Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Willow

      Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

      Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  

Recommended Posts

Miss Chief

I'm sticking this in here as it's one of the co-morbid conditions that many people on the spectrum have.

I'm currently going through the err... assessment? process to see if I have ADHD

I must admit I didn't really know what ADHD was... I knew what it stood for and what all the words meant but I think that doesn't really cover the impact it has on people and I had no idea it could effect so very much.

Basically I was browsing YouTube when I saw a kind of funny video about ADHD (I'll link it below) and as I was watching, it was amusing of course but I was startled by how much I identified with all the stuff they were saying. So I went off to more reputable medical sources to find out more, and the more I learned the more shocked I was that I really think I have this and it has perhaps been one of the biggest impacts on my life (perhaps far more so than ASD), so I went to my GP and requested that I get assessed and I am now going through that process. 

I'm actually really hopeful that I have it, now I know that sounds weird to say since no one wants to be ill or even just different if it has a negative impact, but the reason I am hopeful is that unlike ASD there is actually a treatment for ADHD and if I have it and the treatment helps then I could perhaps get my life back on track. 

What do others on here who have ADHD think? Do you take meds for it? Do they help? Do you feel like it has at least as much impact on your life as AS? 

If you don't have ADHD and like me you just thought it meant that people struggled to maintain their focus (it actually means an awful lot more) there are some links below but at the top are two YouTube videos that got me looking into it in the first place :)

  •  I watched this first although it's not so funny it led me to the next on below which is:
  • This is the funny one which I really identified with

Ok and now some grown up links for people who want to get a better idea of what ADHD really is:

There are others but I figure that is enough to sate your curiosity. If you're not from the UK, the NHS site is still nicely laid out and easy to use and get basic info from but the NICE and the Royal College of Psychiatrists is probably two you want to avoid (NICE is the organisation who decides what medications are and aren't available on the NHS in the UK and the Royal College stuff is designed for Psychiatrists not patients so it uses a lot of jargon etc).

I do think that most younger people get this picked up very early these days so this (getting a diagnosis later in life) probably only applies to the members who like me got an AS diagnosis later in life, if you are younger you probably either have a diagnosis or you don't have it, I think when I was in my teens lots of younger kids were already getting ADD (as it was then called) diagnoses, I'm not saying it's impossible but just that it is less likely, I suppose it also depends on the health care system where you come from, my experience is of course UK based ;) 

Edited by Miss Chief
  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Heather

Those were fun videos to watch.  I am glad you have found another way to describe some of the things you struggle with @Miss Chief ! It was good you posted here in case others, especially older members who maybe might fit the diagnosis but when they were younger it wasn't around.

However, this only highlighted how much I don't have ADHD.  Sure, some of the things I could relate to, but the vast majority of the videos I  was like "nope, not me!" But the videos were still fun to watch.  I started thinking about some other people I know in life and maybe they have ADHD but I couldn't concentrate on thinking of their answers for everyone when I was thinking of my answer.   

Let us know how your diagnosis process goes, it would be great if this answers some of your problems so you can cope better with life. :) 

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nesf

Thank you for posting this. I do have difficulties with focusing - I find it hard to keep my attention on things like conversations and then I have to ask people to repeat, or videos - I can never watch a video straight through, I keep stopping it, getting up, looking at something else, or I have to replay because I missed a part of it. I also find it hard to settle down to work, it takes me all morning, and this is one of the reasons why I could never make a living from translations, because I could never stay focused on it for the duration of a 8 hour working day. The most I do is three or 4 hours. As a child I daydreamed a lot and was in my own world, extremely absent-minded, untidy and badly-organized. I was always losing or forgetting things. I can also relate to needing stimulation and getting bored easily - this is certainly true with me. New music, new foods, new ideas - but as long as I'm in control of it. I am also restless, edgy, fidget non-stop and impatient. I also avoid tasks with sustained mental effort, or procrastinate over them, I'm easily distracted. I wouldn't say that I was particularly impulsive though - at least not now, more so when I was younger. Perhaps I just found coping strategies as I got older? Also, I'm not particularly talkative, though I do interrupt people, mainly through impatience and not waiting for them to finish, but sometimes I don't realize that they haven't finished. But other people do this to me, too. Also, I'm not careless (not any more than the average person) and have good attention to detail, I can hyperfocus on things, but only when really interested. So I can relate to a lot of all of the inattention and hyperactivity symptoms, but not so much the impulsivity.

