make it thru politics in beginning you get super good with wiring stuff as an art form. Or bending and shaping pipe. It really impresses the bosses. And it's a free 5year education with job placement. You would be indentured though. I Love it.

221BTardisMockingJay

I've had a few jobs so far, I babysat a group of six to thirteen children from ages two to eleven for an hour once a week for three weeks, I get along with kids really well and they weren't very loud and I didn't really have to talk to their parents so it worked out okay. I've also taken care of a couples two dogs and their house while they where away on vacation, It was really good money and very easy, my shortest stays where three days and the longest was thirteen days. The couple absolutely loves me, and have always asked me to take care of their dogs when they leave. I think I've worked for them off and over three years. I worked with my older sister as a sort cleaning laday for about a month, we got to clean after hours at a small business that selled heaters but the pay was low, the cleaning supplies they provided sucked and we worked really hard. I didn't a "real" full time job until about two years later, I worked at a Goodwill thrift store, ( in other words, retail) I started out as a Material Handler, (although I actually did the work of a Production Associate.) Even though I was sort slow at the work, I did end up catching on and eventually became the only person completely crossed trained in all departments, ( I even learned how to use a Pallet Jack!) I excelled at producing the best quality products in whatever department I worked in. My boss even asked me to become a cashier, I was reluctant due to having to work with "the general public" and because the cashiers where treated poorly. But, I knew that I wasn't going to work there forever, so I agreed because I knew that in the future I would to have all of the experience ( especially from my first job.) that I could get. It started out okay, but gradually I was treated worse as time went on, I was constantly being left alone on the sales floor, and had no help, I would have to put all the product that came out away, straighten the sales floor and keep it clean and tidy while still having to cashier and being excepted to provide great customer service. I managed, ( and was even told that I by a few customers that I had best customer service out of all of the other cashers, and was told that I should go into management because I handled customers so well.) We switched mangers, and the new one never really liked me. She gave me unfair and unrealistic goals, she said she'd "help" me learn better ways to my jobs, and then never did. After she asked me to be a cashier, things got really bad. She started piling up my work load, while leaving me to fend for myself out on the sales floor, and then was upset that I wasn't able to count down my till and do all of paperwork in 15 minutes. She then started firing and hiring people, and started nagging me about my breaks. I was careful not to go over on 15 minute breaks, and she would say that I was 5 minutes late. She then started in on my lunch breaks, and on what time I showed up for work, I ended up getting written up, and after a month of her breathing down my neck and me being on the verge of an anxiety attack, she fired me. I worked there for one year and six months. I was then unemployed for four months and just got a job working part time/seasonal at Silverwood, an amusement park, I'm going to be working in retail. I'm actually going to the Human Resources tomorrow to fill out paper work. I am very excited, and looking forward to it.

• Helpful 1

Andrew004

I would love to come up with a decent job title to what I do.

Sadly in reality I'm not currently working due to Anxiety which is very slowly getting better. 

Working closely with a supportive organisation and employment advisor to get going with volunteering as a stepping stone on to better opportunities. 

I have tried college, but that has fallen through due to disliking a classroom setting and being very anxious around others.

I hope I make a breakthrough soon. Trying my best to change.

Edited by Andrew004

brookeloveslotr

OMG! Do you?! That's AMAZING! I would love to work in the Disney store! What stuff have you got in the Disney store right now? I hadn't even considered that for myself but I probably would! 

Best job ever!  :D

I love Disney :D Sounds like an awesome job!

Saveyourscissors

I've been a support worker for Children with Autism for 1.5 years now and I love it but I find it so hard to work full time and I need to try and suppress my real self as nobody knows and I know I am good at my job but I don't want to risk people finding out and treating me differently. On somedays I don't have the strength to go to work or my anxiety is too bad to control at work, this really scares me. I'm worried that its all going to come out at work sooner or later :(

I've also now had 4/5 sick days only 1 not being down to anxiety issues. that was down to a migraine. if you go over 5 within your probation they may extend your probation :/ I don't know what to do if that does happen at any point because well, I can't cope with telling the the real reasons for my absences.

greenerthanyou

I've been a support worker for Children with Autism for 1.5 years now and I love it but I find it so hard to work full time and I need to try and suppress my real self as nobody knows and I know I am good at my job but I don't want to risk people finding out and treating me differently. On somedays I don't have the strength to go to work or my anxiety is too bad to control at work, this really scares me. I'm worried that its all going to come out at work sooner or later :(

I've also now had 4/5 sick days only 1 not being down to anxiety issues. that was down to a migraine. if you go over 5 within your probation they may extend your probation :/ I don't know what to do if that does happen at any point because well, I can't cope with telling the the real reasons for my absences.

It is really unfortunate that you work at a center for children with autism, but your coworkers are unable to accept an ASD person working alongside them. Can you speak with your superior or someone in HR confidentially? Confidentially meaning that they won't share your diagnosis with your coworkers? 

