• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Dr-David-Banner

Old Hag Returns

Dr-David-Banner

At 3.30 in the early morning, my phone rang. I am nocturnally active so I answered quickly. It was a friend and she was upset. She'd had her first old hag experience. Medics call it sleep paralysis. I rarely have these attacks but did have a very bad one many weeks ago. Classic old hag encounter is you're sleeping and sense a sinister, malignant presence in the room. You can't wake up to try and take action. Old hag was sometimes drawn as a succubus.
I suffered this experience many times but I know the triggers and don't get it if my emotions are balanced. Recently I read the work Budd Hopkins did may have been sleep paralysis induced.

DavidTheWitch

If you concentrate on moving a small part of your body you´ll break the paralysis and wake up if you focus hard enough.

• Helpful 1

Dr-David-Banner

As I recall, my main effort last time was to make a vocal sound. I then winded up on the floor and badly shaken (as well as severe leg cramp). I texted my friend and told her what had happened. Then just days ago, it was her turn to text me so funny she had an attack of her own.
I have had these experiences for years and they are triggered by being exposed to negative, hostile emotions. So, I know if I'm at a distance from negativity I won't get any episode.
Apart from that and the sheer terror of the phenomenon (my friend decided to leave her light on), I have this very strong scientific curiosity for the paranormal. I get very angry with myself for being afraid of the dark and the unknown. Where something happens that seems strange, I feel I need to look for answers as well. Psychologists talk of sleep paralysis and parapsychologists think there may be a paranormal element. Some claim to have used EVP to actually record night-hag and similar phenomena.
What I can say is 99 per cent of people will run a hundred yards from you if you delve into scary, paranormal material. Yet I think science covers the whole paranormal sphere. Really scary stuff like UFO's and hypnotic regression interests me and maybe over-rides the terror of the experience. After all, cavemen feared the dark and the elements just as we fear space travel.

DavidTheWitch

I long for outer space myself!

Alice

I have experienced sleep paralysis before. For me, it is a feeling like waking from a nightmare that lingers. It is like there is a presence, and I am trying to fight, and force myself to move and awaken properly - force my eyes open or move my arms. But I cant move - Im entirely heavy and frozen. Its the strangest experience.

I think its very natural for the human psyche to fill the unknown/dark with the mythical. Its why children imagine monsters under the bed, and frightening shapes in the wardrobe at night. I think there is a lot to be said for the deep preference of the subconscious for the known - as opposed to void, empty, darkness - its why we dream, to not have disappeared or entered nothingness in our sleep - the mind produces endless creative stories to keep us occusied - humans are so afraid of non-existance and unknowns, and meaninglessness. Giving the darkness a face makes it faceable. Giving causation to dark feelings of foreboding, terror or evil is reassuring, because at least its 'known' -and finite. 

In ancient times people firmly believed volcanos were gods angry, and would make sacrifices to hopefully appease them, personally I think its probably better to just get the hell out of there.

This is just my take on it. 

To go even further, I would say we create proof for what we already believe or expect. Just like in quantum mechanics how matter behaves either like a wave or particle, depending on what you expect. Given all the conspiracy theories, ghost, UFO, extraterrestrial, demonic, paranormal, cults, crop circle, govt, new age, religious, shamanic experiences, and 'proofs' people have obtained and are genuinely convinced by - this world could not contain them all together, I really believe the proofs are created by our wonderfully creative minds - which does govern all of our perception and personal reality, and has a self-fulfilling/bias-confirming bent - and quantum mechanics is uncovering just how personal reality can be.. So if the story/interpretation helps with the experience, keep it. If it creates further fear, get rid of it.