I've thought in the past that I might have ADHD, but I know that people with Asperger's also have difficulty with 'executive functioning' so it's unclear to me whether these symptoms are another aspect of the Asperger's diagnosis, or a separate diagnosis of ADHD. I think that perhaps I wouldn't be diagnosed with ADHD because I don't have so many impulsivity traits.

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miss Chief

@Nesf You don't need to have all three categories to have ADHD there are different kinds/combinations, so you could still have it, another consideration is that I didn't think that I was a risk taker but then they asked me some quite specific questions, driving fast for example and I realised that they would consider me to be one, so perhaps someone else can do a better assessment of you for some things. As a non-medical professional it does sound like you check a lot of the boxes so might be worth getting checked

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nesf
6 hours ago, Miss Chief said:

@Nesf You don't need to have all three categories to have ADHD there are different kinds/combinations, so you could still have it, another consideration is that I didn't think that I was a risk taker but then they asked me some quite specific questions, driving fast for example and I realised that they would consider me to be one, so perhaps someone else can do a better assessment of you for some things. As a non-medical professional it does sound like you check a lot of the boxes so might be worth getting checked

Oh yes, I do drive fast. Also, I used to like to climb things when I was a child - trees, rock climbing. I suppose that could be considered risk taking. I'm not scared of heights and I once really scared my partner by getting really close to a cliff, but I would never do a bungee jump or skydive. But other than that, in other areas, I don't take risks - I guess that's the Asperger's kicking in, or just my personality,

I don't know if I could ever get assessed. I mentioned once to my GP when I was in the UK that I have ADHD traits, but she told me that adults don't get diagnosed with this! Here they have the same attitude - that it's only for children.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miss Chief
10 hours ago, Nesf said:

I don't know if I could ever get assessed. I mentioned once to my GP when I was in the UK that I have ADHD traits, but she told me that adults don't get diagnosed with this! Here they have the same attitude - that it's only for children.

Well when I went to my GP I just printed off the NHS page about ADHD (in adults) and I just marked all the bits that applied to me (including all the co-morbid conditions I already have). I did a bit more for the Psychologist... I wrote a report, possibly because I have ADHD, I tend to fixate on one or two things and forget to mention all the others so to stop that happening I just write it all out and give examples, fortunately he wasn't surprised about it since he spoke to the other Psychologist who diagnosed my AS and so he knew I do this, I always worry they will be annoyed that I do this ;)

He went through a HUGE form with me (took well over an hour even with him kind of moving me on) and now I am being referred to the ADHD expert to make a decision on it :) I will of course update this post with the result of that but I don't know how long that will be.

It does say on the ADHD symptoms lists that usually the issues decrease as we get older because we find coping mechanisms, however, I told the Psych Dr that if anything I feel like it has MORE impact on me as an adult than when I was young because when I was young my parents/teachers had much more control so I wasn't late so much etc. Where as now I am grown up there is no one to get me up and get me going so I don't have that safety net anymore, he said it is not unusual for that to be the case, as we get older the support we had as children/young adults disappears and we have more responsibilities like work, partners, kids, etc and no one to help so we can feel like we cope LESS instead of better.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HalfFull

I think I have ADHD. Although I'm not hyperactive, apparently ADD is now more or less outmoded as a diagnosis, and its juust called ADHD now. I'm not exactly jumping off walls and high-fiving my neighbours, its all attention-deficit with me, and I could be pursuing a diagnosis this year. I've seen the youtube girl, she is great fun!

