• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Willow

Do You Ever Worry You Don't Have Aspergers?

Bruce

Hopefully, that'll all be sorted out soon, then! Did you say you had an appointment with somebody for a diagnosis?

Toran

Ive searched the internet and come up with this information. If you are not working now but have an official diagnosis of aspergers you must tell your potential employer before you take the job. To quote the statement I read if you disclose it after and are working the employer would be within their rights to show you the door. It doesnt work the same if your in employment at the time and have a diagnosis. I never knew that fact Im just making it known for those that didnt know also.

• Helpful 1

Toran
Thank-you for the advice I will keep what you said in mind. Like you I also have other ASD traits such as special interests and sensory problems. I hate noise in particular, but also I am sensitive to light and certain smells. Although I do travel in buses and sit in waiting rooms, I hate both not just for social reasons but also because of the various smells that come from people. I am also a bit apprehensive when eating out because again not only the social issue but also noise, smells and I can't stand the texture of certain foods depending on how they are cooked. Many a time I have stood in the door of a restaurant and turned around and walked straight back out. I don't like being touched either.

It will be difficult going back to work because I do have to decide how much I can say. If I say nothing, my colleagues will be wondering why I took so much time off for stress. And of course I can't tell my employer that my stress/anxiety is a result of ASD until I get a diagnosis. 

I had the same dilemma but in my opinion its best to be open about it because if works effected you could be disciplined or sanctioned for your sick record but they may do that anyway. They could think your being lazy or off hand with other workers where as its to do with the syndrome over all I think its the best thing to do.

Xmas
Hopefully, that'll all be sorted out soon, then! Did you say you had an appointment with somebody for a diagnosis?

Yes, I am waiting for a date, but that will probably take some time so I am going to return to work in the meantime and see how things go

I had the same dilemma but in my opinion its best to be open about it because if works effected you could be disciplined or sanctioned for your sick record but they may do that anyway. They could think your being lazy or off hand with other workers where as its to do with the syndrome over all I think its the best thing to do.

Yes I agree, because before I went on the sick and I was having problems, those very things you mention were on my mind. I was thinking that people must be thinking I'm lazy and also wondering why I was not responding when certain people were talking to me. I was powerless to do anything different and also very confused myself.

But I also agree with Nesf and I have to be careful who I tell until I know whether it is ASD or Social Phobia etc.

Bruce

Hope the waiting list to get diagnosed where you are isn't as bad as it is now, down here! I think it's about a year between getting referred & getting to see somebody for a diagnosis here....

Nesf
Ive searched the internet and come up with this information. If you are not working now but have an official diagnosis of aspergers you must tell your potential employer before you take the job. To quote the statement I read if you disclose it after and are working the employer would be within their rights to show you the door. It doesnt work the same if your in employment at the time and have a diagnosis. I never knew that fact Im just making it known for those that didnt know also.

That's useful information. also if you are already in employment they don't have the right to dismiss you or discriminate against you in any way because of your diagnosis.

• Helpful 1

Toran
Yes, I am waiting for a date, but that will probably take some time so I am going to return to work in the meantime and see how things go

Yes I agree, because before Ient on the sick and I was having problems, those very things you mention were on my mind. I was thinking that people must be thinking I'm lazy and also wondering why I was not responding when certain people were talking to me. I was powerless to do anything different and also very confused myself.

But I also agree with Nesf and I have to be careful who I tell until I know whether it is ASD or Social Phobia etc.

Totally agree you have to be very careful how you handle it and be sure your approaching it right its a difficult one to do in the right way.

My councilor who isnt at the autism centre also mentioned social issues but I dont believe it in my case. Ive been like it since earliest memorys and as im 47 now ive developed my own way of coping that a young child cant do so you have to try and forget the coping mechanisms you have developed otherwise they wont see you how you really are thats a dilemma all older aspies are going to face.

Toran
That's useful information. also if you are already in employment they don't have the right to dismiss you or discriminate against you in any way because of your diagnosis.

Thats right at least we have some protection in our current jobs so that is some comfort while we are going through these tests at the moment. Doesnt sound good for people looking for work or if we are made unemployed but its the law.

Toran
Hope the waiting list to get diagnosed where you are isn't as bad as it is now, down here! I think it's about a year between getting referred & getting to see somebody for a diagnosis here....

Thats terrible if my authorities are as good as their word I should be tested around june or july about a five month wait roughly and I thought that was really bad didnt know how lucky I was.

Xmas

I know, it is slow process and I should have got things moving sooner. But I kept putting off going to my GP about it because I did not know how to begin describing what I was going through.

Totally agree you have to be very careful how you handle it and be sure your approaching it right its a difficult one to do in the right way. My councilor who isnt at the autism centre also mentioned social issues but I dont believe it in my case. Ive been like it since earliest memorys and as im 47 now ive developed my own way of coping that a young child cant do so you have to try and forget the coping mechanisms you have developed otherwise they wont see you how you really are thats a dilemma all older aspies are going to face.

Yes I agree - but you would think that somehow a psychiatrist would be aware of these coping mechanisms that we use and see them as part of the problem because as you well know, they are just superficial. Perhaps I am expecting too much from the professionals.

• Helpful 1

Toran
I know, it is slow process and I should have got things moving sooner. But I kept putting off going to my GP about it because I did not know how to begin describing what I was going through.

Yes I agree - but you would think that somehow a psychiatrist would be aware of these coping mechanisms that we use and see them as part of the problem because as you well know, they are just superficial. Perhaps I am expecting too much from the professionals.

