• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Dr-David-Banner

Dead End Jobs

Dr-David-Banner

I read through the reviews of those who worked at CEX. I was curious as whenever I go in, there are usually new staff. They got the odd positive review but at least 75 per cent of the feedback was grim. Favouritism, zero hour contracts, bad management and rude customers. I enjoy going to such places to shop but I'd sure hate to work there.
I call these "survival jobs" and the one qualification you need there to stay employed is to be NT. I honestly wouldn't have a clue as it's the "fitting in" that throws me.
My login is Dr David Banner which I chose ages ago for simple reasons. In the series of The Incredible Hulk, Dr Banner is always shown working in some dead end job. Every time he metamorphisises, it forces him to move upstate and find some job. These range from cafe worker, school gardener, hospital porter, car-washer, amusement arcade repairman and zookeeper. His one advantage is he seems to be able to adapt to these jobs, till someone upsets him enough to transform.
One of my friends does OK in a normal shop job. She's even shown me all these tasks like stocking shelves, wrapping papers, bagging stuff and so on. Yet for me the hard part is the stuff they say like, "There you are, duck! That's 5.20, shug!" Every time I think H-T-F do they know how to appear so normal? I've tried in the past to copy this stuff but everytime I somehow get detected (just like Dr Banner). Meantime, same as Banner I study sciences, magnetic waveforms and modulation systems. Yet all the time to survive society demands you do these survival jobs where "personality" and "being accepted" are the main criteria. It's always been very scary.

Gone home
44 minutes ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

In the series of The Incredible Hulk, Dr Banner is always shown working in some dead end job. Every time he metamorphisises, it forces him to move upstate and find some job. These range from cafe worker, school gardener, hospital porter, car-washer, amusement arcade repairman and zookeeper. His one advantage is he seems to be able to adapt to these jobs, till someone upsets him enough to transform.

Sounds familiar ...

Nesf

Yes, this is why I now work for myself and not for other people. each work situation has its own rules, dynamics and culture, and I can't tune in to this and fit in. Also, people bond through humour, especially banter, and I can't master this at all. People think I'm boring and humourless, which is not true - I do have a sense of humour, it's just not like theirs.

Edit: when I was younger I had frequent job changes because things kept going wrong - either I got fired, or I left because I couldn't cope with some aspect of the job, or I got burnt out. Peer groups at work often have a gang mentality; if they sense that someone is different, they will work together to push that person out. In uniting against someone, they reinforce their standing in the group and the bonds between the members. Its power politics, evil, conniving, manipulative behaviour. I have been the victim of this a few times.

Edited by Nesf
  • Helpful 1

Gone home
1 hour ago, Nesf said:

. Peer groups at work often have a gang mentality; if they sense that someone is different, they will work together to push that person out. In uniting against someone, they reinforce their standing in the group and the bonds between the members. Its power politics, evil, conniving, manipulative behaviour. I have been the victim of this a few times.

So very true sadly ...

Dr-David-Banner

" if they sense that someone is different, they will work together to push that person out."

Last night I chanced upon an excellent article written by an informed blogger. It got 60 comments. He stated that western society is stagnating and regressing because working and academic environments won't tolerate deviation from normality. He claims the process started by the end of the eighties. The blogger stressed that social interaction at work has become the most valued attribute, as opposed to functionality. His other scathing point I've personally witnessed. Mediocre, superficial conformists and yes-men get promoted into management on basis of social skills and charm. Talented thinkers or inventive individuals are shunned. The big question I asked is if the world really is regressing. It's true to say we have satellite and internet which spreads information much faster. Yet the blogger makes the point the Teslas and Einsteins of yesterday wouldn't be employed today in their field. So, despite lots of gradual advancements in IT since 1995, my own view is there's not anything radical going on. I do know the mainly German scientists who helped create the Apollo Lunar landings have no equivalents today. That technology is now lost. You can see also budgets are geared to war and military objectives so far less money going into the sciences. Meantime, here where I live employment revolves around routine tasks and fitting in.