  • Helpful 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RiRi

I was n0t able t0 finsh the second video. I f0rced myself, but i might need t0 d0 it another time. 

I used to think i might be adhd but i ended up discarding it. I have a lot of the symptoms but i think theyre accounted f0r in the asd. 

Ive even th0ught i am dyspraxia but its all accounted for in the ASd diagnosis

Ive only made my bed like 2 time this year and it was only because people were coming over. i am very messy. I used to have so much paper on my bed and i used to sleep on it. ?

I always forget something when going out. Either my prescripti0n glasses, keys, phone. 0ne time i left my phone charging. I was pissed. I try to talk to myself nowadays though. Eversince i forgot my phone. I am like "RiRi do you have your belt, do you have your socks, do you have your id, do you have your phone" it helps. 

When i was getting diagnosed for asd i told the psychologist i thought i might have asd, she didnt diagnose with it so i do not kn0w if i have it. 

I do get bugged by the smallest things and i tend to multitask and when im not doing anything i feel like im wasting time. I need constant gratification. I intertumpt people all the time. I cant really listen to other peoples sentences if im not interested. I feel overwhelmed by mess, but still live in the mess. I always thought i was organized, but im not.

I have so many ideas but never seem to put them to action. 

I can meet deadlines sometimes because i take things like my life depends on it so its the hyper focusing kicking in. 

I can relate to a lot of adhd, but i dont think id get diagnosed it it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RiRi

I cannot edit my p0st but i meant to say i told the psychol0gist i thought i have adhd. 

I also procrastinate a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miss Chief
3 hours ago, RiRi said:

I was n0t able t0 finsh the second video. I f0rced myself, but i might need t0 d0 it another time.

I admit it took me a few attempts to get through the second vid too

3 hours ago, RiRi said:

I used to think i might be adhd but i ended up discarding it. I have a lot of the symptoms but i think theyre accounted f0r in the asd. 

Ive even th0ught i am dyspraxia but its all accounted for in the ASd diagnosis

Ive only made my bed like 2 time this year and it was only because people were coming over. i am very messy. I used to have so much paper on my bed and i used to sleep on it. ?

I always forget something when going out. Either my prescripti0n glasses, keys, phone. 0ne time i left my phone charging. I was pissed. I try to talk to myself nowadays though. Eversince i forgot my phone. I am like "RiRi do you have your belt, do you have your socks, do you have your id, do you have your phone" it helps. 

When i was getting diagnosed for asd i told the psychologist i thought i might have asd, she didnt diagnose with it so i do not kn0w if i have it. 

I do get bugged by the smallest things and i tend to multitask and when im not doing anything i feel like im wasting time. I need constant gratification. I intertumpt people all the time. I cant really listen to other peoples sentences if im not interested. I feel overwhelmed by mess, but still live in the mess. I always thought i was organized, but im not.

I have so many ideas but never seem to put them to action. 

I can meet deadlines sometimes because i take things like my life depends on it so its the hyper focusing kicking in. 

I can relate to a lot of adhd, but i dont think id get diagnosed it it. 

 

 

3 hours ago, RiRi said:

I cannot edit my p0st but i meant to say i told the psychol0gist i thought i have adhd. 

I also procrastinate a lot. 

 

These do not sound like ASD traits... they do sound like ADHD traits though

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nesf
7 hours ago, RiRi said:

I was n0t able t0 finsh the second video. I f0rced myself, but i might need t0 d0 it another time. 

I must admit that I didn't finish the second video, I'll have to come back to it. I've never been a huge fan of videos with people just talking because they never seem to hold my attention for long, I always switch off a couple of minutes in and need to rewind.

 

20 hours ago, Miss Chief said:

Well when I went to my GP I just printed off the NHS page about ADHD (in adults) and I just marked all the bits that applied to me (including all the co-morbid conditions I already have). I did a bit more for the Psychologist... I wrote a report, possibly because I have ADHD, I tend to fixate on one or two things and forget to mention all the others so to stop that happening I just write it all out and give examples,

I did this for my Asperger's assessment for the same reason - but isn't a tendency to fixate on one or two details more an ASD trait? I always thought that with ADHD you tend to jump around a lot from one topic to another because ideas pop into your head and you become distracted.