I think the trouble is they get taught one way and thats it and if we dont fit in that then naturally we dont have it. I mentioned my coping mechanism but she didnt seem to think its relevant but may be wrong but thats how it seemed to me but she isnt at the autistic centre so maybe those there do take it into consideration I guess will just have to wait and see but I dont have much faith to be honest.

• Helpful 1

Xmas
I think the trouble is they get taught one way and thats it and if we dont fit in that then naturally we dont have it. I mentioned my coping mechanism but she didnt seem to think its relevant but may be wrong but thats how it seemed to me but she isnt at the autistic centre so maybe those there do take it into consideration I guess will just have to wait and see but I dont have much faith to be honest.

I think my main objective is to try and keep working and keep my job safe. But if I have got ASD I need to know as it will strengthen my position if things go pear-shaped again. And on a lighter not I would rather be called an aspie than a social misfit or recluse lol!

• Helpful 3

Toran
I think my main objective is to try and keep working and keep my job safe. But if I have got ASD I need to know as it will strengthen my position if things go pear-shaped again. And on a lighter not I would rather be called an aspie than a social misfit or recluse lol!

I see your point there its better to have a reason for your own piece of mind at least and to strenghen your position cant do any harm to your situation and maybe you may get some understanding and thought from them as well.

• Helpful 1

Andy

Do I ever worry I don't have Asperger's? Nope because I haven't got Asperger's despite having a diagnosis for such. Oh sure Asperger's was seen by one clued up in it and perhaps looking for it, where what I have is known to be autism like but it's not autism as with it comes attention deficit stuff and dyspraxia. The result is sometimes Asperger's is there plain and simple but other times it is not and people wonder how I ended up with an AS diagnosis, but AS coping strategies don't work for me which might be expected bearing in mind despite having a diagnosis of AS, I don't have AS.

And I do live in total confusion where no one is able to help because they don't know what to do with autism like but not autism.

But I have a theory that the AS component comes out strongly with mood shifts of which I believe the mood shifts are chemical imbalances and not necessarily in the brain although the brain sees them and orders the creation of them based on what it sees.

• Helpful 1

Toran
Do I ever worry I don't have Asperger's? Nope because I haven't got Asperger's despite having a diagnosis for such. Oh sure Asperger's was seen by one clued up in it and perhaps looking for it, where what I have is known to be autism like but it's not autism as with it comes attention deficit stuff and dyspraxia. The result is sometimes Asperger's is there plain and simple but other times it is not and people wonder how I ended up with an AS diagnosis, but AS coping strategies don't work for me which might be expected bearing in mind despite having a diagnosis of AS, I don't have AS.

And I do live in total confusion where no one is able to help because they don't know what to do with autism like but not autism.

But I have a theory that the AS component comes out strongly with mood shifts of which I believe the mood shifts are chemical imbalances and not necessarily in the brain although the brain sees them and orders the creation of them based on what it sees.

I can see why you feel like you do but you have the knowledge of ylu personally need. Does it matter what people think because what they say and do doesnt effect you and you dont listen to them . This would give me peace of mind to be so sure and know whats wrong with me so I could work on an answer for myself and take no notice of those that dont know or care about me and the condition I have.

Toran

I worry a great deal about a lot of things including my aspergers assessment what if they think I have something else or they cant help me and I have to spend the rest of my life in limbo. What do I do if nobody can decide what I have where do I go from there.

Bruce

Potentially, if you're sure its AS, you could go for a second opinion or it may be that they convince you it isn't that but something else - in that case, it's still an answer!

Willow

Good luck to those of you who will be having assessments :)

It's interesting reading through everyone's replies here :D

@Toran, if you don't have Aspergers, I'm sure they will help you figure out what it is, you'll just have to be persistent with them, that you know there is a problem, and that you struggle. They will find what the reason is.

• Helpful 4

mary

As per Willow's sentiments, good luck to everyone who is going through the assessment process.  I hope it all goes smoothly for you and that you get the answers you need, and then support if you require it.

• Helpful 2

Nesf

Apparently, someone one from the diagnostic centre where they are going to conduct my new assessment called my mum and told her they were coming to visit me at home in three days, and my mum turned them down because I'm in Greece at the moment and it's too short notice. I'm rather disappointed at this because I missed this opportunity and don't know if I'll get another one :(

Bruce

That is a shame! Where is home, then?

mary
Apparently, someone one from the diagnostic centre where they are going to conduct my new assessment called my mum and told her they were coming to visit me at home in three days, and my mum turned them down because I'm in Greece at the moment and it's too short notice. I'm rather disappointed at this because I missed this opportunity and don't know if I'll get another one :(

That is a shame!  Could you not perhaps contact them and explain that you're in Greece at the moment, and ask them if there is a possibility to reschedule, as it was rather short notice?

Nesf
That is a shame!  Could you not perhaps contact them and explain that you're in Greece at the moment, and ask them if there is a possibility to reschedule, as it was rather short notice?

i think they told my mum I should contact them on returning to the UK.

Toran

Did you put yourself down for a shorterm appointment if you didnt seems a bit out of order to me you have to have notice.

Nesf
Did you put yourself down for a shorterm appointment if you didnt seems a bit out of order to me you have to have notice.

I don't know what I was down for, I wasn't expecting it so soon, and I was expecting a few weeks notice like I had with the private assessment. I think it could have been a screening or something. It's frustating that I didn't get to talk to them.