• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Nesf

How did you first get into prog?

Nesf

How did you first get into prog and what was your first album? In my case, it was through Jeff Wayne's 1978 musical version of H.G. Well's War of the Worlds. I was attracted to it because I had read the H.G. Wells story, I saw the album in a record shop and was curious. I later got into Rush, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Yes and Marillion, and before the digital age my main means of exploring new music was to buy various artists compilation albums, and then investigate further the music that I heard and liked.

• Like 2

Sirius

It was just a natural step along my exploration of music. I came across it without knowing about any genre terminology or fan culture surrounding it. I loved The Beatles' psychedelic era and Bowie's most experimental work, so I became eager to seek out the adventurous and unusual. My first real prog album was Frank Zappa's One Size Fits All and I was really blown away by Inca Roads in particular. A few months later, I found The Yes Album in my dad's old box of CDs and loved it, so moved on to Fragile, Close to the Edge and all the rest, also getting into Pink Floyd and King Crimson around the same time. I grew to really love Genesis from Trespass through Seconds Out and was profoundly saddened when I discovered what they'd degenerated into by the mid-eighties. I've found some interesting modern bands too, Porcupine Tree, Big Big Train, Spock's Beard, etc. though their material doesn't move me in the same way as that of the classic bands.

• Like 2

Nesf

Yes, sadly, many of the bands of the classic 70s era degenerated during the 80s, including Jethro Tull, Rush and Yes. Reaching out to a new audience for commercial gain, alienating their existing fan base in the process. Many of the RPI bands went the same way. There are a lot of bands out there, but I find that much of what they produce sounds very bland and 'samey' and doesn't really hold my attention. It used to be that a band had to be good, really good to stand a chance of getting signed to a record label, but these days in the digital age it is that much easier, and that just means that you need to sift through a lot of mediocre stuff to discover really good new bands. Yes, Big Big Train consistently produce good albums, Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard, Kaipa, Cast, etc.

I particularly like to explore progressive folk from all over the world, as the ethnic influences from it's country of origin make it particularly unique and interesting to listen to.

• Like 2

Prism

I started listening to Queen (early proggy Queen) and Yes with my siblings when I was around 5 (and probably other prog bands like Genesis from time to time, but those memories are foggy). That's how I got into it. I've always liked it without thinking about the genre. 

• Like 2

Alex

When I was a kid, my dad used to play Supertramp and Manfred Mann's Earth Band in the car on our road trips to, for example Norway. I really liked the music back then, and for years and years, Blinded By the Light (by Manfred Mann's Earth Band) used to be my favourite song of all time.

When I became a teenager I got heavily into heavy metal. I think my first band was either System of a Down or Rammstein, I loved it. I sort of didn't discover a lot of new music at the time though, for whatever reason, apart from Pendulum (an electronic Drum and Bass band), but then when I turned 17, I was exposed to a song by Rush on a TV show called Chuck. It was Tom Sawyer, and I loved it. I thought it was so interesting and different that I decided to look up the band on Youtube and Wikipedia, and I discovered that they were a Progressive Rock band, a genre I didn't really know what was at the time. At that time I also read about related bands and came across the name Dream Theater, which I found to be an interesting name, and it sort of made me think about Halloween and pumpkins for some reason. I didn't really check them out though until...

Fast forward a year or so, I was 18, it was the year I joined Asperclick funnily enough (4 years ago now), I heard a song on an internet radio for metal on iTunes.. It was an obscure instrumental piece by Dream Theater called Raw Dog... It was almost as if the band wanted me to discover it! Sounds crazy, I know. I thought it was good, but I forgot about it again... Then at some point later that year, for some reason I decided to look up Dream Theater again, and I found The Spirit Carries On, which was soon to be my new favourite song of all time... I thought it was good too, but for some reason I still didn't look them up further...

It wasn't until the summer of that same year, 2013, that I was in a record store and I saw Dream Theater's Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory, and I was thinking to myself that that was the band I had stumbled upon on several occasions, and I bought it.

When I came home that day, I remember being all alone at home, and I decided to listen to my new mysterious CD... I put it on and lay in bed... and immediately, especially as I heard the opening to Overture 1928, I was blown away. My perception of music had changed forever. It was the most incredible-sounding music I had ever listened to... I even remember being in tears over the beauty of songs such as The Spirit Carries On and Through Her Eyes... I became a Dream Theater super-nerd. I even remember posting about it on this forum and Nesf (thanks by the way) told me that their genre were Progressive Metal. That band changed my life, I swear to god.

Well, the rest is history, but basically my search for other prog rock and metal bands started from Dream Theater and it was because I wanted to find similar bands, and also bands that had inspired them, like the classics Yes, King Crimson, Genesis... Even though I didn't realise the genre of the music until my late teens, Progressive Rock and Metal music has become my go-to music, that I never get tired of, even though I love other kinds of music like the electronic chill out stuff such as Zero 7, and other completely different types of music.

Oh dear, that became a long post! But I think that covers my story pretty well :) Thanks to anyone who reads. Cheers and prog on!

• Like 4

Nesf

Welcome to the new members Prism and Alex!

@Prism I grew up with Queen because my mum was really into it (and still is), and I also prefer their earlier albums. In the 80s I knew Genesis and Yes as being more mainstream, poppy groups and so I didn't pay much attention until a lot later when I heard some of their earlier work on a compilation CD that I had bought and thought, hey, I need to investigate this!

@Alex I first heard Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory near the time it came out, in late 1999 or early 2000 when I borrowed it from someone, but I had to give it back so didn't listen to it for a while, then later, I saw Train of Thought in a shop and remembered that I had liked the other album and so I bought it. I really love Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

For me Rush's Tom Sawyer was also one of the songs that I heard early on that lead me to getting into prog - and Spirit of Radio.

• Like 2

DavidTheWitch

My father had a Pink Floyd CD and my mother had a Jon and Vangilis CD and it grew from there. Also I love my moms 80s music!

• Like 1

Nesf
21 hours ago, DavidTheWitch said:

My father had a Pink Floyd CD and my mother had a Jon and Vangilis CD and it grew from there. Also I love my moms 80s music!

What other prog bands are you into? Which Pink Floyd CD dis your dad have? Did the Jon and Vangelis CD include this track? This was the first single I ever bought as a kid when it came out with my pocket money :)

DavidTheWitch

Oh yes I love that track. I'll find my way home is a perfect song about Gnosticism. Oh and the first Pink Floyd CD that ended up in my home was Dark Side of the Moon?

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this