• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mimo

Results are In!

Mimo

I finally met with a counselor today. She asked me a few questions about my struggles and then had me take an online quiz. I scored in strongly likely, just a few points under absolutely likely. So basically she said for sure I'm an aspie.

What a relief!  I can stop researching symptoms and trying to prove to myself that I might have Aspergers vs just being quirky and stuff. 

But now what? How in the world do I share this with my parents? Should I tell my in-laws or my extended family?? What about my job, should I tell my boss? (Her ex-boyfriends son is on the spectrum and she often cared for him so she does have some positive experience with asd). So many questions.

The fullness of the diagnosis hasn't quite sunk in yet but I can't explain how relieved I am to know that I'm not crazy!

Mimo

i'm sorry for the double post. not sure what i did. maybe someone can delete the extra one?

mysti

I'm sure one of the moderators would be happy to delete this extra post for you.

BDEGRD

ive been searching around to get an assessment myself.  Ive been quoted as high as $3100 Canadian.  but I just found one for $400.  so now I have to get up the nerve to go get it done, im not sure how I would feel........

thegingerone

I wish I could give better advice, but I haven't reached the stage of diagnosis yet.

But, regarding telling your parents, I'd say do it sooner rather than leaving it because the longer you leave it, the harder it gets to talk to them about it (I know from experience) 

Best wishes :)

RiRi

Congratulations :) It feels nice having the diagnosis. :) I have been less hard on myself because I know I have something and I know I struggle with things. As for telling your family, I think it really depends, perhaps bring the subject up and see what they think about it. You can gradually build up to it. Although I can say that explaining what autism/Asperger's is can be hard so maybe you can write up what it is in general and if you're comfortable, how it relates to you. I know I've found it hard to explain it. Good luck on whatever you decide to do. :)

Baby Girl Plastic

Still trying to figure out what's up with me. I want to ask someone, but I don't know who.

Mimo
18 hours ago, Baby Girl Plastic said:

Still trying to figure out what's up with me. I want to ask someone, but I don't know who.

I read your about me in your profile. I'm sorry for the confusion and frustration you are going through. If you are close to your parents maybe you could just come out and ask them about the books and stuff.

I didn't know for sure that I had spina bifida until I was in college and old enough to request my dr's notes. I looked different and grew up with annual visits to a neurosurgeon and a urologist. I too found a book about spina bifida and learning disabilities. It was hard and frustrating not knowing for sure. I think my parents just didn't know how to tell me. Having Asperger's made it hard for me to communicate my feelings growing up and my parents withholding information made that worse. But I know they were just doing the best they knew to do and I work hard to keep an open communication with them now, but it's still hard and there are still things I don't share.

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what Asperger's is and what's going on with you. If you can find a way, I suggest talking with your parents first. If that doesn't help maybe a teacher or school counselor?

AspieFox
On 09/09/2016 at 10:15 PM, Baby Girl Plastic said:

Ask your GP. You could do some online tests first, perhaps. Aspietests dot org has some.

AspieFox

Sorry, just read the reply by Mimo, so what I wrote may not apply.