• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Dr-David-Banner

Aspergers In Russia

On 04/09/2017 at 9:30 PM, Dr-David-Banner said:

Hmnnmn, the mothers certainly don't pull punches. Some want the discussions to switch to English. One of the mothers has a high functioning autistic son who evidently constructs sentences like me. So she thought I was her son and had joined to "infiltrate" for fun. I don't doubt my Russian will be a bit odd for them but I need to practise too!! I think the best option is a 50/50 mix. Odd thing is the mothers speak weird trendy Russian you'd use in real life. Mine is derived from books on Perestroika where I picked up old words and use of participles (bookish format). Funny though how her AS son shares my sentence structure. Maybe he reads a lot of old books and listens poorly to spoken language.

Your sentence structure looks just like loads of others I know off different forums. The suspected aspires who I've also met in person. Actually - I see almost all aspie sentences and paragraphs etc, as similar. 

Reckon I can tell an aspie just from the written.

Dr-David-Banner

They are very into diagnosis specifics. They're not sure if the kids can be accurately diagnosed at 13. Of course I'm not a psychologist. I can apply autism traits to myself and draw conclusions but I'm not sure how it is with other people. Besides I think what's important is management of the condition. The diagnosis is hard to pin down. It would be easier to just print a list of the likely symptoms.

Dr-David-Banner

Russian mothers of autistic kids seem to have been left speechless. As an example of empathy I described an occasion after my grandmother passed away. The family was packing up lots of stuff as it had been a rented house. Upstairs I recall I found a newspaper dated 1963 or around. As I was working I switched on a CD player and it was fast, dance music. Well, my aunt reacted in a hurt manner and stated this wasn't the time for loud music. Of course, then it dawned on me and I realised my gran was gone and people were in mourning. Years later I asked myself why didn't I know at the time there are right and wrong ways to act at certain times. I use this example as the reality is my gran always has a special place within me and the apparent lack of empathy wasn't quite as it seemed. I think it was more the feelings not tuned in somehow to others.
Also, in the case where schizoid personality was suggested, I looked it up and schizoid types aren't usually interested in sex and are low on feelings. I can actually have sexual encounters although former partners noticed the lack of any feeling. For me sex was just a kind of workout scenario and the feeling part is absent. These days too I just don't bother with sex at all. So in many ways I do fit Schizoid type as well as AS.

Dr-David-Banner

By the way, I have in my time read carefully the profiles of some criminals diagnosed with stuff like schizophrenia, MPD, BPD or aspects of autism. I do not agree with the many psychologists (Baron Cohen included) who connected Asperger empathy issues as a possible first stage to disregard of human life (in psychotics). You can have different empathy mechanisms but a strong moral compass. I don't even kill spiders when I'm painting. I always say the badly adjusted and distrusted loner is a long way off the presumed criminal profile. Some of the worst killers were married men with jobs and popular.

• Helpful 1

Dr-David-Banner

I think maybe the site was very quiet as is the case these days with most forums. Being English, I guess I inspired a surge of interest from sleeping members. And they all love to practise their English. One Moscow female yet again broke the forum rules and used English. She wrote:
"Have you ever seen the documentary ''make me normal" about the biggest school in Britain for ASD (РАС)? "
In Russian PAC means AS. I can see at some point the women using English will land me in the shit with the moderators. Those mums that don't know English will at some point complain as they don't follow the threads. Added to that, my Russian is an overly complex grammatical nightmare that gave some headaches.

I'm the same - I act how I feel is appropriate and not what others feel at anytime. They'll be asleep anyway so - feck'em. That's why NT people mourn. It's regret that they've missed the moment with the death or dying of a person. 

They feel guilt because they e been self absorbed over the years and now the person is dead! 

Its the original meaning of being a Sinner. 

The Sin is the distance measured from the bulls eye to where the arrow hits the target. The further away from the bullseye the bigger the sin. So unless you're fully in the present/bullseye, life is being wasted and that's a Sin! ?

NT or Allistic's have got it seriously wrong and that's a simple fact. They're tricked out of their own lives/present moment with the carrot and the donky situation or the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It's that attitude that has caused their problems too. Denial that they're wrong. Trying to be like them - wrong in other words is futile. 

Who cares about their infantile social convention! They can keep it for the monkey brains.

Dr-David-Banner

So far it hasn't been too bad but the initial onset of curiosity has died down. It's just not every day you get an English autist dropping in on a Russian forum. I also don't know if Russian language study is as popular as in the late 1990's when I was there. Plus with the very poor international relations due to Crimea, there may now be far fewer American and English students over there studying Russian. In fact the faculty where I was sent in 1992 now has Indian students coming instead. So it must seem odd. Why would an English guy want to learn Russian rather than German or Dutch or an EU language? It tends to be fading in the Baltics and Georgia but may be taught more in Iraq, Iran and Syria. I will take it easy and give them time to maybe get used to my appearance there.

Dr-David-Banner

I found out the site is very regimented with strict rules. Some of the women have had bans of a few weeks. This may be just for not using quote marks. It seems a bit policed by moderators - the main one based in Moscow. When the women speak amongst themselves, the language is harder for me to follow as it's street Russian. Maybe I could encourage a "perestroika" and get them to loosen up a bit. The thing about Russia is it has a strong base on hierarchy and authority and collective enterprise. Even academics have to be part of an institution or association. The women struggle to understand how their kids can be high functioning but destructive and prone to rages.