• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
DragonWing

30+ adult diagnosis

DragonWing

I've just been diagnosed at 35.

I'm interested in hearing experiences others have had after being diagnosed at this stage of life.

How it changed how you think and feel?

Work, family, friends etc

• Helpful 3

M A R K

Did you tell anyone before diagnosis?

I've just recently figured out i'm on the spectrum. I'm 37.  

Edited by M 4 R K J 7 8

DragonWing

I told some online friends but nobody in real life.

• Helpful 1

M A R K

I've told my friend offline, and after i explained a bit he said there was a glitch in the matrix :)

• Helpful 5

No Longer Here

I was diagnosed at 51. I held a picture quiz via Facebook. Each day I posted pictures of famous Aspie's and asked what the connection was. When someone got it I told everyone of my diagnosis.

• Helpful 6

Nesf

I was diagnosed at 41. I felt relieved, because I had often thought there was something wrong with me and I didn't understand why I felt differently to other people, and that provided a lot of answers. It helped me and others understand who I am better. I haven't told anyone except close family. If I hadn't got the diagnosis, I would be in despair.

Edited by Nesf
  • Helpful 6

Myrtonos

By posting this online, you are telling everyone who reads this page, which could be thousands of people worldwide.

• Helpful 1

M A R K

Don't really mind tbh. The chances of anyone i know reading it are very slim. 

• Helpful 1

M A R K

By posting this online, you are telling everyone who reads this page, which could be thousands of people worldwide.

you made me think now so i made it less obvious who i was. 

• Helpful 1

No Longer Here

you made me think now so i made it less obvious who i was.

It's a shame that you have been made to feel that way. I am 100% open about my Aspieness and have no real problems and lots of understanding.

• Helpful 7

M A R K

It's a shame that you have been made to feel that way. I am 100% open about my Aspieness and have no real problems and lots of understanding.

No i'm just not ready yet. I've only know for 5 minutes myself. I'd be proud to be diagnosed just like my son. 

• Helpful 4

Nesf

Who are you addressing this to? Me, the OP, or everyone who posts here?

I don't think that there is enough detail in any of my posts for anyone to be able to trace it to me. If someone who knows me stumbles across it and read enough of my other posts, then they may speculate that it might be me because I've written things about my life, but I leave no names or very specific personal data so it would be just speculation. It doesn't worry me too much.

• Helpful 4

RiRi

Who are you addressing this to? Me, the OP, or everyone who posts here?

I don't think that there is enough detail in any of my posts for anyone to be able to trace it to me. If someone who knows me stumbles across it and read enough of my other posts, then they may speculate that it might be me because I've written things about my life, but I leave no names or very specific personal data so it would be just speculation. It doesn't worry me too much.

I wish I didn't worry about this, but I do, just thinking about it right now worries me. That's why sometimes I wish there was an option to delete my account. I would even be willing to pay if such option existed. 

DragonWing

I used to have that paranoia but i no longer care

RiRi

I used to have that paranoia but i no longer care

The paranoia comes and goes for me. Sometimes I talk to people about it and they reassure me with things, but it comes back. How did you make it so that you no longer care?

Sorry, I hope I'm not derailing the thread. I know that the thread is about 30+ diagnosis, but I don't fit that description so can't contribute to this thread as such.

• Helpful 1

DragonWing

I don't know. Ive started to tell real people. I take stronger antidepressants.

RiRi

I don't know. Ive started to tell real people. I take stronger antidepressants.

I thought you hadn't told people, just people online? But that makes sense, I guess it helps when people know so there isn't much really to hide anyway.

DragonWing

Did i suggest that somewhere? If i did then I didn't mean to.

In the last month I've told real people, new friends only and then work last week. I haven't told old friends or family though but I'm not ashamed, just don't want it to be an issue.

Before a month ish ago I'd told only online people

I told some online friends but nobody in real life.

Ah here, I didn't tell anyone in real life until I had my formal diagnosis.

I was replying to the question asking who i told before diagnosis.

• Helpful 1

RiRi

Did i suggest that somewhere? If i did then I didn't mean to.

In the last month I've told real people, new friends only and then work last week. I haven't told old friends or family though but I'm not ashamed, just don't want it to be an issue.

Before a month ish ago I'd told only online people

Ah here, I didn't tell anyone in real life until I had my formal diagnosis.

I was replying to the question asking who i told before diagnosis.

Sorry, I missed that he had asked you if you had told before diagnosis. That's good that you have told people now after the diagnosis and that you're not ashamed about it.

• Helpful 1

CrohnicallyAwkward

I was officially diagnosed at 29 years 11 months, can I contribute to the thread?

CrohnicallyAwkward

It's made a huge (positive) difference. My mental health has always been up and down, I tried various talking therapies and drugs but I'm finally on an antidepressant that works for me. My family are more understanding of me. I'm more confident in who I am. I think most work colleagues were already making allowances for me but it's nice to have the legal protection the diagnosis gives you, especially as I changed teams and was having difficulties with one particular person making complaints against me. I'm still struggling with parenthood, but I'm learning to make adjustments and take care of myself which is helping.

• Helpful 4

DragonWing

I'm finding it positive in a similar way

• Helpful 1

weebo

i was diognosed at 29 i am 35 now

DragonWing

Have you found it to be a positive thing?

Has the diagnosis had much affect on your life.