• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Roxy

Hard to make friends and meet people these days?

Roxy

Apparently it use to be so much easier back in the old days to make friends.. now everyone is closed off in their own little cliques, unless you know them from school or college, or grew up in their social circle (friend of a friend or know their family) I find people look at you like s***.. like you are beneath them and they seem so snobby/patronising.. 

Anyone else find this or is it just me being paranoid? I think social media hasn't helped.. it's good for people with 2000 friends from school and college but not somebody just wanting to meet new people..

Edited by Roxy

Peridot

I don't think your paranoid necessarily. It's unfortunate that a lot of people are kinda narcissistic and rude. Solipsistic even in the sense that they go around as if only their feelings are real and to be considered.

It sucks.

• Helpful 1

PandaPrincess

I feel like the world is completely cold.  That's why I know that I always have video games to turn to. 

• Helpful 2

Nesf

That's what it was like for me growing up too, they all grouped themselves into cliques and each clique had its own spot in the school common room or its own patch on the school yard. it's always been like that and it's not created by the social media, but the social media facilitate it and make it worse.

• Helpful 2

Of course Facebook is the biggest clique on the planet. A disgusting piece of digital social media. 

There's no doubt that social media is changing the way younger people interact. 

Proffessor Susan Greenfield has a great but bit patronising talk about the subject. 

I live in possibly the most narcissistic cliquey town in the uk. Folk just ignore each other's existence. And now - even more so since Facebook. 

There's a Facebook group of our town and all they do is gripe and winge at how horrible and miserable the world and life is.

They are tricked/deceived by the 'Great Deceiver' ???

• Helpful 1

Sanctuary

Social media and new communications can be useful for building and maintaining friendships and social contacts but they can easily leave some people even more isolated. It's easy to look at others with hundreds of Facebook "friends" and who seem to spend much of their time using social media and feel left out. I'm also struck when I see how many people seem to be constantly on their mobile phones talking to other people while mine is scarcely used at all (and because of my anxiety I feel nervous whenever it does buzz or ring!)

However all these social contacts are not necessarily a good thing. People can become slaves to social media and also to their phones. They can end up with little time for themselves and little room for individuality. Many years ago someone I knew said he didn't have a mobile phone because he didn't want people to contact him when he was out and about and his comment has always stuck with me. He didn't mean it in an anti-social way - he was socially confident and socially connected. However he meant it in the sense of having more personal space, an opportunity just to get on with our lives. While these new communications can be very helpful they have reduced opportunities to be private and alone. Lacking social contacts can undoubtedly be difficult but it there are still a lot of benefits to having that opportunity to just be individuals and do the things we want to do.

• Helpful 2

Definitely two sides to the coin. 

I think it also depends on what media you/we Use. 

I've met some proper friends on different forums and also some 'proper' friends who'll drop you like a stone. That usually doesn't happen with older friends - pre internet days.

Edited by .......
  • Helpful 1

Roxy
14 hours ago, PandaPrincess said:

I feel like the world is completely cold.  That's why I know that I always have video games to turn to. 

Jesus def left this place a long time ago (if you are religious or whoever created us)

Peridot

Yeah I heard this story about the Annikinaki or something. Beings from another planet/world who created people as slaves and then there was one of them who wanted people to be free. Long story short, the "Annikinaki" tried to kill us all by a massive, global drowning hence the oceans and seas. But they didn't kill all of of us.

Don't know if it's true though. But some people who are not crazy and definately intelligent don't exclude the possibility that it is.

Whoknows

I think it's become more random than ever, but not harder (as if everyone wanted to harm you or something). :mellow:

Apathy has certainly grown, and some people have become plain shy or reserved, and it worries me deeply, because they release their anger and sadness in their forums, groups or Facebook.

There's this group I'm in, where most people are sexually repressed and feel uncertain about getting a couple, so they joke about it quite often.

What worries me more is the level of sensibility people are reaching today. In any moment, a joke can unleash a fire-storm, even if it's in a forum meant for it. It even worried me more when I discovered South Park was releasing episodes related to that matter. Seems like sensibility, rather than a necesitty, is becoming a problem due to its use in excess.

PandaPrincess
10 minutes ago, Roxy said:

Jesus def left this place a long time ago (if you are religious or whoever created us)

I don't think that Jesus left us.  I think that since all of us aren't perfect, and the world isn't perfect, we basically have to trust him and that he'll make things right in the end, even though everything sucks right now.  I think it's important to remember that when Jesus was on earth, everyone was against him too, so he understands.  

• Helpful 1

Harrow

You always have to look for the good in people. I don't think the world is cold and I do think that fundamentally people are there for each other. The world just puts people through hell that they put walls up. 

Just no matter what try be there for others and they come around to you

• Helpful 2

Peridot

Joie6

I think that during youth, it's much more difficult to meet friends than during adulthood. The young persons are less tolerant than adults. They are all doing the same thing, all having the same taste and if you're different, even a little, you're marginalized. 

And with social media, it's easier to marginalize somebody

• Helpful 1