• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nichii

I'm being tested for Irlen's Syndrome

nichii

Have any of you been tested or diagnosed with Irlen's Syndrome? I'm seeing an eye doctor tomorrow and when I get my new lenses, I'm going to see someone who can test me for Irlen's Syndrome. I have eye sensitivities and using colored glasses over my regular glasses has helped reduce my symptoms. They stand out too much however, so I don't wear them in public. I'm going to see if I can get prescription tinted glasses and find out what color can help me the most. Every time I get an updated prescription, I still have vision issues and the eye doctors can't see that there's anything wrong with my eyes. I think tinted glasses can really help me.

Eliza

How wonderful! I have read about the Irlin lenses, but my insurance does not cover them. They are supposed to be great for aspies in helping reduce sensory issues. (In some circumstances, like reading National Geographic magazine--that bright white paper...ug!-- I where my sunglasses; this helps somewhat.)

Mimo

I don't know much about Irlen's Syndrome, but I too was having eye sensitivity issues. The eye doctor I saw a couple of years ago recommended lenses with a special coating called Crizal, and transitions with polarization. They sometimes look very slightly brownish. They have made a world of difference for me. I can see so much better. Grocery shopping used to be super frustrating, the lights and all made me feel so visually disoriented but with these glasses they hardly bother me and I can see all the labels and nutrition facts easily. I love these glasses!

nichii
4 hours ago, Makelets said:

What's Irlen's syndrome @nichii?

It is not an optical problem. It is a problem with the brain’s ability to process visual information. This problem tends to run in families and is not currently identified by standardized educational, psychological, optometric, or medical tests. This problem can manifest itself differently for each individual. Irlen Syndrome is not remediable and is often a lifetime barrier to learning and performance.

SIGNS OF IRLEN SYNDROME
Light Sensitivity
Reading Problems
Headaches and Migraines
Attention and Concentration Problems
Strain and Fatigue
Problems with Depth Perception
Print or Environmental Distortions

Source: http://www.irlensyndrome.org/what-is-irlen-syndrome/

nichii
4 hours ago, Eliza said:

How wonderful! I have read about the Irlin lenses, but my insurance does not cover them. They are supposed to be great for aspies in helping reduce sensory issues. (In some circumstances, like reading National Geographic magazine--that bright white paper...ug!-- I where my sunglasses; this helps somewhat.)

Bright white paper really strains my eyes. White backgrounds on websites do too and even snow does that. Sunglasses are helpful.

4 hours ago, Mimo said:

I don't know much about Irlen's Syndrome, but I too was having eye sensitivity issues. The eye doctor I saw a couple of years ago recommended lenses with a special coating called Crizal, and transitions with polarization. They sometimes look very slightly brownish. They have made a world of difference for me. I can see so much better. Grocery shopping used to be super frustrating, the lights and all made me feel so visually disoriented but with these glasses they hardly bother me and I can see all the labels and nutrition facts easily. I love these glasses!

I know what you mean. Going to any store is difficult because of all the lights. It's too much visual stimulation. I'll have to take a look and those lenses.

Eliza
5 hours ago, Makelets said:

What's Irlen's syndrome @nichii?

I have never heard of that either. I think she meant Irlen lenses. :)

Eliza
1 hour ago, nichii said:

SIGNS OF IRLEN SYNDROME
Light Sensitivity
Reading Problems
Headaches and Migraines
Strain and Fatigue

Good grief I never heard of it being a separate disorder, only that aspies tend to have some of these symptoms. :)

My eyes play funny tricks on me.. especially patterns and dark lines - words etc... 

probably the reason I collect sunglasses. 

Ive never tried Irlen but without doubt certain Oakley Lenses work a treat. 

Violet colours especially :)

7 hours ago, nichii said:

Bright white paper really strains my eyes. White backgrounds on websites do too and even snow does that. Sunglasses are helpful.

I know what you mean. Going to any store is difficult because of all the lights. It's too much visual stimulation. I'll have to take a look and those lenses.

Possibly blue light is bothering you from digital lighting - screens etc. An Persimmon lens is fantastic for this..

I only just realised - that's why I hate going into supermarkets. I can never find anything- it's all jumbled up together ?

Nesf

Blue or white LED lighting bothers me a lot, and certain patterns appear to shimmer and squirm. I have the brightness on my PC monitor turned right down. I don't get disorientated in supermarkets, though.

Soloist
3 hours ago, Nesf said:

Blue or white LED lighting bothers me a lot, and certain patterns appear to shimmer and squirm. I have the brightness on my PC monitor turned right down. I don't get disorientated in supermarkets, though.

My pc monitor has a low blue light setting. It's supposed to be used in the evenings to prevent blue light interfering with sleep patterns but I tend to leave it on all the time and it's fine. On my laptop I've got an application called f.lux which turns down the blue light at sunset (according to your timezone). It leaves a brownish tinge which is more restful than the normal setting.

Eliza
4 hours ago, Spiral said:

Ive never tried Irlen but without doubt certain Oakley Lenses work a treat. 

Violet colours especially :)

Grocery shopping is exhausting, especially places like Walmart where I struggle with the lights and the constant noise. Interesting tips on the different lense types. I will check that out--thanks!

4 hours ago, Nesf said:

I adjusted the lights on my computer a long time ago -- now I know why. :)

Mimo
16 hours ago, nichii said:

SIGNS OF IRLEN SYNDROME
Light Sensitivity
Reading Problems
Headaches and Migraines
Strain and Fatigue

Interesting. I have a lot of those. When I read I tend to skip words and lines quite frequently. I was always getting in trouble in school for this, caused a lot of homework mishaps. And when I read books I often discover halfway through that I must have missed some detail at the beginning. Sometimes I think maybe I'm just impatient and am trying to rush through it. 

I can't find the post to quote it, but someone mentioned the difficulty of shopping at walmart. A new walmart recently opened by my parents house and they are using some sort of natural lighting. Don't get me wrong, I prefer natural light, but inside the store the light seems to change a random switching between different levels of brightness. Sometimes it feels like half the store lights are not working, it's really dim. Then all of the sudden it starts getting brighter. It's miserable. Trying to adjust to the changing light gives me a headache.

nichii
19 hours ago, Nesf said:

Have you tried using f.lux or redshift? They're programs that automatically change the color temperature to a warm tone when it's nighttime. It's easier on my eyes when I use it. I also wear orange tinted glasses when using my computer.

Yeah - you can do a similar thing on the iPhone. Night time mode

Nesf
6 hours ago, nichii said:

Have you tried using f.lux or redshift? They're programs that automatically change the color temperature to a warm tone when it's nighttime. It's easier on my eyes when I use it. I also wear orange tinted glasses when using my computer.

Yes, I used to have f:lux on my old computer and I somehow didn't get round to installing it on the new computer. I should use it, it does help.

AspieFox

I am diagnosed with Iren Syndrome. The optometrist told me that colour overlays are better than glassed because the mechanism in the eye changes over time, so the best colour one year might not be the best colour for you later on etc. I have 3 different colour overlays.

There's a free software you can get for the computer. Google 'colour overlay pc musatcha'.

xudo

I was diagnosed with Irlen syndrome while at university. I was actually being tested for dyslexia and the educational psychologist said I also had Irlen. I was given coloured overlays which were a huge help when studying in the library at my uni, because they had awful florescent lights. I do have a set of smaller overlays to be used when reading a book, but I don't really tend to use them as they're a bit awkward when curled up on the sofa. I find that having the lights dimmed (which they usually are anyway) tends to help to a certain degree.