• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BDEGRD

Diagnosed Today

BDEGRD

I was formally diagnosed today with Aspergers.  I wrote in a previous post about how hard it was to get one at t reasonable price but I did finally track down a psychologist who was reasonable.  So now what?  Its interesting in one way that there is an answer of sorts at 34 years old about why I have had the struggles ive had.  The psychologist made some interesting points about how yes I fall into that category and yes I have it, but also the cause wasn't officially known.  she was saying that some people are born that way others develop that way, though I think I was born that way, she also mentioned it didn't seem anything in my child hood would make me develop differently.  It hasn't completely sunk in yet and im not sure how I feel about it.   I opted for the brief 2 hour assessment and didn't want to dig a whole lot deeper right now so I don't have all the answers about my struggles but I guess i have the main one.

MY QUESTION TO PEOPLE DIAGNOSED: Im curious about other people diagnosis.  was it something that you were born with or something that you developed into?  is there a difference? do you believe that your just born with it?

Nesf

Congratulations on your diagnosis :) I think that you are born with it, I don't think that you can develop it in later life, although it may take some time for the symptoms to become apparent, often when a child is exposed to more challenging social situations.There is quite a lot of evidence to suggest that it is genetically inherited and often runs in families. In my case, I'm sure that I was born with it, because I had symptoms at a young age.

Pinky and his brain

Congratulations on your diagnosis :)

From my understanding of Autism / Aspergers, you cannot develop Aspergers. It's a permanent condition. And we were all born that way. I have never heard of anyone, claiming that you could develop Autism after being born. It's a disorder, not a decease. You cannot "catch" an autism disorder.

It's an alternative genetic code, that builds your brain in a different way. And that's why you get born with a different way of thinking.

And I specifically don't call it a "genetic defect", because I don't consider aspies to be defective. We are different, but we are not defective. It's simply mother nature playing around, trying to find better genetic solutions. Sometimes it's a good thing, and sometimes it creates trouble. Trial and error, that's how mankind evolved from monkeys to humans. We are simply another test, if it turns out to be an advantage in the long run, then all people will be aspies. If it goes bad, then aspies will no longer exist in the future.

Nature is always trying to evolve. And we cannot, and should not, prevent that.

BDEGRD

the psychologist seemed to be trying to put a positive spin maybe in fear that I would fly off the handle lol.  she emphasized that symptoms can improve with work etc... just wanting me to focus on the diagnosis not being doom and gloom.  she has been practicing for almost 35 years so I guess you have she knows what shes talking about.  im not sure how I feel about it.  it explains a lot.  it gives me a lot to think about.  thanks for the responses.

RiRi

@BDEGRD, congratulations on your diagnosis! :) 

The cause of autism is yet unknown. It's speculated that the cause is both genetic and environmental. ASD/autism is a developmental disorder, which means that it happens during the development of the child, this includes the earlier years. So maybe that's what your psychologist was talking about?

I had read your question yesterday, but I hadn't replied because I thought it was a difficult question to answer, for me. I don't know if I was born with it or if I developed it after I was born. I can think of things that might have caused my autism/exacerbated the symptoms, but I'm not sure. I had a difficult childhood.

BDEGRD
10 minutes ago, Makelets said:

@BDEGRD, congratulations on your diagnosis! :) 

The cause of autism is yet unknown. It's speculated that the cause is both genetic and environmental. ASD/autism is a developmental disorder, which means that it happens during the development of the child, this includes the earlier years. So maybe that's what your psychologist was talking about?

I had read your question yesterday, but I hadn't replied because I thought it was a difficult question to answer, for me. I don't know if I was born with it or if I developed it after I was born. I can think of things that might have caused my autism/exacerbated the symptoms, but I'm not sure. I had a difficult childhood.

sounds like what she was trying to say.  just my thinking has always been that its something that a person is born with but im no expert