• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
fairytattgirl

Diagnosis Process

fairytattgirl

Does a parent or caregiver need to be present during your assessment. Im asking because my Dad wont say much and I know my Mum will break down over the embarassing things I did and the hell I went through (she did the last time they thought I was autistic). I have enough evidence through school reports, old photos etc. I think its best to not put my family through that until Im diagnosed. I know it will bring relief as my mum blames a bad forceps delivery when I know now if it was that id be more than just unco and not tick all the aspie boxes

Nesf

It depends on the clinician - some need to talk to parents or family members, sometimes they talk to a partner or a sibling, but they need to establish that the symptoms started at an early age for the diagnosis so usually they do want to talk to family members. I would tall the the clinician or clinicians doing the assessment about it, if possible.

• Helpful 1

Juniper

I agree with what @Nesf said. I think it depends on your age too. When my daughter was diagnosed we had to have multiple meetings over 9 months, she was observed at school and went through the Ados procedure before they gave her the ASD diagnosis. They were very thorough which I think is a good thing to avoid a misdiagnosis. For myself I'm 49, they said it would be very helpful if a parent could attend but not essential. The reason was as Nesf said, to be able to clearly ascertain wether symptoms were there from early childhood onwards, or not. My mother went and was interviewed without me for around an hour. 

• Helpful 1