I would rather take reality as it is, sans as many illusions as possible

• Helpful 1

Gone home

Not something that happens regularly but I have certainly experienced this. Whether its a conscious mind realising I am asleep or me dreaming of being asleep I don't know ... the outcome is always the same ... panic attack! :D

Dr-David-Banner

Around the 1980's a new investigation started with the old hag phenomenon interpreted as extraterrestrial intervention. Back then, people used libraries a lot so I would find these books on the shelves. The books put forward the following: Subject of nightmares is hypnotised. Under hypnosis emerge memories of being frozen in sleep and somehow floated to a strange location. Sometimes a medical proceedure is recalled and large eyed ET "beings". So, what in mediaeval times was judged to be sorcery, becomes UFO terrain. The writer Whitley Streiber hit the big time with his book Communion, based on his nocturnal encounters with "the visitors". They made a film on the book. Suffice it to say, I got highly irritated when this guy wrote a couple of follow-ups. In one he claimed he'd lived as another incarnation as (wait for it) a right-hand man of the Roman emperor. Not a baker or pimp or has-been role but a sublime role in the heart of empire. Cobblers! I was surprised the media didn't pounce as, to me, that discredited Streiber as a fantasist. Yet we all swallowed Communion as a serious book and finally a cinema movie.
Despite that, my opinion is there is something about the old hag or night hag phenomenon that is genuinely strange. We interpret the experience through cultural perspectives so in an age of Star Trek and Blue Book, old hags become "visitors". Possibly housewives who suffered severe attacks wind up under quack investigators. Under hypnosis they are maybe led into suitable ET contact scenarios recorded on tapes.
From past experience I caution against American so-called investigators and researchers. As many have been exposed as there are also fake evangelicals who claimed to have been visited by Jesus. I think the stories of nocturnal greys with huge eyes have finally fallen out of fashion so we're back to the original old hag. Now the very scary bit. I will repeat my experience of some weeks ago as it was the first time I'd been physically harmed.
I was asleep but had been disturbed by incidents during the week. I dreamed some personality had come through the door. I figured the figure was female and full of malice and ill-will. In my sleep I felt an urgent need to move or do something to make the figure realise I was aware but I couldn't budge. I tried to make some noise to scare it off. I could feel the figure coming closer. At the very point of a pair of hands drawing close to my neck, I suddenly took a real-life blow to the head. I looked up in shock and was lying on the floor on my back. Clearly I'd literally jumped in my sleep and tumbled off the bed. Yet it created the illusion of genuinely having been attacked. I was so alarmed I texted my friend at 4.00 am. Only a week ago she texted me so afraid she said she was going to leave on a night light. She said she felt it was an evil spirit. So that's two of us to date. I guess I'm not scared as I figure it only happens to me when I've been around strong negativity.

Nesf

Why is this phenomenon called 'old hag'? I've had night terrors before, but they didn't have anything to do with old hags. It seems a really strange thing to call it.

• Helpful 1

Alice
On 7/17/2017 at 2:09 PM, Dr-David-Banner said:

Classic old hag encounter is you're sleeping and sense a sinister, malignant presence in the room. You can't wake up to try and take action. Old hag was sometimes drawn as a succubus.

@Nesf I figured it was a myth

Edit adding: google provides - "The night hag is a generic name for a fantastical creature from the folklore of various peoples which is used to explain the phenomenon of sleep paralysis. A common description is that a person feels a presence of a supernatural malevolent being which immobilizes the person as if sitting on his/her chest."

Edited by Alice
  • Helpful 1

Alice

So weird. Currently watching 

but its night so may not finish it - I dont want to push my luck, but this is such a strange phenomenon. 
I dont like that they title it 'the entity' from the outset, because I just think the more people believe in it, the more fear inducing it is. But they do go into some better explanations.
That people have such similar experiences throughout time is bizarre, but Jung has talked about the 'collective unconscious' and many different archetypes that are natural to the human psyche, and natural things to fear in nightmares, like being chased, falling, demons are a persistant archetype throughout time.. but interesting that it is only this certain type of nightmare that has a habit of continuing when people are not fully awake/something has gone wrong with waking up

• Helpful 1

Nesf

I have experienced something like this, but without the paralysis. And only briefly, before I fully woke up.

