• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Eliza

Do you go through periods of isolating?

Eliza

Since the changes at work (I lost my job at the end of May) I've been isolating. I can't get myself motivated to do anything. Do you guys go through these weird periods? I'm lonely, bored, and kind'a mentally fried. What can I do to get out of this funk???

• Like 1

Sanctuary

Good to see you back Eliza. I've certainly done similar things and for similar reasons and I'm sure many other people have done the same. When we go through difficult times in our lives we may not want others to know - perhaps we feel a sense of embarrassment - and shutting ourselves away, maybe until things pick up again, is a tempting response. However sometimes it is good to talk about our situation to supportive people and they can help, whether it's just offering a sympathetic ear or offering some practical advice or support. Asperclick is always a good place to talk but there will be people in your everyday life who can help although I know it's not always easy to let them know we're going through difficult times. I think the most important thing aside from talking to people is to get your mind occupied. Getting a new job - even if it's just a few hours a week or for a short-time or volunteering - can help you get over the loss of the previous one and it gives you something to do. If a new job isn't available try to find some other activity that - ideally - you enjoy and which refocuses your mind from your problems. I hope things are better for you soon.  

• Helpful 2

Nesf

Yes, I do. I sometimes feel depressed and am absent from here for a while. Last year I had a serious health issue that I found difficult to cope with, and I was away from here for a long time. I tend to withdraw and shut down when anxious or depressed. I have projects through the summer months to keep me busy and from dwelling on things. I did a translation, and I am constantly updating and expanding my music collection.

• Like 1

Gone home

Sorry to read you lost a job. Hopefully you can find another thats better than the last one. 
I lost my job too ... or rather was pushed out.

Going to work, (whether its enjoyable or not) does provide a focus,  momentum and inner rhythm.
When the job is gone the cognitive momentum does freewheel to an eventual halt for some. I think it takes some of us longer to process what happened, adapt and commit to refocusing. 

How to get out of the funk?
I can only assume getting over the trauma of the circumstances surrounding the employment terminating, re-establish some physical and mental strength and  well-being, make yourself have a little trivial fun and recommit to something you believe will work for you employment wise.  

I have I think given up trying to look for long term employment because it eventually seems to go terminally wrong ... (no particular fault of my own, I just tend to take issue with power freaks and liars) so I am going to take a shorter term view this time which might make it easier for me to adapt / switch roles if needed.
Lonely, bored, mentally fried are all terms I can relate to ...
I think you need to ask yourself - what have you got?  ... and ...  what are you going to do with it?

Life seems to require the ability to pick oneself up and start again repeatedly.

handle.thumb.jpg.6af937c594dd3b55fbbf852e4692f095.jpg

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Eliza

Thank you so much, everyone. I feel better, for the first time in days. Been having some weird ups and downs, but this feels different.  I'm feeling very hopeful.

Each and every post helped me and I appreciate it!

• Like 2

PandaPrincess

Yeah, I feel like that a lot, especially during the summer when I am off of work.  Finding something to do to keep you busy is the best thing that works.  

• Like 1

Mathi C.

Same here lately... ): tryna catch up, but idk.. I feel so alienated and going out feels too awkward these days/weeks/months. I'm thinkin' about joining a local aspie group, but I also want to move somewhere else, so I'm not sure. I was thinking about hiding in my little apartment and looking for online friends. Anyone in the same frame of mind?