• Announcements

• Willow

Hello!   03/17/16

Welcome to Asperclick! I'm Willow, the founder and moderator. Have a browse around the site and sign up to talk with our members. I hope you find the site useful
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul Hostler

Sensory Rooms

10 posts in this topic

Years ago I was at a party in a hospice where they had a sensory room with coloured lights and soft music. I went in out of curiosity and immediately felt good and by the end of the evening almost everyone was in there! Does anyone have any thoughts or experience in using coloured lights etc to help calm themselves? I'd like to buy some sensory lights but there are so many kinds I'm not sure where to start.

4 hours ago, Paul Hostler said:

I'd like to buy some sensory lights but there are so many kinds I'm not sure where to start.

In the UK Asda and the like sell led remote controlled bulbs where you can dial in the colour on the remote. We have a stand alone up-lighter behind the TV but the bulb remote doesnt work anymore so its stuck on green. - which suits me :)

The low wattage ones (3watt?) are only good for dim background / ambient lighting

Ebay sell them too

Edited by Going home

I'll look into those, thanks. 

Why was this at a hospice is my only question?

I've been working on creating a space like that for myself. I love swinging and just having kind of a private space so when I saw a papasan chair swing I fell in love with the idea. You use rope and hang a round papasan seat from a hammock chair stand. Then I want to add curtains and of course hang some cute little lights in it. I have the papasan but the stand is really expensive so who knows when I'll be able to finish it. Hiding under the blankets when I want a quiet space gets too hot. And sometimes I need a place to run to, to get away from a situation and just be alone. If I have a dedicated space, my husband won't have to call a search party to find me! It will also be a place for me just to relax and enjoy reading or to decompress when needed.

There are lots of studies on how colors and lighting affects mood and energy levels. But I think you should use whichever ones you are attracted to or help you to feel calm.

Hi David the Witch,   good question! It was a hospice for children, some of whom really enjoyed the room; it calmed them down which helped everyone there.

I've got moodlights in chillout area! Nothing else though, except flat neutral tones and some natural wood fractal pattern. 

My sensory room would ideally be all white, maybe a contrast of grey

I've never seen on, but I've heard of them. It would be nice if they had these rooms everywhere that there are crowds of people. :)

relax and enjoy reading or to decompress when needed.