• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Sanctuary

Favourite artists / instruments

Sanctuary

There has been great jazz performed by many artists in a wide variety of styles but my favourite artists in terms of sheer consistency are tenor saxophonists Ben Webster and (to a slightly lesser degree) Coleman Hawkins. Within jazz rock it would be Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock and Archie Shepp for free jazz. The tenor saxophone is far and away my favourite instrument and can communicate so many different moods. All kinds of saxophone are great. Miles Davis deserves much credit for promoting the use of the soprano sax (initially played by Wayne Shorter, later by others) on his jazz rock albums but overall the tenor is the most versatile.

Generally I like other reed instruments such as the flute and clarinets and oboe and bassoon on the very rare occasions they're played in jazz. I'm not a big trumpet fan although great music has been made by trumpeters. Other brass instruments for me only really work in brass sections and not as solo instruments. Piano, organ and guitar are fine as lead instruments but I prefer them to have some backing from saxes / trumpets to broaden the sound.

Which artists, instruments or styles appeal to you?

• Like 1

Nesf

I don't have a particular favourite instrument, but I like the guitar (most of the fusion I won is guitar-driven), but also wind instuments like the flute. I particularly like the Canterbury style of jazz fusion - some are more rock-orientated than jazz, but all have been influenced by jazz or jazz fusion to some degree. I like and listen to bands like Caravan (they are my favourite Canterbury band), Earth, Wind and Fire, Frank Zappa, and French TV... French TV are great. Also folky fusion, like Arco Iris or Lot Lorien / Theodossi Spassov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Goc-JGpYDLU

Sanctuary

The guitar is certainly a very versatile instrument and works well in most types of music. Perhaps as I entered jazz from the direction of soul and funk it might explain my preference for the saxophone as it's so central to those types of music. Those who come to jazz from rock music may be more drawn to the guitar in jazz but the tendencies may not be as straightforward as that.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this