• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Dr-David-Banner

How Can Football Be The Most Popular Thread??

Dr-David-Banner

"football statistician is someone who is "boring" and at risk of droning on about trivial details which they find interesting but very few others do"

When I got ridiculed on the radio engineering forums, I told someone I knew. He said, "What did you expect?" They must be sad b######s to spend their time talking about radios!!!"
They were also the most conceited, pompous, arrogant, narrow minded group I ever met. Their mistake was to somehow perceive themselves as "experts" in a field that naturally evolved, often through observation. Then sneer and scoff at those who don't follow their advice to the letter. I don't miss the radio forum at all!
Maybe your football interest is a bit like my Beatles fact finding. I could tell you about George Martin, Brian Epstein, Yoko Ono and the whole album dates.

Edited by Dr-David-Banner

Sanctuary

It's certainly true that many interests followed by people with AS can be ridiculed and that can make it difficult for them to talk about them to others. Musical interests - especially in a very popular group such as the Beatles - are more "acceptable" although if someone has a very deep interest in a more obscure and not very critically regarded artist that may still attract bewilderment and even mockery. Technical interests such as yours on radio engineering are hard for many people to engage with so may be more likely to attract the response you mention. People need more tolerance and willingness to accept that there can be a variety of things that can appeal to others.

Dr-David-Banner

I guess I learned my lesson. In a way there's a funny side. Someone could stumble on the site and say, "Wow, football is a hugely popular topic here on the forum!" Yet in reality, it's really a small group of people who built up the 2000 odd posts through longevity and interest. It may well be they are a minority interest here percentage wise. Most sites have many lurkers who rarely post.
The music thread is now posing some serious competition to the football thread. I haven't peeped at it yet but wonder how many people know The Beatles pretty much invented Heavy Metal in 1968. Helter Skelter, of course, which was a new sound. The Beatles also created music as wide ranging as Rock, Psychedelic, ballads, orchestration, sing-aIongs and love songs. The screaming has me intrigued too as it totally disappeared for some reason. I noticed Frankie Avalon got hugely screamed at by girls when he sang Venus in 1959.
This is very weird too: Nobody is interested in my music or tracks these days so I rarely bother. Ages ago I was friendly with a very attractive female who used to have her hair red. I played her a couple of track fragments and it turned out she liked it. Well, in her all female circle of friends she was a bit of an alpha female and seen by the others as cool and "with it". Next thing I knew, all the girls got interested to hear my tracks and even tried to stress their interest for a couple of days to the others. To make an impact with music in NT World, there has to be some impact on someone or some class of followers so the masses will follow. I think all The Beatles offspring got pissed off realising they'd have to be shallow to be popular. I think Julian Lennon was writing great tracks in the 1980's but he finally packed it in. Sean Lennon avoided mainstream totally. James McCartney is talented and I suspect he has AS too.

Dr-David-Banner

I forward this clip of Mike Katz from Pumping Iron as I long suspected he may have AS. In the interview he talks about football and his injury that forced him out of football and into bodybuilding. Notice the bit where he stated he would leave a dance for no reason, get angry and practise football on his own. The idea being to plough through all the opposition.
Also Mike Katz looks odd and it's interesting how the documentary movie makers set Katz up as the underdog. In one scene, Ken Waller his rival sort of scoffs at Katz and says his arms aren't big enough to match his chest, his thighs are too big for his calves and he can't pose.
I have met one of the guys shown in the scene where they mess about playing American football.
It's hard to be sure Katz is on the spectrum but, if so, I'd say a milder condition of it is likely. He certainly did het singled out most of his life and got into bodybuilding  to compensate: