• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Sign in to follow this  
TheTheatreCat

Different reactions to Autism, depending on the person

TheTheatreCat    63
TheTheatreCat

It's been a while, but here we go...

I've just returned from a school trip where I've got a lot closer to many people on it. Leant more about them, really. Anyway, I didn't even know this, but there's this one person in my class who is Autistic. Let's call him Mike. Anyway, he has a bit of an obsession for My Little Pony (admittedly, I did know this, but would never have made any links like some people do because that would be stupid - you can like My Little Pony if you are NT!). Long story short, people are so supportive of him (they know that he has Autism), which is nice, to be honest. They make him feel no different to anyone else in the class.

Now focus on my other friend (although I'm not really friends with Mike, to be honest). Let's call this friend Tom. He is Autistic, and I know this. So does everyone else. Anyway, people bully him really bad. And I've only really noticed this recently. He loves books, but people just mock him about this. He fell down the stairs at school a while back and broke his leg. People just laughed and spread a rumour that he was reading at the time and slipped. Let me tell you, I was there and this was not the case.

Anyway, I just find it infuriating that people claim to be supportive of Autism, saying "we support Mike, don't we?" And then go onto bullying Tom. Is this common or has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Tom doesn't really seem to bothered in the slightest about anything anyone says (which is good) but I can't help feeling bad for him.

• Upvote 1

Heather    1,843
Heather

That is horrible, justifying bullying by saying they are nice to someone else with the same condition.  I can't think of an example personally but I feel that there are probably other cases.  I don't really know what to say but that is not nice of them to bully your friend Tom.

• Upvote 2

Nesf    8,883
Nesf

I really don't understand why they would be supportive of one person, and yet bully another. I assume that they know that "Tom" is also autistic?

I haven't come across this myself, but on the other hand, there is little autism awareness where I live and people don't know what autism is and wouldn't recognise it if they saw it. I have met a couple of people who I thought might be on the spectrum, and reactions to them vary a lot, according to what kind of behaviour they exhibit. They might think that they have a lot of anxiety, they are a bit weird or that they tend to obsess or exaggerate, and might make fun of them for it, or think that they have psychological issues.

• Upvote 2

TheTheatreCat    63
TheTheatreCat
7 hours ago, Nesf said:

I assume that they know that "Tom" is also autistic?

I would think so. Although he has never outright stated so (at least to me), he mentioned to me when I asked what he was doing in PE whilst he had his broken foot, he said he was visiting Room 84 (which I later investigated and found to be the SEN room). I think it is pretty obvious though, should someone know what autism is (and I hope they do, since they keep on making 'jokes' about it). They do make fun of him because he is apparently "weird". In fact the other day I was with him and he sneezed. Someone instantly came up to us and made fun of how he sneezed. I mean, there is no right or wrong way to sneeze! I mean - seriously!

I think it is probably because Tom's autism is much more visible on a day-to-day basis that people bully him. I mean, if I were in a room and knew nothing about them (and had a bit of an understanding of autism), then I would most probably make some sort of assumption (I know that's kind of rude but it's just for the purpose of this 'what if') that he was autistic, and then not Mike.

• Upvote 3

Nesf    8,883
Nesf
1 hour ago, TheTheatreCat said:

They do make fun of him because he is apparently "weird". In fact the other day I was with him and he sneezed. Someone instantly came up to us and made fun of how he sneezed. I mean, there is no right or wrong way to sneeze! I mean - seriously!

It's ridiculous to make fun of the way someone sneezes - it sounds like they are making fun of it just for the sake of it.

• Upvote 2

Gone home    2,182
Gone home
1 hour ago, TheTheatreCat said:

They do make fun of him because he is apparently "weird".

Sound like they are the 'weird' ones

• Upvote 2

TheTheatreCat    63
TheTheatreCat
15 hours ago, Going home said:

Sound like they are the 'weird' ones

Tell me about it... sometimes I honestly think that the aspies at my school are the only ones acting 'normal' (although 'normal' is hard to define).

Gone home    2,182
Gone home
4 hours ago, TheTheatreCat said:

Tell me about it... sometimes I honestly think that the aspies at my school are the only ones acting 'normal' (although 'normal' is hard to define).

Normal is as normal does.

I guess anything we don't understand is filed under weird.

Once we properly understand it,  its normal.

So glad I'm not a school, though the enforced discipline of having to keep my mouth shut was useful

• Upvote 2

DavidTheWitch    110
DavidTheWitch

There is always a popular and unpopular person! Human Nature!

• Upvote 1