• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Squirt

Web Coding

Squirt

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience in coding. 

I'm learn coding atm (just the basics) and I'm really enjoying it. 

Has anyone designed and developed a website if so, how much have you earnt and at what level are you?

How do you go about interacting with potential clients? I struggle immensely with social chat though I can come across very literate via email. Could I possibly communicate with clients purely via email?

Many thanks :)

Catman2016

I am coding two websites for school. I have designed a website for a business, before. I don't feel comfortable telling that information about the money. I interacted with clients by email. I have trouble talking to the client as well. I use Dreamweaver and notepad++ to make websites.

aspieguy

I have some experience with HTML, CSS, and PHP, plus server administration. I've also worked with off-the-shelf packages including WordPress and MediaWiki.

Haven't earned anything from it though. I run an intranet for the family, and play around with stuff for enjoyment.

• Helpful 1

Squirt
On 3 May 2017 at 3:58 PM, Catman2016 said:

I am coding two websites for school. I have designed a website for a business, before. I don't feel comfortable telling that information about the money. I interacted with clients by email. I have trouble talking to the client as well. I use Dreamweaver and notepad++ to make websites.

That's amazing!

Please can you tell me how the whole process works? I've been trying to find out but I have no idea where to start?

• Helpful 1

Catman2016
46 minutes ago, Squirt said:

That's amazing!

Please can you tell me how the whole process works? I've been trying to find out but I have no idea where to start?

@Squirt Thanks. I'm confused about your questiom.

Squirt
10 hours ago, Catman2016 said:

@Squirt Thanks. I'm confused about your questiom.

Sorry, I mean like what software do you use? Do you code everything yourself or do you use basic themes and then edit the coding to fit your specification?

• Helpful 1

Squirt

The reason why I ask is because I'm really enjoying it but I have no idea how to go further? I've tried to reassuring the topic on YouTube ect but ideally some sort of step-by-step guide would be amazing on how to build websites for clients. You know, as like a job. Thankyou :) 

• Helpful 1

Catman2016
13 hours ago, Squirt said:

Sorry, I mean like what software do you use? Do you code everything yourself or do you use basic themes and then edit the coding to fit your specification?

Sorry, I took so long to respond to your question.

I use Notepad++ and Dreamweaver as well. I code with PHP, SQL, and HTML, too. I use basic themes,  or make a parent-child theme as well. I also use a server called the Uniform Server. 

Squirt
1 hour ago, Catman2016 said:

Sorry, I took so long to respond to your question.

I use Notepad++ and Dreamweaver as well. I code with PHP, SQL, and HTML, too. I use basic themes,  or make a parent-child theme as well. I also use a server called the Uniform Server. 

That's ok :)

thankyou so much! You are really talented! :D 

• Helpful 1

Catman2016

@Squirt

Thanks, I got done with my Japanese dream art website on my server.

DavidTheWitch

Could you and I partner up to learn... PM if you think we could!

WabbitSeason
On 5/2/2017 at 11:18 PM, Squirt said:

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience in coding. 

I'm learn coding atm (just the basics) and I'm really enjoying it. 

Has anyone designed and developed a website if so, how much have you earnt and at what level are you?

How do you go about interacting with potential clients? I struggle immensely with social chat though I can come across very literate via email. Could I possibly communicate with clients purely via email?

Many thanks :)

Hey Squirt,

I've programmed over a dozen websites over the years, first as a freelancer, now as a programmer at a web design agency. I say programmed because, as a freelancer, I mostly worked for graphic designers who needed somebody to make their designs into actual websites. I started out in 2009 asking €12.50 an hour, but quickly went up to €20 an hour (pro-level freelancers earned at least €35 an hour back then, so I was cheap :P). I was a freshman computer science student when I started, and had some previous experience doing support for a small hosting venture (voluntarily) and making some websites for fun and one for the church. I am now employed at a college-level job at €15 an hour bruto, with a possible raise to €16.50 an hour in a few months.

As for interacting with clients: the few direct clients I had mostly communicated via email, though one of them I saw in person a half dozen times. The designers communicated via email and by phone. Communication via email seemed to be pretty normal and accepted, though sometimes the phone was preferred for quick answers. I don't know if you could always get away with email only, it depends on the person you're working for. Rush jobs especially tend to make people want to talk instead of type.

On 5/7/2017 at 8:12 PM, Squirt said:

The reason why I ask is because I'm really enjoying it but I have no idea how to go further? I've tried to reassuring the topic on YouTube ect but ideally some sort of step-by-step guide would be amazing on how to build websites for clients. You know, as like a job. Thankyou :) 

The steps you need to take depend on what type of website building you like to do and for which market. You could go design-only and learn Photoshop, or code-only and learn PHP and maybe combine it with WordPress, or go full-service and learn both Photoshop and one or more CMSes and as much coding as you need. If you like coding, working with a graphic designer might be a good fit for you. If you like to design yourself, I've seen a few of my peers succeed by choosing a versatile CMS and using that and their design skills to churn out tens of similarly structured websites. I personally preferred implementing the designs I got from scratch in PHP, mostly because it allowed me to build an exact replica of the functional design without hacking my way through modifying a CMS. The catch was that it almost always took longer than I had expected.

