• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Willow

Do You Ever Worry You Don't Have Aspergers?

Dr-David-Banner

" and that when functioning well, you still are Aspergers just the same as when having a lot of meltdowns, high stimming, overwhelm and lowered capacity to engage in life. "
This over time came as a bit of a puzzle. At the moment I'm very high-functioning in the cognitive sense but non-functioning socially. I was functioning socially for many months at the level of sharing humour and chatting but this suddenly took a big step backwards. The bottom line is without actual employment support and some acknowledgement of AS issues at work, I remain officially on the scrap heap. I found this unusual as most people on the spectrum have jobs or even have families. Clearly environment plays a part too. I did a search last night to see if there were many people with AS who could barely fit into a working environment. Those I found were encouraging. One person stated he struggled to understand verbal instructions and concentrated so much on the details of tasks, he performed too slowly. So, he couldn't stay in employment. This has always been my problem. At the moment I am doing boat electrical work to a high standards but I work slowly. The end result is fine but in real life nobody takes as much time.

Nesf
45 minutes ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

One person stated he struggled to understand verbal instructions and concentrated so much on the details of tasks, he performed too slowly. So, he couldn't stay in employment. This has always been my problem. At the moment I am doing boat electrical work to a high standards but I work slowly. The end result is fine but in real life nobody takes as much time

I'm working on  translations, but I work too slowly for it to become financially viable.

Dr-David-Banner

There's an art to translation. I feel years ago in class it was done too literally. Too clingy to the original. In film translations I found errors. In Karate Kid 3 the English original was the Karate teacher says,"Time to move on, Mr Larusso. Time to move on!" The translation was, "Tienes muy buena manera, Senor Larusso. De eso no cabe duda." Yet that latter I would read as, "You've got a lot of style, Mr Larusso. No doubt about that!"
So maybe taking your time is a good thing?

Nesf
1 hour ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

So maybe taking your time is a good thing?

For the translation, yes, because I do a better job.

Fighter101

I have worried since knowing this conditon and how it makes sense for my past and present self, that I maybe overexaggerating my lack of social skills, confidence and self esteem, and where self hitting has developed more frequently now that im older. But have memories of obsessing over a game and hitting my self when frustated. As a child would that be a concerning act because my family have never picked up on it? And does violent imagination in a childs mine becoming a concerning factor too?

Fighter101

Why is rejection so hard to deal with from someone? It puts me into a bad depression is this a symptom??

Sanctuary

I think rejection is hard for anyone to deal with but it may hit people with AS harder - we may tend to more "thin-skinned" and often have problems such as depression and anxiety which make dealing with rejection more difficult.

• Like 2

Gone home
7 hours ago, Fighter101 said:

Why is rejection so hard to deal with from someone?

I suppose if we are not in the habit of doing it to others - we don't understand whats happening ... especially during younger years.
I don't think I have much issue with constructive criticism ... but blatant rejection when untoward / misguided / corrupt - is too much to process and can have a devastating impact on cognitive processes and hence lifes path .
A lot of things can be influenced for the better by processing things in a way that 'sits right' with us... it can take a while ...

RiRi

I sometimes worry about whether I'm not autistic. Sometimes it's a brief thought. Like what if this is just a set of behaviors that people decided to call autistic? I know that's what it seems like it is, but if there was no label then I wouldn't be autistic and just be the set of behaviors. I wonder about the possible people out there who might be autistic because they have these set of behaviors but just go about their life knowing that they struggle with certain things, just that they don't have the label. Maybe they know about it and don't think they're autistic or maybe they don't know about it. 

Sometimes I wonder if I got the wrong diagnosis, but I quickly realize that of course I'm autistic.

I wonder if worrying that we're not autistic is like an autistic trait because it seems like many of us have worried about this. Or maybe autistic people just worry about things more than others?

• Like 1

Nesf
11 hours ago, RiRi said:

I wonder if worrying that we're not autistic is like an autistic trait because it seems like many of us have worried about this. Or maybe autistic people just worry about things more than others?

I think that this anxiety or uncertainty is a part of autism, as we don;t always know where we stand with other people and where we fit into the world.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Gone home

Its odd really.
Periodically we can worry that we are not autistic, yet in public worry that we are seen as autistic.