• Announcements

• Willow

New Design   07/24/17

I hope everyone likes the new style logo and the few changes that I have made. I'm still slowly sorting through a few things behind the scenes, but for the most part, I'm happy with the new look and feel of Asperclick!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr-David-Banner

Russian NT's (weird behaviour)

5 posts in this topic

For the last few days, I've been trying to join some Russia based radio electronics forum. I figured it would be good for me to (1) learn more technical language and (2) explore any business opportunity.
The reaction I got really has me baffled. I found these sites very closed and weird. For example, I joined one and made a polite "hello from England" post. It was in Russian script (I use a toolbar). Within 5 minutes the post was removed from public view and redirected elsewhere. I did get some helpful responses but not on the site.
Other sites just didn't seem to work because the anti spam software codes don't process.
Of course, I am well aware with all the sanctions and unfair attitudes to Russia, there could be resentment and mistrust but we're not all politicians.
Of course, maybe I got mistaken for a spy.

It sounds to me like they are very cliquey and not friendly to outsiders, or very wary of foreigners.

To be honest I think my neurological differences are part of the trigger. Russians seem to react to it more, although I get strong reactions here too. There is also a strange backwardness in Russia that makes it seem strange they had so many great scientists or mathematicians. This goes as far back as Peter The Great who tried to force his country to advance and invite foreign teachers. I am going to continue this experiment although I may have to use a bit of deceit. Maybe pose as a venezolano. Of course, I can understand why Russians withdrew even more. There is a lot of anti Russian feeling in the EU, especially on the borders. And also policy towards Russia has been flawed. They deserve the opportunity to develop the economy and live better. It's an awkward time and I'm a bit of an enigma because apparently the MOD don't even have any UK born interpreters so have to recruit Russians. Not as many people choose Russian language and sometimes I too wonder why I bothered.

@Dr-David-Banner You forget one thing. Most Russians grew up in a system, that was very restrictive towards the people. In the past (maybe still today), having contact to people from other nations, could get you into trouble. Many Russians are still afraid of their government. So keeping a low profile, is often seen as the appropriate reaction, when you're contacted by a foreigner.

80+ years of suppression, does not simply leave the mindset of a people. It'll take several generations before they lose that fear. I don't think the average Russian hates other people. I just think they go by the rule, better to be safe than sorry.

What they've yet to find out is I tend to rise to the challenge and become even more determined to attain the goal. This time I tried just "easing" my way in by making no comment regarding nationality. That just leaves me probably sounding like some sort of robot because I don't speak "real Russian" but "bookish Russian". I tend to process my sentences on a search engine to check the grammar is O.K.. Back in the 1990's we certainly never had that option - just huge dictionaries.
I am now trying to learn all the technical terms such as amplification stages, intermediate frequency and so on. Maybe it's a good idea as there must be very few bilingual English radio techs although plenty of native Russians will have bilingual skills.
Here is a pic from the forum I joined of a typical Soviet radio-receiver.

ocean.jpg