• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  

Dont fit in on here

@RiRi no he wasnt skeptical the doctors i go to are nice 

@Nesf i dont really understand the question sorry 

• Helpful 1

RiRi
14 hours ago, Nesf said:

I fidget/stim a lot. I'm not good at sitting still.

I think I'm good, but sometimes my perceptions are off. I do move when I take the deep breaths which is a lot, I move myself to make it seem less obvious that I'm out of breath/to take attention off me trying to catch my breath. 

I think one of the symptoms I struggle with the most is anxiety. 

• Helpful 1

Miss Chief
On 06/09/2017 at 8:34 PM, RiRi said:

which could mean I only have ADD (I'm not sure if that's diagnosable anymore, I heard that there's no ADD anymore just ADHD so I'm not sure if that means ADD diagnosis doesn't exist anymore).

They changed it to ADHD and there are different types of ADHD: 

• Inattentive type
  • Hyperactive-Impulsive type
  • Combination type

You can have the first or second or both (third).

@Nesf I will try and answer your question in a bit :) 

• Helpful 2

RiRi

@Miss Chief I might have ADHD inattentive type then. Thanks for the info.

How's your diagnoses process going so far? 

Miss Chief
On 05/09/2017 at 8:36 AM, Nesf said:

@Miss Chief Do you find that your ADHD traits come into conflict with your ASD traits? For example, impulsiveness is in conflict with a need for routine? Or you get bored easily, want new experiences, want to do things but they cause you anxiety or sensory problems when you do them?

Umm, no :P  I do understand what you are asking but I don't and never have had a very strict routine (I love the idea of it but I just can't follow it), I feel like I get that box ticked by the way I do things (as in the process) rather than when/how often I do things. New things do cause me anxiety (but that is also part of ADHD). This also kind of 'should' conflict with my OCD but again I find I tend to get my OCD hit from specific things and it doesn't kick in at all for other stuff.

On 22/09/2017 at 6:07 AM, RiRi said:

@Miss Chief I might have ADHD inattentive type then. Thanks for the info.

How's your diagnoses process going so far? 

I'm still awaiting an appointment to see the ADHD expert, mental health care/treatment rarely goes quickly in the UK, there are so many people in need and only so many appointments and obviously people with acute or urgent issues (like people feeling suicidal) get precedence. I will of course update the topic when I get somewhere :) 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Miss Chief

So I went for my formal assessment today and I have been diagnosed with ADHD... I am being put on Methylphenidate Hydrochloride initially but he will be seeing me again in a month to assess how I'm doing on those and to adjust dose etc there are quite a lot of medication options, so it'a going to be trial and error, also he thinks that my OCD is actually an ADHD trait so maybe I don't have that after all and he is referring me to some talking therapies (CBT?) but the wait for that is over 18 months so that one will be a while yet. The best news was that the meds might help with the sleep issues which is my main issue at the moment and there is even a chance that my depression will improve once I'm on the right medicine/dose as I will cope better with life and so I might not get so low etc.

• Like 2

hutchie

Hope the meds work for you and you get your answers, good you've started that journey to find the one that works.  I got diagnosed at 39 and again this year at 46, tried some meds but failed, they stopped working. Learning coping mechanisms etc doesn't help that much, so that's rubbish, it's tireing at best.

• Like 1

Miss Chief

@hutchie Thanks for the message, I am 36 now, I think if I was going to learn coping mechanisms I would have done it by now. I actually used amphetamines back in the 90's/2000's for a while to help me cope with my sleep issues (apparently also ADHD) and they helped me a lot while I was on them (so I'm quite hopeful the medication route will work) although I didn't really know what ADHD was then (I thought I knew what it was but it wasn't a very accurate idea) so I never really linked it to any condition just my sleep issues. My initial post on this thread will explain how I came to think I had ADHD ;)

How exactly do you get diagnosed with the same thing twice? ;)