• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AspieFox

Self doubt and waiting times

AspieFox
25 minutes ago, Going home said:

@AveApollo I'm not certain of the date. I was told May 2016 by the person diagnosing me last year but if you check the link below, scroll down, and it may clarify a little. I expect the term Aspergers will be used outside of formal diagnostics for many tears to come. I was diagnosed ASC, but with reference to aspergers being the previous title.

http://www.autism.org.uk/labels

...perhaps it will be ASC then. I think Asperger's is easier to understand for people in general. When I've mentioned Autism to people, their immediate reactions are to think of the film Rain Man and don't seem to understand that it's a spectrum, but when you say Asperger's they tend to understand that you can appear to be 'normal' so it's just easier for people to get their heads around I think. Plus, saying High Functioning Autism implies that we function highly, when in fact, apart from intellect, we struggle immensely and it undermines the real challenges we face.

I'm really curious to now to see what's going to be put on my report :)

Gone home

@AveApollo I think the person who diagnosed me personally preferred the term condition over disorder, hence ASC. I suspect many will have ASD on their paperwork.

Apart from contacts during the diagnostic process I have never met anyone who has demonstrated any understanding / insight of Apsergers to me - and I work in social care. It all seems highly taboo ... invisible disability = invisible understanding maybe ;). To be fair though, there are plenty things I have no understanding of, so I'll leave the soapbox packed away.:)

AspieFox
3 minutes ago, Going home said:

@AveApollo I think the person who diagnosed me personally preferred the term condition over disorder, hence ASC. I suspect many will have ASD on their paperwork.

Apart from contacts during the diagnostic process I have never met anyone who has demonstrated any understanding / insight of Apsergers to me - and I work in social care. It all seems highly taboo ... invisible disability = invisible understanding maybe ;). To be fair though, there are plenty things I have no understanding of, so I'll leave the soapbox packed away.:)

My own misconception of what Asperger's was, delayed me seeking a possible referral, so I can understand how people don't generally know. Only after some youtube videos of adults who were diagnosed in their late teens, 20's and 30's, did I realise what it was and learnt about it. I hope more and more people will drop the stereotypes and have better understanding (not the invisible type lol!) in the near future.

AspieFox
On 7/19/2016 at 6:31 PM, storm-petrel said:

I hope you have more luck than I have had. I have been waiting nearly a year now for a diagnostic assessment. I know I am top of the waiting list but there is some problem with the funding from my local health authority. Nobody seems to know what the problem is. I go through spells of extreme self doubt and think I am being ridiculous to even consider that I may have AS. Then I have a bad day or three.......It is extremely stressful. Good luck with your assessment whenever it happens.

Did you get the appointment/diagnosis yet? Are you still waiting? @storm-petrel

tystie

@AveApollo Still waiting for information about the funding. I have been at the top of the waiting list since May but there is a problem with the funding and no one can tell me what the problem is. I currently have one of the GPs at my surgery looking into it for me. 

AspieFox

@storm-petrel hope you at least get an update soon. I know the wait can be frustrating. Is it on the NHS?

Update: sorry, just read about the local authority in your previous post.

Seems like I was lucky to only wait 10 months.