• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Dr-David-Banner

Academics

Dr-David-Banner

Do you feel academically inclined to approach or practical?
First, to define "academic". Academics! as far as I can see, think about a subject, often theoretically. Typical subjects may be history, philosophy, physics, psychology. Languages maybe 50/50 unless you only do ancient languages where practical communication isn't involved.
I think aspects of engineering are maybe a mix with practical application being more important than theory. In other words you're supposed to make things such as amplifiers.
I've known quite a few academics and they do a lot of reading. I knew one guy who understood about 13 languages and had written several books on ancient Greek mathematics and philosophy.
Put very simply: There are people who devote time to making things such as machines, houses or cabins, bikes or boats. There are also people who analyse, organise and gather information and articulate theories.
Knowing where you lie is good when considering your potential.

Stoke-on-Trent-20170720-00276.jpg

Dr-David-Banner

The pic above shows my boat project. The small cupboard took about 5 attempts. The first time it was crooked and looked ridiculous and wobbly. It made me realise I was a bit lacking in practical skills.

Nesf

Both. I like doing and making things. If I'm making something, I visualize it first, but also use knowledge I might have about the materials I use, etc. I analyze and think a lot about what I'm doing. With languages, I see them more as an academic than a communication exercise - I choose the correct words and construct sentences. I learn them more in an academic way, by learning vocabulary and grammar rules, rather than through speaking. I'm always a lot better at writing languages than speaking them.

Dr-David-Banner

Just. Found this on BBC:
"US President Donald Trump tweeted to say the sanctions would cost the North more than $1bn (£0.7bn)."
How can 0.7 bn be more than 1 billion???? It's 70 per cent.

Dr-David-Banner

I am slow at making things. I'm doing lots of work on my boat but have to force myself to do it. By nature, I prefer to memorise things and learn facts.

Dr-David-Banner

Interesting debate I followed. Science vs engineering. I have my own strong opinion on the theme. Personally I see myself as a scientist and would rather idealise the stereotype scientist. Scientists I think are more imaginative, more theoretical, more speculative, more open-minded. Whereas my experience of engineers so far has been bad. Possibly a majority of engineers don't understand a lot of the theory we have today basically evolved, often through observation, trial and error, even accidents. Therefore, the idea that there is this way or that way or Mr So and So's way is a waste of time and energy. The only thing I will add is I do try to do some applied electrical engineering as there's a need for developing safety, efficiency, good design and reliability. So far as yacht electrics goes I read a huge percentage of fires were caused by electrical faults. Good engineers ought to be able to forsee potential problems and produce functional designs. There are still really sound engineers to be found but I fear the majority are not the people I'd like to be around. Scientists of course prioritise knowledge, imagination, invention. I like to put myself in that field as I learn out of curiosity not out of a desire to be flattered or put on a pedastal and conned into self image as "an expert". One more thing about scientists is many are social rejects. Check out the film "Contact" about a female SETI researcher who's ridiculed for not taking a career post. Also bear in mind Einstein flunked all his electrical engineering exams and got a "C" for his essays.
Finally physicists. These seem to be also in it for the love of learning. I had a friend who did a Masters in physics and he was very modest and laid back.