• Announcements

• Willow

Hello!   03/17/16

Welcome to Asperclick! I'm Willow, the founder and moderator. Have a browse around the site and sign up to talk with our members. I hope you find the site useful
Lefki

OCD

23 posts in this topic

Does anyone else here have OCD or some similar traits? How do you cope with that in your everyday life? 

Mine are mostly connected with food preparation, placing things in a particular way, sleeping in a certain spot, cleaning my hands every time they feel heavy or smell or touch certain things and many more.

My mum has suggested a couple of times that I might have this, but I disagree. I have one or two traits, such as having to check the mailbox two or three times a day, or every time I pass it even though the mailman has already passed, having to have my coffee mug filled right up to the brim even though I know I'm going to spill it, or having the dished arranged in a certain order on the dish rack, checking doors two ot three times to see if they are locked, etc, but I don't think that those symptoms interfere with my life sufficiently enough for me to need a separate diagnosis. I think that these traits are part of having Asperger's and wanting to have things in order, rather than full-blown OCD.

19 minutes ago, Lefki said:

Does anyone else here have OCD or some similar traits? How do you cope with that in your everyday life? 

Mine are mostly connected with food preparation, placing things in a particular way, sleeping in a certain spot, cleaning my hands every time they feel heavy or smell or touch certain things and many more.

I used to have that. I had it so bad that I couldn't leave the house due to crippling symptoms.

Don't let the illusion control you! You don't want to wash your hands! You don't want to sleep in a certain spot, you want sleep wherever you want to sleep! Fight it with every ounce of energy you have! Reject OCD! :(

OCD is like a fungus and you have to stop it while it's small. Don't let it grow! OCD sucks!

I was about to hit "Submit reply" when I saw a train on TV which reminded me of this old comparison. You are on a train and it's going really fast so the thought of jumping off is terrifying for obvious reasons. So you stay on while you actually want to get off. But you know what? The train is standing still! You can get off at any time safely! That's what OCD does; it creates an illusion which causes suffering!

Don't waste time. Don't waste your life. OCD sucks.

I think by now I don't notice my compulsions until my wife points them out. I tend to like things the same but am often loose about it. But then sometimes I can just fly off the handle if something changes and catches me unawares. Like the time my wife got several new cooking pans and move everything in the cupboard around! Fortunately, I had come down early and had time to chill out before she showed up but my initially reaction was 9.0 on the Richter scale.

I've got loads of traits but only when I'm in my own home. The only one that really effects me is that I wash my hands so much they get very dry. Apart from that there just time costuming and frustrating.

I do have OCD, I try to channel it into productive things and avoid doing the ones that aren't productive.

11 hours ago, Little Guy said:

I think by now I don't notice my compulsions until my wife points them out. I tend to like things the same but am often loose about it. But then sometimes I can just fly off the handle if something changes and catches me unawares. Like the time my wife got several new cooking pans and move everything in the cupboard around! Fortunately, I had come down early and had time to chill out before she showed up but my initially reaction was 9.0 on the Richter scale.

Yeah, I totally get this. I hate people moving my stuff around.

I have read somewhere that OCD and OCd traits in Autism may look the same but there is a huge difference between them and this is the cause of those actions. People with OCD tend to repeat some behaviors and have obsessions under the fear of something bad to happen if they don't. However, people with autism do that stuff because they need to have control, stability, because of sensory sensitivities (for example you wash your hands because the feeling of dirt or grease on them is unbearable). 

Do you agree with that statement? I think I do. Because, for instance, I want to sleep in a certain spot in my bed because it is close enough to the bathroom, the other side of the bed has a widow so when it is windy outside cold air tend to get through it and I feel the cold, also there is a wall which make me feel a lot of pressure and some more issues like those. But I have never thought that if I sleep on the other side something really will happen.

I agree with the statement but I still have OCD. I have to do certain things over and over in a certain way until it is completed in a certain way, if I am prevented from completing this I get enormous anxiety that something bad will happen and it will be my fault. So much so that I just don't ever do some things cause I know I won't be able to control it once I start and it may mean doing it for hours and hours until the right conditions occur for me to finish the process in the 'correct' way.

I ALSO do some things that are obsessive/repetitive because I find it soothing/reassuring to do so and I have over sensitivity to things like feeling sticky or greasy etc. But I definitely have OCD as well. 

