• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Dr-David-Banner

Semi-Skilled Website Builders

Dr-David-Banner

I'm really quite green when it comes to stuff like website building and hosting. I did do some HTML years ago but am a bit rusty. I wanted a basic website as a starting point so I perused the options such as Weebly, Yola, Squarewave and so on. I tried the new editor on Wix and found it much easier than their first editor. I ended up with a website that isn't going to match what a pro could knock out with code, but I had fun with it. Interestingly enough I found ways to use Russian script on the site. So that was a plus. I have read some frank reviews about these site builders but I think they're based on very serious business considerations. Therefore a bit harsh. Naturally a big enterprise is going to prefer a totally independent and developed dot com site. Even so, just to get going and learn a bit about marketing I find the package site builders not so bad. Apparently they are said to struggle to get easily located in Google search engines but I notice the Russians here in the U.K do a lot of texting marketing. It's crude but functional. Other negative comments refer to customer service. This seems to be a problem that's widespread. Anyway I guess my point is if you don't expect too much, packaged sites will enable you to make a website. The upgraded costs (from free to pro) may be higher compared to a coded site I think.

Harrow

I think website builders like Weebly and Yola are generally fine and easy to use if you have a static website. But so far I haven't found any that are good at doing the dynamic stuff. If you have Dreamweaver and are skilled in Dreamweaver you can often build very nice sites with little coding. That might be an option?. With the google search engines just link a lot of things to your site, e.g a Facebook page and a Google Plus Page.  

Dr-David-Banner

I built the site in a library over a few days. I will need a domain name so will have to find out how to do it. Building was pretty easy as you just insert text boxes or images and even hyperlinks are easy to do. I don't think the Java boxes will work unless you upgrade so that may be one of the "prods" to get people to part with their cash. On the net everyone is forced to offer a free service but they will limit it in order to get customers to upgrade. The downside to upgrading was voiced by a few people who struggled over customer service or maybe downtime issues. So I may just try and get a domain name and see if that's doable.

Harrow

From my experience with these free website builders is unless you upgrade they wont let you use your own domain name. So you must just be careful of that  

aspieguy

Those things make your website slow for your users, even if it looks good to you.

Personally the best "website builder" platform is WordPress. You can either install it to your own server (for which there are plenty of fairly easy-to-follow tutorials) or use it for free at wordpress.com. (You can pay extra to install plugins and custom themes, but you can add your own domain for free apart from the cost of registering the domain.) WordPress is fast and makes it easy to manage your content. You also aren't restricted to making your site a blog; you can add "pages" (which don't look like blog posts) and have a single front page with links to other pages, or you can put links in a header or sidebar, or even combine your pages with a separate "blog posts" section.

Dr-David-Banner

I just made a discovery. Ukoz was highly recommended and this site is said to allow domain names without a full upgrade. Also interesting is it is based in Moscow and linked to Mail.ru and I've had a mailru account for years. I found Wix to be excellent but as said above it rounds off at about sixty odd pounds a year. Fine once your site is busy but that will take a while. Ukoz also allows foreign scripts. It may be I'll build my website all over again because times are hard and I try to penny pinch on budget.

aspieguy
40 minutes ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

I just made a discovery. Ukoz was highly recommended and this site is said to allow domain names without a full upgrade. Also interesting is it is based in Moscow and linked to Mail.ru and I've had a mailru account for years. I found Wix to be excellent but as said above it rounds off at about sixty odd pounds a year. Fine once your site is busy but that will take a while. Ukoz also allows foreign scripts. It may be I'll build my website all over again because times are hard and I try to penny pinch on budget.

Personally I wouldn't trust a Russian service that "allows foreign scripts". The problem with the latter is that security software might well block all sites hosted by the service for security reasons.

Pinky and his brain

@Dr-David-Banner You could try to ask @aspiesw. As far as I know, he works with web design professionally. He might be able to give you a few tips.

But you'll have to talk to him yourself, I can't promise anything on his behalf. That wouldn't be nice. :)

Dr-David-Banner

I don't have any problems using Yandex or Mail ru on my Blackberry. I think Ukoz will work in whatever language you choose. However I don't know enough about it yet to judge. I used Russian text on Wix by copy and paste. If I do choose to start again maybe I can just link the Wix site link internal to the New Site so the rather long address won't be so unclassy but more of a subforum. Maybe someone knows what the norm is on a yearly basis for a dotcom.

Dr-David-Banner

I actually got a girlfriend on my own unfinished dating site. For sure she can talk. Once she sets off in Russian on the phone my own conversational role seems to be based around providing punctuation marks. She seems nice but will she adapt to my eccentricities.

Dr-David-Banner

Tried ukoz and not struck by it. Way too much visual effects and also too complicated. Trying to work on slide show pages was annoying. So Wix is the best I found so far. If you want text just drop in a text box, choose font and colour and line it up. To add an image is also simple as well as buttons and hyperlinks. Only customer service bothers me. Yet another company that tries to automate customer interaction and no obvious email.

Dr-David-Banner

A new discovery is Zoho. Reviews suggest it's a drag and drop builder akin to Wix. I don't find that technique at all difficult so I hope to investigate. Now if the review is to be believed Zoho is a totally free website and no upgrade to a premium plan is necessary. You just buy and add any domain name. And customer service is rated highly. I suppose I may come across as tight fisted but I have to be these days. My overheads have surpassed my income by a fair margin. My business philosophy is to minimise outlay because even seasoned businessmen these days struggle to make a profit.. The competition is so saturated if you can function on a near zero budget it's a good start.

Dr-David-Banner

I tried Zoho and it is not as good as Wix in my view or maybe I need to get more used to the editor. It has a reasonably good toolbar and there is a help discussion forum. Domain names and upgrades are pretty affordable. Unlike Wix I wasn't yet able to publish but saved the first HTML page and can view it. It is said customer support is good.

Melanie222

The website builders have been developed for the last few years. I think that it is great as almost everyone can create a website without any special skills. As for the free website builders, of course, there is a possibility to face a limited version, but you can check a chosen builder. Personally I used some of them on http://www.bestfreetemplates.info/builders.php .  Also the usage of them for free allows the beginners to improve their knowledge and skills in web design.