• Helpful 1

Dr-David-Banner

Quote:
"(ie. you can’t be a real polymath) and without that knowledge, in one person, not spread out through a team, many connections cannot be made and when they can, the process is vastly slower. (Aka. no, you can’t look it up.)"

I think above he refers to "associative horizon". The technical people I meet on forums seem to lack this totally. They studied electronics at advanced level for decades and they can be very skilled. Yet at the end of the day they are all treading an already trodden path. For example, Tesla spoke 11 languages fluently. I never encountered any engineers with diverse fields of interest - the result being they tend to not tolerate deviation from the accepted practice. Last night I discovered an American radio engineer who was slammed by other engineers as "an uneducated tinkerer" had been right all along. I watched this guy's YouTube videos ages ago and it seemed clear to me he was both serious and motivated. He'd apparently worked on aircraft engines and learned radio engineering in the air force decades ago. Based on that, I'd be very wary of ever denouncing someone as wrong as this guy knew his field (even though he was self taught). I may even quote from my 1960 Ham textbooks to defend this individual on Amazon where he got bad feedback. Anyway, the blogger's point above. No team will substitute one Tesla. Namely because the stringing together of multiple comparisons of phenomena by association is an individual skill. All the great scientists had this associative skill and it's not a team effort. Great blog I thought.

Nesf
2 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

He claims the process started by the end of the eighties.

This is no coincidence. At around the time of the beginning of the 80s, self image began to be extremely important. People felt the need to fit in with a certain image, by displaying certain behaviours, wearing certain clothes, liking certain kinds of music, fashion, etc. People aspire to one of these images, or want to associate themselves with it, to belong to a tribe, one of the herd, and if you have other ideas and don't want to do that, you are seen as deviant, weird. Personally, I dress for comfort, don't wear makeup, have no tattoos and do the things I like. I've never been concerned with my public image or with creating an image for myself. I'm not interested in these things, but the vast majority of people are.

• Helpful 2

Dr-David-Banner

It's similar for me except the gap between myself and NT's is so huge, I dress really badly. Odd socks and string instead of a belt. As you stated people ignore you, for me that factor is so acute I don't bother how I look. Sometimes I think people are just flat boring. Actually, I had a very brief conversation with a young woman today whom I shocked after she caused me to laugh out loud. She told me that some of the workers had "bent over backwards" to help her out in a time of crisis. I still have a certain sense of humour and was reduced to laughter. In the end I explained to her the term "bend over backwards" was sort of open to a literal interpretation. I don't think she shared the humour.

Nesf
10 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

She told me that some of the workers had "bent over backwards" to help her out in a time of crisis. I still have a certain sense of humour and was reduced to laughter. In the end I explained to her the term "bend over backwards" was sort of open to a literal interpretation.

Lol! That's exactly the sort of thing I find funny.

Dr-David-Banner

I was surprised. She was upset and angry today as there was some delay with work that was being done for her. So, I calmed her down and told her not to worry and suggested the mess would resolve itself. Eventually it did do. So we got into a lengthy chat, sharing stories and jokes. She winded up helping me with some drilling I was doing so, on a basic level, we got on OK. I must confess she has a very sexy shape with plenty of curves. Years ago, that would have made me painfully shy but nowadays I find females much easier to chat to.
The other turn of phrase that cracked me up was when a friend told me she'd slept poorly as she'd been "tossing and turning all night." She couldn't see what she'd said that was so funny.

Nesf
2 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

The other turn of phrase that cracked me up was when a friend told me she'd slept poorly as she'd been "tossing and turning all night." She couldn't see what she'd said that was so funny.

Perhaps she means it literally - I always thought that this expression had a literal meaning.

