• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
collectingrocks

Lenses

collectingrocks

For anyone who uses a dSLR, what is your favourite lens?

aspieguy

I think wideangle lenses create quite a nice effect (when used tastefully and appropriately, that is - don't go shooting everything with a wideangle lens!) but I don't have one. I do have some lenses from mom's older camera though and on a 1.6x crop sensor I find that 70mm and 90mm give quite a nice telephoto effect.

I once used the 300mm zoom but it was really out of practicality rather than choice, meaning that there was simply no other way to get the subject large enough - I would never specifically choose to use such a long lens if I had another option, you have to be really careful with composition to stop everything from looking flat and at longer focal lengths depth of field starts becoming a problem as well (I was in evening light as well so having to step up from f/8.0 to f/11.0 just made things worse).

The two lenses I would buy would be a wideangle and a 50mm prime. Wideangle because I like the effect and sometimes I want to go wider than the 18mm kit lens and 50mm prime because I like the narrow depth of field from the larger aperture.