• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Mimo

Ear Plug Recommendations

Mimo

I am looking for recommendations on ear plugs/ear buds. I use them to help reduce loud noises. I have a pair that came with my old phone that works great. I took the ones that came with my new phone to an even yesterday and they did not work at all. I ended up sitting there with my hands over my ears!

Anyways I'm looking for ear buds that are comfortable, and very very affordable. They do not need to be noise canceling just noise reducing. I don't really care about sound quality since I use them to block noise and won't necessarily have them plugged into anything. I prefer wireless or something somewhat inconspicuous. I'd like to be able to have several pairs so I can make some sensory kits to stick in my car or various purses. I left my one good pair in my other bag at home today and was beyond miserable at church!

So which ear buds do you guys like?

• Helpful 1

aspieguy

You could use the ones from your old phone with your new phone.

• Helpful 1

Mimo

yes but I want to get at least one more pair. I take different bags to work than to church and the grocery store and it would be so much easier just to have a pair in each bag. Besides if my only decent pair breaks I'm in trouble.

Edited by Mimo
spelling
  • Helpful 2

Butterfly88

I've tried a lot of different earplugs and I really like Mack's Ear Seals.  They are more comfortable than some other earplugs I have tried.amk-013_1z.jpg

• Helpful 2

aspieguy

@Butterfly88 He/she's not looking for ear plugs that actually block your ears. Often I find those uncomfortable.

A more accurate name for these things would be "ear phones".

• Helpful 1

No Longer Here

I use etymotic earplugs. They reduce noise but allow all frequencies through at a lower volume.  I am atrying a wedding reception atm and am wearing them. They allow me to hear what people are saying despite the loud disco in the background. 

When I want to block noise I use industrial foam earplugs

• Helpful 1

Butterfly88

I sometimes wear 3M Peltor Optime earmuffs (they are made for construction workers)  as well but honestly I find the Mack's earplugs more comfortable.

• Helpful 1

Mimo

I am looking more for ear buds. Mostly because they have dual purpose. I can use them to block out/soften noises and to listen to music if I need too. I do appreciate the advice about the ear plugs too. Never hurts to have a plan b (or c, d,......).

What about for sleeping? I have nights that every little tiny sounds is like bombs going off next to my ears. They startle me silly and I can't settle down to sleep until everyone in the house is asleep  (if my niece is staying over that means 2am or later).

• Helpful 1

Gone home

'Dental impression putty' (ebay) is great for making your own custom fitted plugs. Theses can be carved/shaped/sanded afterwards to eliminate excess material. Youtube has some examples of how to make - sets in minutes and its easier than it looks. Only possible downside is the colour of the putty - I clean them with isopropyl alcohol and tissue - but they are completely washable. (I think they use the same/similar silicon stuff for custom cake/jelly moulds)

If I need to hear something quiet I just push my ear up with a finger - which creates an air gap and lets sound in

Edited by Going home
  • Helpful 2

Hi there

I use foam ear plugs. The usual work type health and safety ones or Muffles Wax Ear plugs. Wax are most comfy but don't last long. Foam is better at reducing sound. 

Always remembet though - constantly sticking stuff in your ear can cause other problems. 

Hope that's helps 

• Helpful 1

Wotan

The Mack's or you could try ear plugs made for going hunting, or out to a shooting range. 

• Helpful 1

Foam plugs work best for me.. the sort you get at work.. In the water - wax earplugs are best.. Muffles available from Boots :)

RiRi

I've tried 3 different type of earplugs (never thought I'd say this) at some point last year I had no idea whatsoever about these things. 

I started with these: 

457382_orig.thumb.jpg.00676c1962626d8de6

^ They reduced noise, but they were too hard in my ear, too uncomfortable.

61gyC0LfemL._SX522_.thumb.jpg.130e21bf90

^ Reduced more noise than the first ones, were comfortable, but a bit too big and that's what was mainly the issue with these. They're also kind of too squishy when you first roll them in to put them inside your ear and that made it harder for me to insert them correctly.

51ob1vPzwpL.thumb.jpg.e40ddb79fdb8b3509f

^ I finally found the best earplugs yet for me. They're not as squishy when you put them in and they're smaller than the green ones, so they're more comfortable for wearing when in bed. They're pretty comfortable and do reduce a lot of noise.

Everyone's different, but hope my reviews helped a little. I'm a medium to large framed female, so that might help you with how the earplugs fit my ears. There are earplugs designed for females, but I have to try those still. They're supposed to reduce less noise. The purple and greens ones I've found at Walmart for about $3 for a 10 pair pack. Don't get ripped off on amazon, they sell the same pack for $7 (that happened to me). 

• Helpful 2

Nesf

If earplugs are too big, you can also try trimming them with a pair of scissors to make them smaller - that's what I do.

Edited by Nesf

RiRi
6 hours ago, Nesf said:

If earplugs are too big, you can also try trimming them with a pair of scissors to make them smaller - that's what I do.

But I've read on the label that they won't cover the intended noise if I do that. :/

Gone home
11 hours ago, Nesf said:

I used to do that so they didn't stick out too much

Edited by Going home
  • Helpful 1

Nesf
On 9/5/2017 at 8:06 PM, AugustGrace said:

But I've read on the label that they won't cover the intended noise if I do that. :/

I only trim them slightly so that they are a more comfortable fit. I haven't noticed any difference to how effective they are.

• Helpful 1

RiRi
5 hours ago, Nesf said:

I only trim them slightly so that they are a more comfortable fit. I haven't noticed any difference to how effective they are.

Oh ok. 

Mimo

My husband has since purchased a couple pairs of noise canceling ear buds from Amazon. They are both helpful. One pair works much better than the others, but tends to hurt my ears after a while. I wore them during a movie at a movie theater last night and had to remove them during the quieter scenes to give my ears a break. I've borrowed my brother's hunting ear muffs (or whatever they are called) and they work great and are more comfortable but I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb when I wear them to places like church. I also started keeping a container of wax ear plugs in some of my bags they work great and are less obvious, they are also great at keeping water out of my ear when swimming!

• Helpful 1