• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Dr-David-Banner

Paul Cooijman

Dr-David-Banner

This guy Paul Cooijman interests me a lot. He's a Dutch researcher in the fields of Aspergers, genius and intelligence testing. He's a musician and also heads an organization called The Giga Society. I'm not sure if this Giga Society is just a clever angle to get his name out and about because, otherwise, it's just a bad idea. It's a sort of Mensa or I.Q. Club where a high score grants membership. I dropped in on a conversation about this where some academics were taking the piss out of the whole arrogance and geekiness of the Giga members holding meetings and flashing their score cards. The concept of staring at geometric shapes to deduce answers to puzzles isn't what great inventors do, after all. So, apparently the academics invaded the Giga function, got drunk and made off with a few bottles of wine.
Besides that, Paul Cooijman has written some great articles on Aspergers. It's not known to me if he has the syndrome. Much of what he wrote made sense. He basically wrote that if you have certain AS traits too strong, you can live your life dogged by mental illness, depression, inability to hold down a career or communicate with others. He did notice too what I've mentioned in the past that very many Jewish aspies seem to succeed socially with AS and find a place in society. Einstein is one example - odd personality but able to teach quite well and talk in public. Anyway, if I understand the essays correctly, the biggest problem is if the AS symptoms are too severe. There's also a certain ratio of the symptoms that can turn AS into an advantage as opposed to a handicap.
My problem is I think my symptoms are too severe. I've met others with worse symptoms than I have but consider my own to be a major major problem. I can't communicate or act normally enough to be employed so I remain stuck in the margin of social failure. I have limited physical energy and often get intense mood swings. I also struggle to manage my affairs or interact with the system (without anger attacks). The one area where I can relate to Cooijman is the social environment aspect. He stated he grew up in an area where physical work was all that was valued. Art,, reading, linguistics or music were not typical. He said as a child he felt suffocated by the narrowness of the mentality and environment. Where I live this has gotten worse. Literally task-performing is the bread of life here. If you can't drive a f++++g fork lift truck up and down or socially interact with customers, you're pretty much in no-mans land. Plus here they seem to value above all rushing about in a job. I recall one guy from Slovakia who got promoted really quick as he used to run around all the time with a pump-truck. It looked good but I never figured out what he actually did to be so valued.. Big mistake though. The substitution of task performing and erosion of polytechnics or arts or music is now very evident.

DavidTheWitch

Is possible Jewish Households just normally have a household more supportive to Asperger's. I mean I have heard your statement about Jews and Aspergers reminds me of Conspiracy Theories about Jews having invented AS for political gain.

Dr-David-Banner

There does seem to be a real link between intelligence, high autism and European Ashkenazi Jewish people. Not only do we have physicists like Einstein but lately Grigory Peshkin of Russian Jewish heritage (a maths genius). I guess they have the autism factor with less of the meltdown and anxiety attributes. I mean Einstein was too engrossed in physics to worry about social interaction and Peshkin made his point by refusing his 1000,000 dollar reward and ceremony invitation. I am really not sure why so many Jewish or Russian Jewish autists seem to function better although the family environment may be partly a factor.

Dr-David-Banner

I find Cooijman's essays more educating than T Atwood or other known names. What hit home for me was Cooijman clarified the difference between high intelligence and genius. A genius is often not the most intelligent (compared to your typical Dr in physics). So it's not an IQ thing. What the genius has is dogged determination and "associative horizon". The associative horizon is the ability to "connect" patterns, associations and parallels. Put simply, noticing stuff others take for granted (as Columbo did in the TV series). Also Cooijman explains how typical it is for mental illness or disorder to choke out mental potential. For a spectrum disorder to be positive, it's necessary to subjugate the negative traits in order to function as a student and concentrate.

Dr-David-Banner

I read recently that maths or physics grads struggle to find employment. That is, statistically. People were urged to do applied engineering. That forced me to ask why maths, physics or even calculus is being under-valued. I concluded it's because modern society is focused on physical solutions to problems and productivity.