• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Sign in to follow this  
PandaPrincess

Reward Charts for Motivation

PandaPrincess

Lately, I've been greatly struggling with motivation to do anything productive.  I read an article that someone put on The Mighty the other day about depression, and they said that they made a reward chart for themselves to get things done.  Basically, you assign points to doing specific tasks, such as cooking a healthy meal, cleaning the dishes, taking a shower, etc. giving yourself the most points on the tasks that you find the hardest to complete, and when you get up to 100 points, you give yourself a reward, which can be pretty much anything you want.  I think that I'm going to start doing this because basically I've been doing nothing except for playing Breath of the Wild, and when I get hungry I just eat popcorn or a poptart, basically anything that can be made in less than 5 minutes.  I think that when I get up to 100 points, I might treat myself to a subscription box, or maybe a video game or something like that.  

• Helpful 7

Nesf

It's a good idea. I give myself a treat, a snack or some time doing something I enjoy for completing tasks - but I find that the feelgood from finishing something is reward in itself. I also set myself targets, and if I reach the target I 'allow' myself to do something different.

• Helpful 3

Sofi

I have a similar system to this. I've got some household tasks checklists that I have to tick every day and if I complete all the ticks in a week, I usually reward myself with chocolate or magazine or a little toy :P 
I think, if I'm struggling, I'll reward myself even smaller things that I get done or if I'm finding something really hard to get done, I'll motivate myself if I tell myself I'll get a reward if I do it. 

• Helpful 3

PandaPrincess

I feel good after I do some things, like decluttering my room.  I decluttered my room several months ago, and I have a lot more space in my room now, and everything looks neater.  Other stuff, such as cooking, I have trouble with because I just don't have the executive functioning skills to plan and prepare a large meal, so I get frustrated, and oftentimes, the instructions in the recipe are waay too vague.  My mom is the one who usually cooks, but she doesn't do it as often as she used to because her eyes are bad.  So, I end up eating a bunch of junk food so that I don't have to cook anything.  Even fixing a grilled cheese or fried bologna sandwich is tiresome.  I've also noticed that I've lost the motivation to create art or work on videos for my youtube channel, which I used to enjoy doing.  

I think at some point, I've also noticed that everything is pretty much futile in the end.  Everybody always tries to be perfect all the time and go to work and try to do the perfect job, but it doesn't matter in the end because everybody dies, and someday the world is going to end anyway, so none of this matters.  

I think that from a very young age, I've always escaped into a fantasy world since I can't cope with the real world.  That's why anime, books, movies, and video games are things that motivate me to do things that I need to do in order to survive.  

The article I read about making yourself a reward chart said that once you reach 100 points, or whatever your goal is, then the next time you do it, you can change the point values so that you have to do more in order to get a reward.  That way you don't come to rely on the rewards too much, and you learn the intrinsic value of doing things.  

• Helpful 2

Peridot
On ‎22‎-‎8‎-‎2017 at 7:31 PM, PandaPrincess said:

I think at some point, I've also noticed that everything is pretty much futile in the end.  Everybody always tries to be perfect all the time and go to work and try to do the perfect job, but it doesn't matter in the end because everybody dies, and someday the world is going to end anyway, so none of this matters.

I guess you're right. Let's all take cyanide and get it over with. :)

PandaPrincess

I'm happy because the chart that I made for myself is almost filled up, which means that I'm going to get a reward :D.  I think I'm going to go buy an anime themed Loot Crate I'm pretty sure that this month's Loot Crate has Death Note and Naruto themed stuff in it, so I'm going to try to work extra hard to get that chart filled up so I can get it.  

• Helpful 3

Dont fit in on here

Its nice you had idea to do motivation chart and that its working for you

How much do you have to fill altogether? Im just curious how big you made the chart :)

• Helpful 2

PandaPrincess

I made the chart on my computer, and there are 100 spaces to fill.  I put a star on each space every time I accomplish something, and once I get to 100, I reward myself with something.  Different tasks are assigned a different number of points depending on how tough it is for me.  For instance, walking for at least 30 minutes is 3 points, eating a good breakfast is worth 2 points, creating art is worth 5 points, etc.  I have a bunch of other tasks on there too, like recording and uploading videos, decluttering, going to work, and playing with my niece. Right now, I have 60 of the spaces filled :D.

• Helpful 1

RiRi

Your thread reminded me of a book i needed to finish reading. It includes charts for depression, but just doing the task as reward in itself. I used to have a list which i would highlight after completing the task.

Im glad the charts working for you. 

Oh yeah, after doing something like a chore like task, i find most things like that, i want to reward myself. I think i do this a lot because of the depression. The rewards are priceless like watching something i like. 

RiRi

Listening to music motivates me to do things too. I think mostly it was to cope with the noise and possibility of someone listening, but I got used to it and put it when I can to do chore like things. I hope I don't get bored of it though and then get bored of doing things because I do seem to listen to music while doing several things. 

RiRi

@PandaPrincessCan you ask your mom to help you make meals for yourself at least? You don't have to overwhem yourself when starting to cook by making large meals. You can start with smaller things. You could think that cooking could offer you more healthy food. Or if you don't want to think about yourself then do it for your mom? I'm sure she would appreciate it even if you don't do it often. 

PandaPrincess
On 9/3/2017 at 10:06 AM, RiRi said:

@PandaPrincessCan you ask your mom to help you make meals for yourself at least? You don't have to overwhem yourself when starting to cook by making large meals. You can start with smaller things. You could think that cooking could offer you more healthy food. Or if you don't want to think about yourself then do it for your mom? I'm sure she would appreciate it even if you don't do it often. 

My mom does make my meals, but I really want to learn to be more independent.  I get so frustrated when I can't do things myself.  

• Like 1

PandaPrincess

I ordered myself a loot crate :D.  I've never gotten one of those before, so I'm pretty excited about it.  I will do an unboxing video on it too.

RiRi
On 9/18/2017 at 4:51 PM, PandaPrincess said:

My mom does make my meals, but I really want to learn to be more independent.  I get so frustrated when I can't do things myself.  

I know what you mean. I get depressed/sad because I can't do some things myself too. I have felt like that before. Sometimes I just have resignation, it helps because getting sad about it doesn't help. But, ultimately it would be best if I did learn. I think the frustration pushes you to learn, but once you resign, you kind of just give up on it and accept that this is your reality (at least that's how it's for me). But, I do hope that you can learn to cook on your own.