• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moll

Diagnosis affecting employability

Moll

Hi, I really want an official diagnosis but my Mum has said it will make getting a job difficult and said I can get private therapy instead without going to the doctors.

I understand what she means, but a diagnosis feels really important to me, it will make everything fall into place and my mum doesn't seem to understand that.

Any advice?

Thanks

Moll

RiRi

You don't have to disclose your diagnosis to your future employers or anyone that you feel shouldn't know. :) I used to worry about this, but was reassured here that the diagnosis is confidential and you choose who you disclose it to. :) I haven't disclosed my diagnosis. You can get your diagnosis for the importance it brings to you, without worrying about it being disclosed to your employers to be. :) 

lifeis

a few jobs like joining the military do require you to disclose in the UK but for most you don't have to. Having a diagnosis may make you eligible for certain types of help and if you want a diagnosis I personally think you should get one, its people who have the diagnosis forced on them and then feel ashamed of it that I think shouldn't get one. As long as you can control who its disclosed to in the place you live then I can't see how it would be negative.

good luck anyway with whatever you decide.

Alice

It sounds like you need the closure a diagnosis gives. As I did. I think it helps to eliminate the confusion and indefinable 'otherness'I felt about myself all my life. I have mostly kept it to myself, but its been worthwhile just for that - sense of everything falling into place, as you say.
Maybe try explain to your mum how important it is to you. As those above have mentioned, you dont need to mention it to your future employers.

Gone home
11 hours ago, Moll said:

Hi, I really want an official diagnosis but my Mum has said it will make getting a job difficult

It may with some, but you are not obliged to disclose it if you don't think it will impair your work. The diagnosis is personal between your GP and you.  ie: I don't declare the my tooth fillings, peculiar likes/dislikes or other minor things which are not relevant.

Some employers in UK are 'positive about disabled people' (google that) and actually guarantee an interview if you declare. These days I think that may be an advantage. I declared it for my current job.

There are also some protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010

Dont fit in on here

Thats true about you dont have to say anything if you think your AS wont cause problems at work

i think some people would need to tell employers about their AS depending on their traits, but if you have traits where its not easily noticed then Think fully if you want to say it or not :)

SeanS

A diagnosis was very important for me too. It sure did help everything fall into place. It was one of the best things to happen to me and I would hate to have had to wait any longer. The diagnosis bought a sense of closure to many confusing and troubling incidents.

I declared my diagnosis at my new job too. My work are very accepting and positive about it!

Sanctuary

I'm not diagnosed so I am speaking hypothetically but do have concerns about AS affecting employability, particularly in terms of looking for jobs. Application forms these days often ask if an applicant feels they have a disability or a psychological condition such as AS. The declaration is supposed to allow an employer to offer support I'm not sure that will happen. Some employers are very enlightened and determined to be supportive but others are not. There is still a lot of ignorance about AS and in some cases straightforward discrimination. I think there's a risk that many employers will see the declaration on an application form and decide against an interview. How could an applicant prove the reason they didn't get an interview was due to discrimination? The same applies for an AS applicant who gets an interview and then doesn't get appointed. Employers can always offer other explanations, e.g. better candidates,  

A diagnosis / declaration may be more helpful for someone already in a job and it could lead to further support although again not all employers will be helpful and it might be difficult to prove they are being unfair. Perhaps it's best to play all this by ear and declare AS if an employer is known to be supportive. It may also be a good idea if work is proving so difficult that not declaring AS will just lead to more problems.

Gone home
On 15/05/2016 at 10:09 AM, Going home said:

Some employers in UK are 'positive about disabled people' (google that) and actually guarantee an interview if you declare.

Having said that I've recent experience of two major employers completely ignoring their publicly professed commitment. There seems plenty of saying the right thing, but not doing the right thing in business.

Sanctuary

I think you're right about this problem Going home. Employers' actions don't always correspond with their words and I'd be more convinced by positive evidence of them employing staff with AS (and not just in junior or temporary positions) or offering support and mentoring programmes.