• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr-David-Banner

My New European Dating Agency

Dr-David-Banner

By all appearances my new agency is going to be busy. This has been a surprise. The dating site is to be clean cut and serious. No swinging or emphasis on sex although not too prudish. I designed it for Russian speakers and Russian speaking Europeans. The idea is to find friends or a serious partner. I have had to offer a free service but hope to make money on the add ons such as extra publicity and translations. There will be small language courses too and I get students sometimes just phoning me to practice. Times are hard financially so I hope I can make a little money with the idea. The hope is also to work with a few cultural newspapers.

Dr-David-Banner

The link is here but bear in mind it's very early days.
http://thejupiter23.wixsite.com/eastwestdating

Again I should stress it won't be a seedy site. Open minded, yes, but with tact and hopefully a touch of class. That's why I threw in the languages section since I figure a great motivation for learning a language is meeting someone from a different culture.

I have to buy the domain name soon and am not yet sure how much the site will cost per month.

Some of the girls I know said, "Hey, how come there are no men shown on the site?" So, I corrected that.

Will it work? Well, nobody can accuse me of not doing my bit to ease Cold War tensions.

P.S. you will see bits of the original template here and there because it ain't finished yet.

HalfFull

That's great. Well done. You certainly kept that quiet, unless I missed a thread.

Dr-David-Banner

I'm a bit confused now about prices and how to add a domain name.

Wix has about the best reputation for quality, especially in view of the fact I find I can use Cyrillic text with out any problem. Even so, with the current exchange rate as it is you're talking about £75.00 to run the site. This is a fair bit higher than you get if you shop around.

I'm not sure what happens if you just buy the domain name.

I suppose it's a bit like shopping for mobile phone deals.

Anyone know about site prices in general.

Pinky and his brain
21 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

I'm a bit confused now about prices and how to add a domain name.

Wix has about the best reputation for quality, especially in view of the fact I find I can use Cyrillic text with out any problem. Even so, with the current exchange rate as it is you're talking about £75.00 to run the site. This is a fair bit higher than you get if you shop around.

I'm not sure what happens if you just buy the domain name.

I suppose it's a bit like shopping for mobile phone deals.

Anyone know about site prices in general.

Buying the domain name, simply means you own that domain name. But you cannot use it, until you tell the DNS system which IP address is serving your Domain.

So buying a domain usually means paying for both the domain name and the DNS registration. But once you own the domain name, you can transfer the domain to a new host if you like. You are not locked down to a specific hosting company. But switching hosting companies can create some downtime, normally a few hours worst case.

Also remember that the domain name is something you keep paying for. If you stop paying you lose the rights to use it. And then someone else can take the name.

You also have to consider how much traffic is going to be generated on your website, I know it's impossible to know from the beginning, but hosting companies usually have a limit for how much traffic is allowed, before they increase their price. So a dating website with a lot of pictures, can generate a lot of traffic if it gets successful. So make sure you read the small print about data/traffic limits. Some of the cheap hosting services only allow a low amount of traffic, that's how they keep the price down. Those servers will only be suitable for a private hobby website.

Having a website will cost some sort of money every month, so before you start a site, you have to make sure you have a solid plan for how to make an income. Otherwise it will end up being just another bill to pay.

Dr-David-Banner

That's why I may appear to be a bit tight-fisted. I have to pay each month for two boats since one of them didn't sell. It's now more than I can afford. Plus my electronics work isn't commercially self-sustaining which is why I started the dating agency idea. This latter idea seems to be working as I keep getting phone calls from Finland or Latvia and there is interest. It's just I want to take it in small steps. And I have to keep a budget so tight that if there is any way to find a free alternative, just go for it while it's there. I will pass on anything I find out.

Paul

I pay $6.99 a month for my website and $15 a year for my website(domain)name. First you need a name then you register it with a company, then you find a host company and load your content. They have good software for creating sites and handling emails and such. Very easy.

Dr-David-Banner

So far the strategy appears to be good as I find the competition is huge, as I expected. I've been gradually sneaking in publicity wherever I can. I don't know how long it will take to bring in a bit of activity. It's like opening a pie shop on a road full of other pie shops. I.T. commerce is particularly saturated. The funny thing is I now get these spot calls. I had the other day a woman from the Ukraine just phone and chat for 40 minutes. It seems strange how people just get curious.
So it's early days yet. The site isn't even quite finished.

Dr-David-Banner

These women bore me somehow. Great for guys who want routine and normality but I find them too superficial. I will carry on with the site but I feel Japaneses females would relate better. They seem more intelligent and exciting. I haven't found any Russian females so far into art or something offbeat. It all seems a bit home, garden and job stuff.

Dr-David-Banner

So far I am blitzing advertisements. I have done well in Estonia since the Estonian sites allow you to use an address from another country. Plus your mobile number. And you can post a link. The Russian and Siberian sites are more internalised and dislike overseas advertisers using their online resources. So I became an expert already in the proceedures. Very annoying is the anti spam code if there are cyrillic letters but you only have Latin ones. Copy and paste may or may not work. Of course there is a gap now between Russia and the EU in trade so maybe that's part of it. Estonia is easily the best country for advertising online. Nevertheless, nobody is using the site and I may have to change tactics. I have my contact details throughout London and Estonia. I got about 30 calls.