Dr-David-Banner

From what I read, opinion is split as to whether the night hag is simply a nightmare or a paranormal experience. What I do know is the trigger for me is sensed negativity. I've always found I often meet people who become envious or jealous for reasons I can't fathom. Once I was sharing a house with someone who gave off certain feelings of resentment and jealousy and I was picking it up. When I fell asleep that night, the old hag syndrome was triggered. I dreamed I was fast asleep but could hear this person had risen to go to the bathroom. Then I heard footsteps and was feeling something wasn't right and an onset of unease. The footsteps then ceased at my door so then I was filled with alarm and an urgent need to wake up. I could feel pure hatred towards me and malice as if the person who'd gone to the bathroom was plotting his next move. I put all my efforts into trying to make a noise or show I was waking up but with OHS you can't shake off the deep sleep. I then sort of dreamed I was shouting out, except little did I know, I'd had success. The following morning I found others in the house had been raised in the dead of night by a blood curdling, "Noooooo! Get Awaaay!!" This had caused them to bolt their doors and every night after that.
It's very typical of the Night Hag to become someone you know personally. I will make one comment though. The malice that caused the attack was real. I mean, I don't simply imagine resentment or jealousy. In cases where I sense it, later it's been shown what I'd picked up was genuine (ie via a third party or subsequent disclosure).
Spooky isn't it? Is the old hag a projection of negativity created in a dream to represent the ill-feeling? Or is the old hag an actual entity that feeds on negativity like a parasite? Why also did my friend get an attack when she'd never had one before? I did ask her to tell me exactly what had happened but she won't say.

Dr-David-Banner

"The brain reacts to the paralysis by expanding the pupils, making a darkened room look as bright as day, and is often associated with terrifying visions such as intruders. In ancient times these were interpreted as visitations by angels, but in contemporary western culture the angels have been substituted by aliens "
While on the topic of things that go bump in the night, only once in my life did I see an apparition. This happened in broad daylight. I was at work back then around 2005. It was a bank holiday and I'd been told no employees would be in to work. Gates were locked. I was walking back to the canteen and from a distance saw clearly a man in overalls. He was standing there looking at the canteen building and it just came into my head this was someone remembering. Also I was feeling he was thinking how things had changed. I then made a call to say someone was at work but was told nobody should be there. I turned a bend, lost sight of the man for 10 seconds and then he'd gone. Then I saw the gate was locked. No car. I started to check the fence but nothing. Not a trace. And yet what I saw was a solid person who looked totally normal. Like most psychic experiences it happened before I had any chance to even guess it was not normal.

Dr-David-Banner

My friend phoned last night and I asked her about her Night Hag experience. For her it seemed to be the classic encounter of being unable to move and being sat on. She said she could feel the weight on her.
My own Night Hag encounters are more of a presence.
I looked up "night hag" in Russian but the term brings up the phenomenon of the WW2 female pilots who flew plywood planes at night to attack invading German bombers. The Germans called them the night hags.

Kroge
On 21/07/2017 at 2:35 AM, Dr-David-Banner said:

From what I read, opinion is split as to whether the night hag is simply a nightmare or a paranormal experience. What I do know is the trigger for me is sensed negativity. I've always found I often meet people who become envious or jealous for reasons I can't fathom. Once I was sharing a house with someone who gave off certain feelings of resentment and jealousy and I was picking it up. When I fell asleep that night, the old hag syndrome was triggered. I dreamed I was fast asleep but could hear this person had risen to go to the bathroom. Then I heard footsteps and was feeling something wasn't right and an onset of unease. The footsteps then ceased at my door so then I was filled with alarm and an urgent need to wake up. I could feel pure hatred towards me and malice as if the person who'd gone to the bathroom was plotting his next move. I put all my efforts into trying to make a noise or show I was waking up but with OHS you can't shake off the deep sleep. I then sort of dreamed I was shouting out, except little did I know, I'd had success. The following morning I found others in the house had been raised in the dead of night by a blood curdling, "Noooooo! Get Awaaay!!" This had caused them to bolt their doors and every night after that.
It's very typical of the Night Hag to become someone you know personally. I will make one comment though. The malice that caused the attack was real. I mean, I don't simply imagine resentment or jealousy. In cases where I sense it, later it's been shown what I'd picked up was genuine (ie via a third party or subsequent disclosure).
Spooky isn't it? Is the old hag a projection of negativity created in a dream to represent the ill-feeling? Or is the old hag an actual entity that feeds on negativity like a parasite? Why also did my friend get an attack when she'd never had one before? I did ask her to tell me exactly what had happened but she won't say.

It could be considered something between a nightmare and a "paranormal" experience. I'll explain by talking about my own experiences with sleep paralysis:

I have experienced it for many years. I do not fear it at all - in fact I enjoy it, even when it's terrifying. This is simply because I'm familiar with the basic mechanics of it.