 

7 hours ago, RiRi said:

I do get bugged by the smallest things and i tend to multitask and when im not doing anything i feel like im wasting time. I need constant gratification.

I can relate to this. But I don't really multitask - actually I get overwhelmed if I have too many things to do at once - I do one task but, but my mind keeps wandering, I keep wanting to get up to make cups of coffee, etc. When I was at school, I was always the last to finish a task. I can't settle down to a task easily to start it. If I start a task, then get interrupted, I find it hard to go back to the original task. And yes, if I'm not doing anything I feel like I'm wasting time, I get bored easily and need gratification/seek stimulation. It's one of the reasons why I keep coming back here and haven't moved on like so many other people have.

 

21 hours ago, Miss Chief said:

It does say on the ADHD symptoms lists that usually the issues decrease as we get older because we find coping mechanisms, however, I told the Psych Dr that if anything I feel like it has MORE impact on me as an adult than when I was young because when I was young my parents/teachers had much more control so I wasn't late so much etc. Where as now I am grown up there is no one to get me up and get me going so I don't have that safety net anymore, he said it is not unusual for that to be the case, as we get older the support we had as children/young adults disappears and we have more responsibilities like work, partners, kids, etc and no one to help so we can feel like we cope LESS instead of better.

Yes, this is true - I have to use self-discipline to get things done, also my partner reminds me to do things/not to forget things. One the other hand, I no longer have my mum constantly on my case for losing my pens, school lunchboxes, having odd socks or a jumper inside out (my mum says she had to check me every morning), or because I forgot to give her my PE kit to clean. I was constantly getting into trouble off my parents for things like this which I wasn't doing on purpose and no matter how I tried, I always did something wrong. The other thing I was always in trouble for was frowning or having the wrong expression on my face, or saying the wrong thing, which I was totally unaware of and which caused me a lot of stress at the time because I wasn't doing any of this on purpose.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miss Chief

Thanks for that @Nesf 

Here are my results:

First one: I got 9/9 on both.

Second one: 53; Inattention 27, Hyperactivity/Impulsivity: 26.

 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blacktiger911

i have adhd and other things but i went cold turkey on all medication best thing i ever did.

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RiRi

I know I fit the ADHD profile and that if I get an ADHD diagnosis I could probably prove to others that in fact "yes" my life is harder than a lot of people...but I won't  do that because I shouldn't do it to prove others. 

@Nesf I could leave a forum if am I banned from it. And if I force myself ot have new interests. 

More ADHD traits: desktop in my computer is always a mess, and I have more than 20 open tabs along with multile appliactions running

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nesf

@Miss Chief Do you find that your ADHD traits come into conflict with your ASD traits? For example, impulsiveness is in conflict with a need for routine? Or you get bored easily, want new experiences, want to do things but they cause you anxiety or sensory problems when you do them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Angry Primeape

I thought Id post in this since ive been diagnosed from what i had to register with new doctor, i took a friend with me to see the new doctor and we mentioned ADHD the doctor said to my friend does these symptoms affect her in 2 different places and not just at home, my friend said yes then the doctor put me back in contact with the psychitrist 

All i remember about psychitrist appointment is me fidigiting with something and him asking questions and i got irritable with my dad a lot and i did speak out of turn a lot as well during it thats all i remember of that sorry

I did have medication for it, i think it did help but im not allowed it any more due to a heart problem 

If you have any questions you can always ask and i do the best to answer 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RiRi

@DebzMata08 Was the new doctor skeptical that you have adhd?

Lol the speaking out of turn does apply to me. Imainly find it hard to let the other person speak, if I'm comfortable with them.like I want to finish my train of thought because then I forget. But if I'm anxious I just wouldn't speak much. I guess that's when the anxious would conflict with the adhd as my symptoms would be hidden.

