• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spiderman0_2

Imageshack content delivery

Spiderman0_2

Hi All,

I have noticed that some signature images are not being displayed and on investigation this seems to be as a result of a change of terms and conditions at Imageshack.

Basically unless you have a premium account they will no longer deliver images to any forum / blog /site.

I would therefore advise you to use Photobucket or any other similar service, alternatively directly upload any signature image (as long as it is not too large!).

Further details here

https://medium.com/@ImageShack/imageshack-content-delivery-policy-changes-3984af30964e

Thanks

Spiderman0_2

(Jason)

RiRi

Thank you for notifying us. I had noticed this too, but had forgotten to say anything.

Sofi

Thank you. I noticed my signature is not showing, I'll have to try to sort it out. 

Alex

Oh, I've noticed this too with my own signature. I just thought it was something on my end, and I've been too lazy to investigate.

Thanks! I'll try and see if I can't fix it  :)

Edit: My signature seems to be displaying correctly now, without me having to do anything. How strange...

not around here anymore

Edit: My signature seems to be displaying correctly now, without me having to do anything. How strange...

Spooky…  :P

Alex

Spooky…  :P

Very spooky, yes! Anyhoo, as long as it's working, I'm happy  :)

not around here anymore

Very spooky, yes! Anyhoo, as long as it's working, I'm happy  :)

Absolutely, good to see it is working again  :)

tern

These problems with signatures have proved something important for the whole membership. They have proved -

* yes there are technical problems happening, and even,

* yes they are happening in erratic ways, including spontaneously coming right again without explanation.

This solidly proves it wrong, both on facts and as in unjust, a breach of supportive community, for anyone to be sceptical of any reported technical problem, as some have recently been. It shows - that if you test the feature of the site where a problem has been reported, and you find it working okay, that does not disprove that the problem happened and that in the recent past it had not been working.

We have seen that these signature problems happened. So any test done by this site upon the signatures system, at a time when it is working, will not entitle anyone to argue that the problems never happened.

Nor is it ever rational to do close ranks to deny a problem from a motive of protecting this site from responsibility for its existence. As this topic shows, technical problems may not come from within this site, they may come from other sites or domain hosts. They may also get fixed, at those other locations, without us knowing.

Then it is an absolute condition of the truth of any supportive community, an ethic in dealing with vulnerable folks, that automatically always in every case you be sympathetic, never condemnatory, towards any common sense step that any member affected by any technical fault takes to overcome its practical effects.

Spiderman0_2

@Tern

1. The signature problem was not actually connected to any technical issue with the site but was as a result of a change in the terms and conditions at imageshack, which happened on November 1st.

2. I noticed the issue, realised it was evident over multiple accounts and upon investigation noticed they all had Imageshack in common. I then looked at imageshack and noticed their change in terms and conditions. This issue did not just effect 1 member, and did not appear and disappear at random.

3. When something only appears to effect 1 account it is almost impossible to pin it down to an issue with the forum software. The only conclusion that I can come to is the issue is not in the forum. If others come forward with the same problem it gives me more information to work with and possibly come up with a solution or work around.

And to be blunt, you have only recently decided that this is a technical issue. You only recently posted about it in the feedback section (about 3 days ago).At no time before that did you report a technical problem. 

Until then you were posting in a different thread trying to contact the person who's message you had missed. As a result this caused others to be upset and derailed that thread, which wasn't fair on the person who started that thread. If you had reported a problem earlier or even started a new thread (with a title of I missed a Private message) you would have got an entirely different response from other members.

You are being somewhat disingenuous in throwing out an accusation that my motives for appearing skeptical about the notification issue is to do with protecting the forum . You certainly have no idea what lengths I have gone to to find out if others have been effected and if there are reports of this on the support forums.

All I (and others) have tried to do is try to find the route cause by eliminating all other possibilities first, by asking legitimate questions about what happened and suggesting possible solutions. This is part of any support process, and helps narrow things down.

tern

You are being somewhat disingenuous in throwing out an accusation that my motives for appearing skeptical about the notification issue is to do with protecting the forum.

An opinion on what would be the merits of anyone acting from that motive, is not an accusation that any specific person already has done! It's part of ruling out various options in reacting to problems.

The signature problem was not actually connected to any technical issue with the site

Not with this site, but with other sites, having an effect on this site. A case of "the issue is not on the forum".

You only recently posted about it in the feedback section (about 3 days ago).At no time before that did you report a technical problem.

I didn't have time to when forced to spend 3 days practically continuously defending myself against raging baying draining argument whose stresses wore at my physical health on those days and gave me broken nights.

If you had reported a problem earlier or even started a new thread (with a title of I missed a Private message)

Nobody sees every thread. Any new thread is more likely to be missed, than seen, by any one given member.

If others come forward with the same problem it gives me more information to work with and possibly come up with a solution or work around.

Yes, of course it does. That is exactly why, as an ethic of support with vulnerable unconfident folks, automatically, nobody who strives to overcome the effects of a fault must ever come under hammering from a group. Because that will frighten any other affected members there may be, into silence about it, for fear of getting treated the same way then of not being upheld. That will then result in not getting the information leading to a solution, from the folks who don't speak up so who you never get to know had a problem.

Suppose this Imageshack problem had been raised, or mentioned anywhere, by an ordinary member instead of an admin? In an [i/]autistic forum, if other members had turned on the one for not having known by unwritten instinct what practices those others regarded as right and wrong, then everyone else affected by the problem could be left too scared ever to make their experience known. Some of them already at very vulnerable emotional moments of need for a safe place where they never have to be scared that several folks piling into one are ever held as right. Then the simple helpful swapping of experiences with signatures, which you have given each other in this thread, would have been prevented and would never have happened.

and did not appear and disappear at random.

Excuse every reader! That is exactly what Alex's experience told us did happen.

A signature stopped working then later restarted for no observable reason. That was a technical event. A change in terms and conditions, simply a rewriting of words, can't make that happen. Only technical works, by Imageshack or by any other party relevant to the signatures appearing, can make that happen. This includes technical works done to give physical effect to the change of terms and conditions. It's only through technical alterations that a change in terms and conditions can have any effect.

Willow

@tern

I will be replying to your PM later. Until then I don't expect to see anymore posts relating to any issues you raised in said PM and as such am locking this thread.