• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Roxy

Collecting DVD's

Roxy

Anyone else have an unhealthy obsession with DVD's, games etc? I think I have over 600 DVDs LOL 

• Like 1

Nesf

My unhealthy obsession is with CDs - I have over 10,000 music albums in various formats. I don't have many DVDs.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nesf said:

My unhealthy obsession is with CDs - I have over 10,000 music albums in various formats. I don't have many DVDs.

Omg - even more than me!! ?

• Like 2

Sanctuary

I also have many DVDs and spend a lot of time watching them. My two main other "collections" are music and books and I think people with AS often have at least one collection of some sort. My DVDs are predominantly of TV series - I haven't got the concentration span for films :) Some of my favourite episodes I've watched dozens of times but then there are some discs that I haven't watched for many years. I do try to offload some of the latter from time to time but don't find it easy as I so often think "I might watch that later" and then another few years pass :) Perhaps it's almost like having a library where most items are only used a little but they're good to have around for "reference" when the time arises.

Music obviously lends itself to repeated listening. It would seem odd to really like a CD then not listen to it again for years. I suppose most people (neurotypicals) have a different attitude to TV and films - they don't mind watching a favourite film or episode again very occasionally but it's not something that greatly appeals to them. They might watch a lot of TV and film but mostly new things or older things they haven't seen before. I like to watch things again though and the DVD format lends itself to that. It's good to replay scenes, check dialogue, pause on the credits and just re-experience favourite episodes. I think this type of repeat watching / listening and analysis is likely to be much more common with AS but it was much more difficult before videos and DVDs came along and often you could only see something once and maybe hope it would be shown again.

What I also like about DVDs is just the opportunity to watch at our own pace and convenience. We can stop after a few minutes if we have other things to do or aren't quite in the mood or watch an entire series in one go if we want, all in the convenience of our own home. Modern TV set-top boxes do allow us to do this to some degree but it's not the same as having the physical disc and there are still lots of things on DVD that aren't on television today.

• Like 1

Nesf
16 minutes ago, Sanctuary said:

Music obviously lends itself to repeated listening. It would seem odd to really like a CD then not listen to it again for years. I suppose most people (neurotypicals) have a different attitude to TV and films - they don't mind watching a favourite film or episode again very occasionally but it's not something that greatly appeals to them. They might watch a lot of TV and film but mostly new things or older things they haven't seen before. I like to watch things again though and the DVD format lends itself to that. It's good to replay scenes, check dialogue, pause on the credits and just re-experience favourite episodes. I think this type of repeat watching / listening and analysis is likely to be much more common with AS but it was much more difficult before videos and DVDs came along and often you could only see something once and maybe hope it would be shown again.

Interesting... I tend not to want to watch videos or TV shows more than a couple of times, but there again, they are not really my 'thing' - music is my thing and I tend to listen to favourite albums or even individual songs over and over again. I did this a lot when I was a child.