Dr-David-Banner

I looked to see if "to bend over backwards" had a Latin equivalent. It remains untranslated. If you literally translated the action, it would have been understood as some acrobatics. Therefore, I guess you'd have to find something like "go to great lengths" but then the drama would be lost.
Back on topic, when I was younger I had lots of jobs. Working rights were far better and I would still be employed today if the factories were still running. It's hard to believe how standards dropped. For example a factory manager would have been some aloof type in a suit and very respected. Now managers tend to be rude, low skilled favourites who couldn't run a piss up in a brewery. I am way past being able to tolerate taking orders off such people. My last experience would have fitted in with a Dickensian sweat shop, in fact. I once got a job in a hotel which wouldn't have been so bad but I couldn't recognise faces. I was giving keys out then failing to identify who'd received them. I did manage to hold down a job in a nightclub in the 1990's.

Gone home
8 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

It's hard to believe how standards dropped. For example a factory manager would have been some aloof type in a suit and very respected. Now managers tend to be rude, low skilled favourites who couldn't run a piss up in a brewery. I am way past being able to tolerate taking orders off such people.

I think its probably always been so to some degree.

Its harder to quietly conform as we get more experienced and lose our ignorance

HalfFull

I'm not about to go into any details on a public site, but after almost 12 years in the same organisation, I'm now well and truly dealing with things having to be done the way the manager wants, more so than in previous teams. This last month has been a really difficult time, but I'm currently in a redeployment search situation to change teams giving me a better chance of changing teams.

I saw an article recently that staff at one US supermarket have been frogmarched through the store by police on being sacked usually due to suspected theft, in at least one case of worktime, ie, they didn't know that breaks were not on work time. I think for the lesser demeanours, the handcuffs were removed outside though.

DavidTheWitch

Is being an artist a dead end job cause it seems like it?

Dr-David-Banner

Something going on I really shouldn't be poking fun at. I have been accused of making a nuisance of myself on electronics forums. The main objection is my use of old American textbooks and American terminology. I use these as technology in the USA in the sixties was at a peak, so the standards were high. Anyway, there are calls for me to be kicked off the forum for not using books recommended by others. The thread diverted from technical matters to a discussion about yours truly. I found the following actually funny so I quote the bit where a comparison was made;

"The class was often disrupted and eventually he got put out as we all were losing ground with this person. Teaching is hard enough as it is without different opinions or manners of explaining things. "

It's hard to say if I will be kicked out. I very politely tried to point out the time wasted in criticisms of American textbooks could be better spent learning the terminology. It usually takes me 5 minutes to trace an unknown term online.
Actually, you can see here why I stressed the point about employment. That forum has well-educated members so you can imagine how worse it gets in an actual job. As NESF stated people sort of knit together in solidarity and try to eject anyone different who seems non conformist. I am so used to it I tend not to get angry online and, really, should I ever be banned it wouldn't stop me in my tracks. Plus I have my own site.
Generally even some NT's have experienced intolerance in amateur radio communities because many of the engineers are older and a bit rigid.

Dr-David-Banner

One day I ought to do a study of NT's. The bottom line is either they collectively succeed or they collectively fail. Success or failure is a group dynamic. I believe the way it works is NT's survive by always being able to relate to each other. Example, where I live, to prosper you need to be a bit docile, non-threatening, physically hard-working and slavishly devoted to systems and hierarchies. Those of us who deviate from the current general standard will find employment harder. Society is now functioning at a far lower level than 2 decades ago. Therefore, to adapt is a step down in terms of survival. One place I noticed dramatic changes is at my old college. Years ago it had really good teachers and "A" level courses in English Lit or languages. Today the teachers tend to be fly-by-night temps. And most of the courses are IT related.
You could argue in many countries NT's are in crisis. They created a system that excludes different ways of thinking. They have economic problems that never would have existed if the impact of IT and global trade had been predicted and addressed. NT's can't solve so many issues as they're too divided in opinion to come up with fixed solutions. The amazing thing is those of us who are controlled by money and housing to survive are forced into a bankrupt system as statistics. This raises the question about self sufficiency and independence.