I have always induced sleep paralysis as a result of my intent to produce out of body experiences. Sleep paralysis is the transition from waking to sleeping - therefore it is the transition from waking to the out-of-body state. It's a fairly meditative process but, because it is such a natural thing, many many people experience it accidentally, most commonly and notably through near-death experiences.

States of extreme anxiety can trigger sleep paralysis because the level of anxiety is enough to make you uneasy whilst sleeping. So a large part of your conscious attention, which would normally be resting, is still active because of the anxiety.

OBE's are triggered, either consciously or subconsciously, by a "mind awake - body asleep" state. It is a state in the Theta range of brainwaves. Anxiety is a state in the Beta range of brainwaves, and sleeping is ideally in the Delta range. What people call "paranormal" experiences such as ESP, OBE's, remote viewing, etc. are in the Theta range. So it would make sense that anxiety (Beta) is pulling you up from deep sleep (Delta) right into the OBE state (Theta). Sleep paralysis is the very cusp of the OBE state.

Because it is a state of semi-sleep, your mind can project its thoughts much like in a dream. And if you're anxious, then you're definitely going to be projecting fearful thoughts onto your surroundings. To clarify, you are projecting a subjective image onto an objective image. The fact that it is a real semi-OBE experience is objective - the aspects which involve malignant presences, entities, shadow people, voices, etc. are a subconsciously-generated projection. In theory, they can be real, but I would personally say from my 10 years of research that 99% of the time, these things are not objective entities, they are always subconsciously-generated fears. This is how life works no matter where you are or what state of consciousness you're in - the mind can project anything onto the "external" world, the thing that makes sleep paralysis or OBE's so disturbing to most people is how fast and intense the thought projection is, this is something that most people just aren't used to. We aren't used to experiencing our thoughts mirror back at us in such a profound way. It takes getting used to. Recall the book (or film) "Sphere" by Michael Crichton.

David, I think what you specifically are describing is some kind of hyper-empathic response which triggers your latent fears about hostility, thereby producing your specific Old Hag. So it's both an internal and externally-generated phenomena. Real malice + real fear = Old Hag.

Because of my experience from the get-go I don't find sleep paralysis something to dread, at all. I'm always surprised that others do find it so unpleasant. Then again, I've always seen it as the means to get to a very positive end.

Edited by Kroge
  • Helpful 1

Dr-David-Banner

"The aspects which involve malignant presences, entities, shadow people, voices, etc."
As I mentioned earlier, the book "Communion" made a huge impact in the 1980's. Then the books like "Missing Time" by Budd Hopkins really started a whole new cultural interest in "the greys". These weren't old hags but "visitors". Then when Budd Hopkins started using hypnosis on his traumatised patients, we got these "recollected" testimonies of alien abductions. This is strange because the physical abductions from cars or fields in the sixties suddenly become bedroom encounters in the eighties. Needless to say, I am very skeptical because Whitney Streiber strikes me as untrustworthy and Budd Hopkins credibility was later damaged. Possibly Streiber had suffered old hag syndrome and decided to turn the whole thing into a "what if?" Imaginative novel. He was already a known writer of fiction so maybe "Communion" made him big profits.
The movie made based on the book apparently was a box office flop.
As for my experiences, they are now very uncommon. As I said, they seem to be triggered by my having been around someone resentful, jealous and envious. If I sleep the night in a house, shared by someone who I sensed is jealous or bitter, the Old Hag is more certain to attack my sleep. And then it does get very scary. It's always a case of me half-waking up and hearing footsteps outside my door. I will then sense this person has gone to the bathroom but fear suddenly the individual will notice my door and know I'm asleep. Then I hear the steps stop at my door. That's the point where I'm drawing on all my resources to shake off the sleep. It's like, "You've got to wake up! There's danger!" The point then when the door opens and the figure is just looking at me asleep with hatred and envy is the tipping point. I once let out an awesome scream that put the fear of God into all who shared the house. Yet in my dream I thought the bit where I screamed was still a dream. Yet whispers and comments overheard downstairs in the morning assured me otherwise: "Did you hear that din last night?" "It woke me up. I locked my bedroom door as well!
The OHS is not the last word on my sleep issues. Childhood was much worse and pretty much 4 or 5 times a week. These dreams weren't typical OHS and one was repetitive. Of course, I can describe all of this in the early hours of the morning (before bedtime) as I prioritise research over fear. The idea is to find solutions, causes, connections and analyse it. The more I learn the better armed I become.

