• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Sign in to follow this  
fairytattgirl

Repeating a Grade

fairytattgirl

How many people have repeated a grade and do you feel it was beneficial. Being a mid school year birthday I had started as a younger kid but made to repeat due to my 'immaturity' not my intelligence. I think in kindy my mum even said 'why does she need to repeat she is the brightest kid academically'  I remember repeating gave me a real chip on my shoulder and made me feel more useless because I was still behind despite promises I will be fine. Anyway I ask this question because may partner and I are planning a family kids and I may very well face the issue

Nesf

I've never had to repeat a grade as it's not a policy practised in the UK where I grew up - instead they put you in a slow learners class is you weren't doing well at school. They wanted to put me in such a class, but my father insisted I stayed where I was. I think it's wrong to make kids repeat a grade, it's very degrading (excuse the pun) and damaging.

Heather

I never repeated a grade, but I understand where it is sometimes a good thing. I think personally it is best when it is done when a child is younger.  I say this because my boyfriend was held back and took kindergarten twice, but that was likely because he is a November birthday and so he was developmentally so close to being born in the next year, so it was not a big deal. I think repeating kindergarten or even grade 1 is not a huge deal and if a child is seeming to be struggling then, I think it would be okay.

Although as a child gets older, then it gets more complicated as children have already established their friends and peers and if they fail to move to the next grade with them then it would be difficult. I think it could still be seen as an option but I can understand why people would want to avoid failing kids at higher grades.  Usually, kids who have more difficulty will have learning aides and extra help at least.  I know it does not happen much anymore at least where I live, as there is the whole "no kid gets left behind thing" which I understand but at the same level sometimes it is a good thing but it shouldn't be taken lightly especially as the child gets older and establishes peer groups etc. They should get learning help first.

MrGrey

If the problem is the kid, then repeating the grade might help.  But when the problem is the system, repeating the grade achieves nothing.