I should say it is also diagnosed.

29 minutes ago, Lefki said:

I have read somewhere that OCD and OCd traits in Autism may look the same but there is a huge difference between them and this is the cause of those actions. People with OCD tend to repeat some behaviors and have obsessions under the fear of something bad to happen if they don't. However, people with autism do that stuff because they need to have control, stability, because of sensory sensitivities (for example you wash your hands because the feeling of dirt or grease on them is unbearable). 

Do you agree with that statement? I think I do. Because, for instance, I want to sleep in a certain spot in my bed because it is close enough to the bathroom, the other side of the bed has a widow so when it is windy outside cold air tend to get through it and I feel the cold, also there is a wall which make me feel a lot of pressure and some more issues like those. But I have never thought that if I sleep on the other side something really will happen.

Yes, I do agree with this. The OCD-like traits that I have are down to me wanting to have things a certain way due to sensory sensitivities or because I want to be in control or have things in order. I don't think that something bad is going to happen to me if I don't do them, and things like wanting to check that doors are locked are within the normal range of human behaviour. I definitely don't have OCD, whatever my mum might think!

3 hours ago, Lefki said:

Do you agree with that statement? I think I do. Because, for instance, I want to sleep in a certain spot in my bed because it is close enough to the bathroom, the other side of the bed has a window so when it is windy outside cold air tend to get through it and I feel the cold, also there is a wall which make me feel a lot of pressure and some more issues like those. But I have never thought that if I sleep on the other side something really will happen.

Oh, OK. That's not OCD then. :) I can sleep quietly at night now, knowing you don't have OCD. ^_^

Edited by Peridot

3 hours ago, Nesf said:

The OCD-like traits that I have are down to me wanting to have things a certain way due to sensory sensitivities or because I want to be in control or have things in order.

Same with clothes. When I find comfortable clothes, I wear them all the time. They have to be soft, loose and invariably cotton. Plain, non-bright colors -- no stripes please. Not that I mean I wear the same item many days running. Currently, I light the sun-washed shirts from LL Bean - so I have ten in my closet: short & long sleeve. Browns, grey, green & khaki.

4 minutes ago, Little Guy said:

Same with clothes. When I find comfortable clothes, I wear them all the time. They have to be soft, loose and invariably cotton. Plain, non-bright colors -- no stripes please. Not that I mean I wear the same item many days running. Currently, I light the sun-washed shirts from LL Bean - so I have ten in my closet: short & long sleeve. Browns, grey, green & khaki.

Same here, I don't like bright colours or stripes, either, and I like plain colours. White is ok, but not yellow or pink or bright orange. I like baggy, warm, comfortable clothes. I tend to wear the same ones all the time and it is with great reluctance that I take them off and wash them.

1 hour ago, Nesf said:

Same here, I don't like bright colours or stripes, either, and I like plain colours. White is ok, but not yellow or pink or bright orange. I like baggy, warm, comfortable clothes. I tend to wear the same ones all the time and it is with great reluctance that I take them off and wash them.

Shopping is like a punishment for me, for real... When I enter a shop I freak out so much that I don't pay attention to what I am buying, so I end up bringing ridiculous clothes back, some don't even fit... Only what I have bought online is really my style (or my boyfriend's clothes, which I wear actually in the end....lol). But I pretty much agree with you!! Jeans, sweatpants, t-shirts (black/blue/grey/red) and some warm clothes and I am pretty content!!!

I have a minor ocd and whatever that thing is called where like if one hand is wet it doesn't feel right until the other is the same.

large.gif

3 hours ago, Lefki said:

When I enter a shop I freak out

That's why I buy as much as possible from Amazon or other online retailers.
I really thought I was mental the way I would shut down as soon as walked into a store.
I often only get half of what's on my list.
I also usually head for the self-pay check counter.

17 hours ago, Lefki said:

Shopping is like a punishment for me, for real... When I enter a shop I freak out so much that I don't pay attention to what I am buying

Yeah, me too. I have to plan my shop visits. I need to know exactly what to buy, and where it is located. That always ends bad, when the shop decides to rearrange everything. I then usually panic, and have to leave the shop without the stuff I need.