Saveyourscissors

the head and hr department know I have AS, its me not telling anyone, also I don't know  how they would take it but thats whats always happened to me in the past.

greenerthanyou

the head and hr department know I have AS, its me not telling anyone, also I don't know how they would take it but thats whats always happened to me in the past.

Are there any reasons why you think that they won't be accepting even though they work with children who have autism? This is a genuine question. I am not doubting your fears but instead would like to understand them better.

Saveyourscissors

They weren't at my last place, I don't want to be treated like one of the children they support by them. I want to be treated as an equal. Never in my life have I been treated like this by anyone except my family and josh once they have known about my AS. Why would they be any different? There is no way the staff with children treat them the way they do the children they work with they see them as different.

greenerthanyou

They weren't at my last place, I don't want to be treated like one of the children they support by them. I want to be treated as an equal. Never in my life have I been treated like this by anyone except my family and josh once they have known about my AS. Why would they be any different? There is no way the staff with children treat them the way they do the children they work with they see them as different.

Ok, I understand. You make sense. Your past coworkers were ignorant. I'm sorry about that. I understand not wanting to be treated differently. If it is not required by your job to tell your coworkers the reasons behind your absences, then you can say personal problems or that you simply rather not talk about it. Regardless, it sounds like a frustrating situation, and I wish you the best in figuring it out!

NobodyGetsMeLikeIDo

This is so nice to see what  you are all doing with your lives :Sparky:  

Edited by NobodyGetsMeLikeIDo

Khasper

I guess I should update my status as I am now unemployed.

I guess they have ignored me and harassed me long enough so that they no longer need me around.

Management is happy but the entire office has been calling me and telling me what a big mistake that they made.

dandelion

I guess I should update my status as I am now unemployed.

I guess they have ignored me and harassed me long enough so that they no longer need me around.

Management is happy but the entire office has been calling me and telling me what a big mistake that they made.

This is sad. How are you  feeling? Or you didn't like to work there and it made you happy?  

Spike Cooksley

I work in a Supported Living Home for severely dependant adults. I don't know if anyone else here works in the care industry but, from my point of view, it's a total minefield for someone with an unfortunate tendance to say the wrong thing at the wrong time. For me it led to a false accusation of abuse and 14 weeks suspension pending investigation (for which, by the way, I was totally cleared and I'm back at work :-) )

Khasper

I'm good, had the best sleep in a long time. Still sad because I was friends with most of the staff but happy I'm no longer being bullied.

• Helpful 3

Tylermc

I work at a restaurant as a pep cook and as a dishwasher

Tylermc

I work at a restaurant as a prep cook and a dishwasher

• Helpful 1

Miss Chief

My first job was as a Bar Maid/Waitress when I was 13! When I was 17 I started working for an ISP in Tech Support and most recently I was a Unix Server Admin, but I have been out of work for a few years now as my depression has taken a big turn for the worse and I am keen to get it under control before I go back, I don't want to have lots of absences/blank spots on my CV, I would rather have a longer period out and then no more empty slots.

• Helpful 2

aspiesw

My Recruitment Event for the PCV Trainee (Bus) Driver position is next Wednesday. I'm quite looking forward to it, I have to take tests on Driving Theory, Literacy & Numeracy. I can see career options opening everywhere. There's a contract for more hours going at the place I work, which I'm gonna go for, and I've got emails from web designer jobs asking for my portfolio website address. I still don't know what to do with my future, but I have plenty of options, I'm gonna go and see a careers advisor on Wednesday and weigh up my options

• Helpful 4

Nesf

My Recruitment Event for the PCV Trainee (Bus) Driver position is next Wednesday. I'm quite looking forward to it, I have to take tests on Driving Theory, Literacy & Numeracy. I can see career options opening everywhere. There's a contract for more hours going at the place I work, which I'm gonna go for, and I've got emails from web designer jobs asking for my portfolio website address. I still don't know what to do with my future, but I have plenty of options, I'm gonna go and see a careers advisor on Wednesday and weigh up my options

Things are really looking up for you :) Good luck with the recruitment event!

• Helpful 1

aspiesw

Things are really looking up for you :) Good luck with the recruitment event!

Thank you :). I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. I think it's a career I'd enjoy, and it'll get me into a routine, only disadvantage is, if I was to pursue a career in web design, I'd have to stick to the job for at least 2 years, or I'd have to pay back the training fees

Edited by aspiesw
  • Helpful 1

Ben

Did you apply for that First Capital Connect job in the end? 

• Helpful 1

Nedarb

I am going into my last year in a multimedia program at college. I have given my future career a lot of thought; I'd like to transfer to university and get my degree too, volunteer at the animal shelter (if I can just find the bloody place!), learn more animation techniques and get a internship/job in tv/radio broadcasting, maybe start a design business with my sister, etc. 

Theres lots more that I've thought about but this is what I'll say for now

• Helpful 2

aspiesw

Did you apply for that First Capital Connect job in the end?

They said they had enough applicants so I couldn't apply for it. I've been looking on London Midland (local train operating company) for the past month and nada

• Helpful 1