Dr-David-Banner

As to the paranormal, that's another aspect and, yes, I believe in it. However, I think the paranormal obeys the same laws of physics as, say, electrons or positrons. Some people for whatever reason are open to be receptive to paranormal phenomenon. In my family it was my grandmother who had these experiences to the point mediums and psychics pretty much pestered her to explore what they said was her gift. As to my grandad he was very normal and worked in a hotel. During childhood I had lots of paranormal experiences so it seems it came from my grandmother. I used to think science and paranormal cancelled each other out but found Nikola Tesla had experiences and lots of scientists in Germany and the USSR studied paranormal phenomena. Also Indian philosopher Jiddu Krishnamurti had paranormal experiences in childhood. By the way I am not saying OHS is paranormal in itself.

Kroge
15 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

"The aspects which involve malignant presences, entities, shadow people, voices, etc."
As I mentioned earlier, the book "Communion" made a huge impact in the 1980's. Then the books like "Missing Time" by Budd Hopkins really started a whole new cultural interest in "the greys". These weren't old hags but "visitors". Then when Budd Hopkins started using hypnosis on his traumatised patients, we got these "recollected" testimonies of alien abductions. This is strange because the physical abductions from cars or fields in the sixties suddenly become bedroom encounters in the eighties. Needless to say, I am very skeptical because Whitney Streiber strikes me as untrustworthy and Budd Hopkins credibility was later damaged. Possibly Streiber had suffered old hag syndrome and decided to turn the whole thing into a "what if?" Imaginative novel. He was already a known writer of fiction so maybe "Communion" made him big profits.
The movie made based on the book apparently was a box office flop.
As for my experiences, they are now very uncommon. As I said, they seem to be triggered by my having been around someone resentful, jealous and envious. If I sleep the night in a house, shared by someone who I sensed is jealous or bitter, the Old Hag is more certain to attack my sleep. And then it does get very scary. It's always a case of me half-waking up and hearing footsteps outside my door. I will then sense this person has gone to the bathroom but fear suddenly the individual will notice my door and know I'm asleep. Then I hear the steps stop at my door. That's the point where I'm drawing on all my resources to shake off the sleep. It's like, "You've got to wake up! There's danger!" The point then when the door opens and the figure is just looking at me asleep with hatred and envy is the tipping point. I once let out an awesome scream that put the fear of God into all who shared the house. Yet in my dream I thought the bit where I screamed was still a dream. Yet whispers and comments overheard downstairs in the morning assured me otherwise: "Did you hear that din last night?" "It woke me up. I locked my bedroom door as well!
The OHS is not the last word on my sleep issues. Childhood was much worse and pretty much 4 or 5 times a week. These dreams weren't typical OHS and one was repetitive. Of course, I can describe all of this in the early hours of the morning (before bedtime) as I prioritise research over fear. The idea is to find solutions, causes, connections and analyse it. The more I learn the better armed I become.

What you're describing is pretty typical of sleep paralysis terrors. My most intense sleep paralysis experience happened a few weeks ago when I was staying in a new B&B. The hosts were a completely harmless older couple but because of my own issues with anxiety and paranoia, I astral projected that night and during the sleep paralysis I heard someone walking in to the room loudly, and looking at all my things next to the bed, just inches from me. I'm fairly paranoid and insecure person, I'm especially insecure about people looking through my personal things and judging me, so that's what I manifested during this sleep paralysis. After that something happened which actually relates to the Greys - but the Greys are a big long subject that I don't want to derail with. But basically they are quite real and heavily documented, but this deals with multiple dimensions so it's far too complex to get into here.

As for the solution, you can end sleep paralysis relatively easily by going into a more calm state of mind. A meditative state of mind is ideal. If you can focus and relax as much as possible, it ends. Usually this results in a full OBE. Knowing that what you're experiencing is coming from your own latent fears is helpful in getting to that mindstate.