@Nesf i know the question isn't for me, but I think for me they wouldn't conflict, at least not at the same time. Like, I get bored easily, but I'm able to hyperfocus if I'm interested and I can do something else. I dont really like going out so on the computer I can change what I'm doing. 

I feel like getting a diagnosis wouldn't help me because I dont want medication. That's why I dont see the point in diagnosis for it. I know I struggle with adhd like stuff and that's what matters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nesf
10 hours ago, DebzMata08 said:

If you have any questions you can always ask and i do the best to answer 

My question to those who have been diagnosed with both ADHD and ASD is the one I posted above:

23 hours ago, Nesf said:

Do you find that your ADHD traits come into conflict with your ASD traits? For example, impulsiveness is in conflict with a need for routine? Or you get bored easily, want new experiences, want to do things but they cause you anxiety or sensory problems when you do them?

 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
.......

The boundary between ADHD and asd is soooooo blurred, seems no one really knows. 

I have customers who've been diagnosed asd but not ADHD and they appear more ADHD. 

Same applies the other way round. ADHD kids who appear more asd. 

Also - dyspraxia can be confused as ADHD.......etc, etc. 

 

Plenty of others who've been diagnosed as ADHD but seem way more aspie. 

 

Myself - I'm ADHD without doubt. Not diagnosed but having non stop racing thoughts is a good clue.  

Also - apparently the ADHD mind takes in 140 bits of info per second.. the non ADHD mind, only 40 bits per second. 

 

I find that my mind only really wakes up when under extreme pressure. In an exam/test, in dangerous situations, at work, or in a near miss on the road. That's when my hyper focus really kicks in - otherwise, I'm just spinning with a 11D model of infinity ?

  • Helpful 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
.......

I'm also able to test run situations in my internal landscape way before they happen. Anything, I can see what the outcome will be before it happens. Not just the actual outcome but multiple possible outcomes too. Like watching a car crash happening but nobody wants to heed the advise and they just crash. 

Fairly certain the non ADHD mind can't do such predictions. They just don't have enough 'bandwidth' at only 40 bits per second. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
.......

I think conflicting traits could be the cause of deep rooted anxiety @Nesf?

Edited by .......
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nesf
6 hours ago, ....... said:

Also - apparently the ADHD mind takes in 140 bits of info per second.. the non ADHD mind, only 40 bits per second.

Do you mean bits as in digital information? How can such a thing be measured?

6 hours ago, ....... said:

I think conflicting traits could be the cause of deep rooted anxiety @Nesf?

Possibly. because it creates a conflict or dilemma for the person.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RiRi

I just took both tests @Nesf posted, at first I thought it was just one because I think I just missed it. Anyway, so I took the second one first and I got 38 for my total score, which is Adult ADHD (34 & up). 23 for inattentive, 15 for hyperactivity/impulsivity.

I got 9/9 on the first part of the first test, then 4/9 on the second part, which could mean I only have ADD (I'm not sure if that's diagnosable anymore, I heard that there's no ADD anymore just ADHD so I'm not sure if that means ADD diagnosis doesn't exist anymore). It also said that that maybe some of the hyperactivity/impulsivity might have turned into anxiety which makes sense because I am a pretty anxious person.

At public places where I have to sit for a while, I can sit still, but I get anxious. I find myself taking a lot of deep breaths throughout the entire time. I'm still not sure if it's due to the anxiety or because I'm sitting still. Or maybe it's both. I do find myself taking a lot of deep breaths when I'm anxious so maybe it's the anxiety, it's significantly less at home.

So I guess I probably have ADD and not ADHD? 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nesf
11 hours ago, RiRi said:

At public places where I have to sit for a while, I can sit still, but I get anxious. I find myself taking a lot of deep breaths throughout the entire time.

I fidget/stim a lot. I'm not good at sitting still.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×