And buying clothes is an absolute terror. I'm so bad at buying clothes it's almost a joke. :lol:

I think I have a few of the traits.  I have to wear certain things on certain days.  Take the same routes to go places, and I'd get annoyed if I missed the ride.  I don't think anything bad will happen if I don't, but it's something that I do.  In the past--and to an extent now--I checked to see if the toilet was flushed, if I have everything in my purse over and over.  It's kinda comforting to do that for some reason.  I'd have thoughts sometimes that I don't want to have.  It's hard to push them out. 

Although it's not diagnosed and I'm not sure if my traits would pass a diagnosis I feel I have elements of OCD in two areas in particular.

The first is obsessive concern about locks, keys and security. When I'm at home I regularly check that I've locked the doors even though I haven't been out since I last checked them. I check them "just to be sure". Leaving the house means multiple checking the door is locked. I can't just lock a door as some people do and walk off or even just check the handle once - I check it several times and while I'm doing so I look at some object such as a car in the distance or say a phrase under my breath just to convince myself I've checked the lock. The same happens when I check the car door. I'm not sure how often people go through my last "ritual" of associating the check with something they've seen or said. I also regularly check I haven't lost my bank card or misplaced my keys.

The second is checking of other kinds, particularly what I've written or am sending. I check anything I've written (such as this post) twice for any errors, typos or phrases which somehow I think might cause confusion or even offend someone. The latter is despite the fact my posts don't seem to have had these problems. If I've included a picture or an attachment I check it's the right one several times, even when I've checked moments earlier. I also check I've sent it to the right person. Whenever I send things through the post I go through the same process of multiple checks including whether I've written the address correctly. Very rarely have I made a mistake with something I've sent but I still feel I need to do the checks and wouldn't feel comfortable scaling them back. Other multiple checks are whether I've left car lights on after driving or left taps running after filling the sink.

In all these cases my actions are I think outside the normal range but they don't seriously disrupt my life. Some people with severe OCD relating to locks might check hundreds of times and even return home because of fear they've left a door unlocked. They might check something they've written dozens of times or even not send it at all. I do wish though I wasn't such as relentless a checker. I'm not sure if AS has played into any of these aspects of OCD for me but they're all manifestations of anxiety which I find frustrating though manageable.

On 3/25/2016 at 9:17 PM, Little Guy said:

Ahhh - that would really get me and has done in the last year or two :(

On 12/04/2017 at 9:53 AM, Sanctuary said:

Although it's not diagnosed and I'm not sure if my traits would pass a diagnosis I feel I have elements of OCD in two areas in particular.

The first is obsessive concern about locks, keys and security. When I'm at home I regularly check that I've locked the doors even though I haven't been out since I last checked them. I check them "just to be sure". Leaving the house means multiple checking the door is locked. I can't just lock a door as some people do and walk off or even just check the handle once - I check it several times and while I'm doing so I look at some object such as a car in the distance or say a phrase under my breath just to convince myself I've checked the lock. The same happens when I check the car door. I'm not sure how often people go through my last "ritual" of associating the check with something they've seen or said. I also regularly check I haven't lost my bank card or misplaced my keys.

The second is checking of other kinds, particularly what I've written or am sending. I check anything I've written (such as this post) twice for any errors, typos or phrases which somehow I think might cause confusion or even offend someone. The latter is despite the fact my posts don't seem to have had these problems. If I've included a picture or an attachment I check it's the right one several times, even when I've checked moments earlier. I also check I've sent it to the right person. Whenever I send things through the post I go through the same process of multiple checks including whether I've written the address correctly. Very rarely have I made a mistake with something I've sent but I still feel I need to do the checks and wouldn't feel comfortable scaling them back. Other multiple checks are whether I've left car lights on after driving or left taps running after filling the sink.

In all these cases my actions are I think outside the normal range but they don't seriously disrupt my life. Some people with severe OCD relating to locks might check hundreds of times and even return home because of fear they've left a door unlocked. They might check something they've written dozens of times or even not send it at all. I do wish though I wasn't such as relentless a checker. I'm not sure if AS has played into any of these aspects of OCD for me but they're all manifestations of anxiety which I find frustrating though manageable.

I do this and I do have diagnosed OCD... I have had to drive home before because I can't remember the door is locked, even though I check it thoroughly, I worry I am remembering from a previous time I left the house.