15 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

As to the paranormal, that's another aspect and, yes, I believe in it. However, I think the paranormal obeys the same laws of physics as, say, electrons or positrons. Some people for whatever reason are open to be receptive to paranormal phenomenon. In my family it was my grandmother who had these experiences to the point mediums and psychics pretty much pestered her to explore what they said was her gift. As to my grandad he was very normal and worked in a hotel. During childhood I had lots of paranormal experiences so it seems it came from my grandmother. I used to think science and paranormal cancelled each other out but found Nikola Tesla had experiences and lots of scientists in Germany and the USSR studied paranormal phenomena. Also Indian philosopher Jiddu Krishnamurti had paranormal experiences in childhood. By the way I am not saying OHS is paranormal in itself.

I personally find the words "paranormal", "supernatural" and anything else to be silly. Many things that people term "paranormal" have been so extensively researched and implemented to high scientific levels (usually government) that it is as scientifically backed as just about anything people consider to be "fully real". But logically, if something does exist, then it is fully natural. There can be nothing "unnatural" or "extranatural" in a natural Universe. Anything existing has to be natural, otherwise it would not exist. This just highlights that there's no real definition for natural or unnatural.

The reason that some things seem "paranormal" is because they are more "up" in frequency so as to be part of a different-but-interwoven dimensional plane, which is completely natural. So people like your grandmother, and you, are more tuned in to higher frequency ranges compared to most people, and that's what produces a person and lifetime which seems "paranormal".

Based on my research, the mystical pursuits of Tesla, Nazi Germany, USSR, USA (and so on) go much much deeper than a few experiments here and there. It's a very pervasive area.

Dr-David-Banner

Hmmmm, interesting. I will discuss this "greys" issue in time. It's kind of hard to make any definition other than that maybe sci-fi culture projected itself into the old hag syndrome.
For an entertaining DVD I recommend "The Fourth Kind" which seems to have been based on Budd Hopkins/Streiber aspects with a chunk of Zecharia Sitchin thrown in. The movie has a female psychologist travel to Alaska where her patients are being treated for night terrors. Under hypnosis they recall an owl at their bedroom window. I thoroughly enjoyed the film. It's strange I would enjoy a film that deals with terrifying ordeals because my childhood was traumatised by nightmares. I had to be taken to the doctor due to unwillingness to eat, being afraid to sleep without a light on and so on. At that time I had chronic OCD and chronic withdrawel.
Sorry if I sound a bit dark and morose. The Spanish use the term "morboso" which means you delve into dark subjects. Not that I'm a dark person in the sense of "bad" but the unknown draws my curiosity - even if I was a victim of fear.

Dr-David-Banner

" So people like your grandmother, and you, are more tuned in to higher frequency ranges compared to most people, and that's what produces a person and lifetime which seems "paranormal"
My guess is probably my disconnection from other people wired me up for more unusual perception. I very frequently get very mild "weird" experiences and that's normally strange reactions in people. Like once I was in a launderette. A woman asked me if I could get the spin-dryer to work. I gave the coin slot a hard tap and that loosened it up. The woman just looked at me and said, "You're strange!" So, why would someone who only met you just call you "strange"? And why wasn't she aware that was kind of rude? I mean, would I say to a perfect stranger, "You're fat!" I very often find some people will act very strangely in a way they wouldn't normally act.
Nightmares. I only get Old Hag experiences very rarely. In childhood though nightmares were a huge issue. There was one nightmare that ran as follows but this has shades of paranormal. At about 10 years old I'd wake up in bed terrified. Or I dreamed I woke up. I would be so terrified I didn't dare look up. I felt something was there I didn't want to see. I would then dash out of bed and run for the light switch. Yet the light simply didn't work. Then either that was all I remembered or it would continue to the next phase. This involved opening my door and running into my parents' bedroom. However they wouldn't wake up. After that - no memory. This is the scary bit though and I wish I could be certain but I seem to recall my bedroom light bulbs had to be replaced a lot. That included the bathroom light. I have memories of some concern as to why the lighting was an issue in my room and the bathroom. When the Budd Hopkins books came out such books were always to be found on the "weird" shelf of the local library in the eighties. I read all of them with fascination. Hopkins was a go-it-alone researcher who came up with the use of hypnosis to recover details behind the nightmares of patients. He ran support groups where the patients could meet for group therapy. I can't really pass any valid comment on this as to whether it was chronic sleep paralysis with Hopkins drawing on the imagination of his patients. That is suggesting to them they were being "abducted" by entities unknown. Some of Hopkin's assertions did prove to be very shaky and in the sphere of fantasy.
What I can say though is many people who claim traumatic, nightmare experiences added to possible unexplained phenomena are not lying. Sure, there may be mental illness, depersonalisation, cerebral hallucination and chronic anxiety behind it. In my own case I remain baffled. Whitley Streiber by the way took a lie detector test and I suspect he used his skills as an author to create a book that drew on real or delusional experience to shock the media.