Oh, and if you want to make it a job, two things are important: portfolio and network. If you can show something you have made, it will give potential clients an idea of what you can do. And if you know people who need website building done, you have potential clients. For me, the hosting support volunteer job got me in contact with the first graphic designer to hire my services, namely when I implemented one of his designs for a website of a friend of my dad, and that's when the ball started rolling. Portfolio and network in one :)

Squirt
On 12 May 2017 at 7:21 PM, WabbitSeason said:

Hey Squirt,

I've programmed over a dozen websites over the years, first as a freelancer, now as a programmer at a web design agency. I say programmed because, as a freelancer, I mostly worked for graphic designers who needed somebody to make their designs into actual websites. I started out in 2009 asking €12.50 an hour, but quickly went up to €20 an hour (pro-level freelancers earned at least €35 an hour back then, so I was cheap :P). I was a freshman computer science student when I started, and had some previous experience doing support for a small hosting venture (voluntarily) and making some websites for fun and one for the church. I am now employed at a college-level job at €15 an hour bruto, with a possible raise to €16.50 an hour in a few months.

As for interacting with clients: the few direct clients I had mostly communicated via email, though one of them I saw in person a half dozen times. The designers communicated via email and by phone. Communication via email seemed to be pretty normal and accepted, though sometimes the phone was preferred for quick answers. I don't know if you could always get away with email only, it depends on the person you're working for. Rush jobs especially tend to make people want to talk instead of type.

The steps you need to take depend on what type of website building you like to do and for which market. You could go design-only and learn Photoshop, or code-only and learn PHP and maybe combine it with WordPress, or go full-service and learn both Photoshop and one or more CMSes and as much coding as you need. If you like coding, working with a graphic designer might be a good fit for you. If you like to design yourself, I've seen a few of my peers succeed by choosing a versatile CMS and using that and their design skills to churn out tens of similarly structured websites. I personally preferred implementing the designs I got from scratch in PHP, mostly because it allowed me to build an exact replica of the functional design without hacking my way through modifying a CMS. The catch was that it almost always took longer than I had expected.

Oh, and if you want to make it a job, two things are important: portfolio and network. If you can show something you have made, it will give potential clients an idea of what you can do. And if you know people who need website building done, you have potential clients. For me, the hosting support volunteer job got me in contact with the first graphic designer to hire my services, namely when I implemented one of his designs for a website of a friend of my dad, and that's when the ball started rolling. Portfolio and network in one :)

Oh wow!

firstly, Thankyou so much for all your information and secondly, WELL DONE :D sounds like you really know your stuff!!!

congratulations for becoming so successful :) I'm guessing you're enjoying it? 

As I am getting deeper and deeper into it, I'm noticing that I'm more enjoying the designing side of things rather than the coding itself. I am using a free version of Wordpress atm but it doesn't offer much playing around as you need pro for that. I'm not sure if it's worth paying for the pro version just yet. 

Sorry for getting back to you so late. Asperclick doesn't email me with a notification. 

Thankyou again :D 

• Helpful 1

WabbitSeason
2 hours ago, Squirt said:

congratulations for becoming so successful :) I'm guessing you're enjoying it?

Well, yes and no, it's not without its share of troubles. My autism means that I can't work full-time, and social interaction on the job is both rewarding and a challenge. But on the whole, it's a good place to be. Most of the other programmers have slight autistic traits, which makes it feel more natural to interact with them :)

I am using a free version of Wordpress atm but it doesn't offer much playing around as you need pro for that. I'm not sure if it's worth paying for the pro version just yet.

WordPress is free and open source software, so you shouldn't have to pay anything for it. Are you talking about a specific WordPress theme or plugin, maybe? At any rate, be careful what you pay for when it comes to WordPress-related things. There are often free alternatives.

Sorry for getting back to you so late. Asperclick doesn't email me with a notification.

No worries, I saw the approval of my intro topic 4 days late :D. You can adjust your notification settings globally at http://asperclick.com/notifications/options/ or per-thread with the button on the top right, above "Reply to this topic".

At any rate, feel free to pick my mind on anything web-related. It can be a good working field for people on the spectrum, and I'd love to help fellow aspies find a place there if I can.

• Helpful 1

aspieguy
34 minutes ago, WabbitSeason said:

WordPress is free and open source software, so you shouldn't have to pay anything for it.

I think they're talking about wordpress.com, which offers additional customisation and analytics tools if you pay.

WabbitSeason
51 minutes ago, aspieguy said:

I think they're talking about wordpress.com, which offers additional customisation and analytics tools if you pay.

Ah, of course, you've probably hit it on the head right there! I didn't even think of that, I'm so used to hosting my own instances :lol:. At any rate, you can experiment away with the full version of WordPress if you install a local development server, like XAMPP for example, and install WordPress on that (guide). Though if you're not familiar with the process, it might be a bit daunting. There are also many web hosting companies who offer 1-click installs of WordPress, which is a lot easier. There is probably even some free hosting that offers it, though it might include ads on your site and/or go down at any moment. It's alright for experimenting around, but don't use it for anything serious.

Squirt
On 14 May 2017 at 5:58 PM, aspieguy said:

Hiya, yes sorry I was on about Wordpress.com :)

Squirt
On 14 May 2017 at 5:23 PM, WabbitSeason said:

Well, yes and no, it's not without its share of troubles. My autism means that I can't work full-time, and social interaction on the job is both rewarding and a challenge. But on the whole, it's a good place to be. Most of the other programmers have slight autistic traits, which makes it feel more natural to interact with them :)

WordPress is free and open source software, so you shouldn't have to pay anything for it. Are you talking about a specific WordPress theme or plugin, maybe? At any rate, be careful what you pay for when it comes to WordPress-related things. There are often free alternatives.

No worries, I saw the approval of my intro topic 4 days late :D. You can adjust your notification settings globally at http://asperclick.com/notifications/options/ or per-thread with the button on the top right, above "Reply to this topic".

At any rate, feel free to pick my mind on anything web-related. It can be a good working field for people on the spectrum, and I'd love to help fellow aspies find a place there if I can.

Hiya again,

all I can say to that is wow! And Thankyou very much for your information. It's definitely something I am still interested in and I shall most definitely be asking you more questions if you don't of course. 

Thankyou very much again :D