• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Sanctuary

Diagnosis denied by doctors / clinicians?

Sanctuary

Many people have talked about difficulties in getting referred for a diagnosis and frustrating delays to the process (I'm talking principally of adults but it might refer to some children as well). However have there been cases either affecting yourself or other people where the doctor / clinician has rejected a diagnosis of AS / autism even though you / they strongly believed they had it? I Some people who are self-diagnosed worry that their ideas might be rejected by a doctor or clinician but does this actually happen?  The issue could be broadened out to those who visit their doctor or a therapist who feel they are depressed, stressed, obsessive-compulsive or that they have some other psychological condition - have they been told that they don't have these despite their own conclusions?

• Like 1

rainbow

I am myself waiting to hear from a psychiatrist to see about my diagnosed at the age of 27,  I went to my doctors and the doctor was happy to make a refer for me to my hospital. I have got to go back to see a new psychiatrist. this will be my third one now.

• Like 1

RiRi

@Sanctuary When I went for a diagnosis I worried that they would say I'm not autistic and I had also read somewhere, can't remember where that some people were misdiagnosed, like at first they were diagnosed with social anxiety. So when I went to get diagnosed I worried they would say I had something else like social anxiety too. But, it turned out that I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. They didn't get it wrong. I'm thinking right now that a reason that could have lead to misdiagnosis for some could have been the psychiatrist/psychologist did not specialize in autism and maybe that's why they got the wrong diagnosis? Because I've read of people who like me worried they might get the wrong diagnosis/not diagnosed, but it turns out they were diagnosed autistic like me. So I do wonder if whether the misdiagnoses that have happened were due to the person diagnosing not being specialized in autism. 

Nesf
11 hours ago, RiRi said:

can't remember where that some people were misdiagnosed, like at first they were diagnosed with social anxiety.

I went to see a psychiatrist in the early 90s and, without my knowledge, he diagnosed me with social phobia. This psychiatrist was certainly aware of Asperger's, but such a diagnosis was not available at that time, (it was introduced to the DSM in 1994) and I was seeing him for therapy, not for getting a diagnosis. He might have suspected Asperger's, I don't know, but he never discussed any diagnosis with me, not even social phobia. I only know about the social phobia because I saw the diagnosis by chance on my GP's computer.

• Like 1