Dr-David-Banner

" In his many books, the twentieth century mystic and philosopher, Pandit Gopi Krishna, expressed repeatedly his conviction that these transhuman states of mind are the outcome of a psycho-physiological mechanism in the human body, known from ancient times in India as kundalini. He claimed that the human brain and nervous system are in a slow but inexorable process of evolution and that through an as yet unknown transformation of the brain one can attain higher states of consciousness."

The book Communion is worth reading. However I'm very unsure about Whitley Streiber, mostly because in later books he got carried away. I related totally to the first book but the latter stuff suggested he couldn't tell reality from fiction. Either Streiber suffered lifelong OHS or he did have some paranormal experiences. Turning it into a best seller did edge him closer to Stephen King territory Ie a film.

StormCrow

been away, read the stuff, felt like responding.

I've only had this happen twice to me before. Felt more like a magnetic filed keeping me from moving, it sucked.

Dr-David-Banner

After some interesting observations, Kroge has totally disappeared. Will people on this thread be warned off by the Men In Black, hounded by the Old Hag or abducted by The Grays? Hopefully we'll survive it.
I found this extract I liked:
"Strieber embraced mystical philosophy, aligning himself with occult figures like George Gurdjieff and P.D. Ouspensky, and concluding that the important lesson to be drawn from his experience was about overcoming fear.  “Fear confuses us and holds us back,” he wrote.  “It is our primary obstacle.  Successful confrontation with it is the breakthrough that leads to understanding.”
This totally resonated.
When I started to delve deeper into science I came to better understand we live in a universe that's governed by all sorts of laws. Atoms, electrons, gravity, time and relativity. We come to accept and embrace the known but fear the unknown. For science, though, fear is bad. In the field of electrical science, the fact is you can use electricity to your advantage or you can play with fire and wind up hurt through lack of understanding of the laws of physics. The negative pole and positive pole are opposite forces but depend upon each other - if one didn't exist you'd have no energy - just sameness.
The other day I thought to myself I could probably write a book to match Streiber's Communion in weird content, as well as the very scary element. Nightmares and paranormal experience left a big impact on early childhood. As I said, my grandmother had abilities that drew mediums and clairvoyants to urge her to join their circle. My grandmother though was very simple living and devoted to her marriage. She lived almost to 100 years.
Is Old Hag Syndrome connected to the paranormal. Kroge offered a reasonable and logical explanation. The problem I have though is collectively I've no idea where dream and reality part. There are things I dreamed that I don't know were dreamed up or really happened - such as electrical problems in the family home. So I can understand why some people were subjected to hypnosis in their treatment. I know this does work as we all have a huge subconscious memory.
I don't think another Communion type book would sell today. I think there was a surge of interest in the eighties. All credit to Streiber for using his strange nightmare experiences to create a best-seller.

Dr-David-Banner

"If you have listened to Art Bell over
the years you would have learned that everything, and I mean absolutely everything, has happened to Strieber. He's like some kind of intergalactic focal point.I read communion when it first came out and thought it was a sloppy, horribly written work." (Random comment)

Sirius

I had a bizarre hallucination when I woke up around 4am on Monday. I saw a bright green shape that looked somewhat similar to a space-filling molecular model floating through the dark towards me, rolling and expanding. It felt like a threat. I reached to turn on the light and it was gone. I’ve never experienced anything like this before. It definitely wasn’t a dream.