• Announcements

• Willow

Welcome to the forum!   09/17/2017

Please come in from the rain and sit by the fire! We're happy you found us and hope you will feel at home here.  
Jonnielovely

Time Management issues!

Jonnielovely

I feel strugged to manage my time and quite often have near misses on work. Quite often I forgot dates to hand in work or the work itself :( What can i do ?

Miss Chief

Use Google Calendar and Keep (or the apple equivalent). Calendar to have reminders of when stuff is due, but put additional reminders via email/popup like a week before and 2 days before and the night before and the morning of the deadline itself, that way you know you need to work on it a week before hand, you know you need to get into gear and get it finished 2 days before and you know you need to print/take it with you the night before and then you remember to actually hand it in on the day in question. Keep is more of a checklist but you can set reminders on that too, either with a location (like shopping lists at the shop for example) or a time/day. I have a nightmare with this kind of thing and Google Calendar & Keep help keep me sane ;)

Edit: I'm an Android user so that is why I suggest Google but I also love that it syncs all my computers (via Chrome), tablets and phone with the reminders etc.

Edited by Miss Chief

Gone home

I did some time management stuff on a management course ... albeit over 20 yrs ago before smartphones etc.
Was asked to make a recording table of the day (a 30 min intervals over around 12 hrs) and keep a summarised record of nature of activity at 30 min interval.
Had to do it for 10 days and then create a graph to illustrate time use.

The process of being aware and recording was increasingly stressful in itself as it added a constant additional stressful background task to the day that was hard to manage along with other tasks.
The result was a scarily efficient pressured awareness of time and very high time management skills. 
I have largely lost the skills due to lack of use and job changes - it was right at the time, but wouldn't want that level of awareness again.

Other options are just carrying round traditional note books, checklists and post it notes  in familiar areas.

Though I don't consciously use them anymore, I would recommend basic mnemonic systems like 'number rhyme' because once learned they are very relaxing and make the day easy.
The basic techniques are thinking in pictures ... which I find uncomplicated / calming.
Tony Buzans early books 'use your head' and 'use your memory' were very helpful for myself

Edited by Gone home

Nesf

I have a diary to help keep myself organized. It's a physical diary, not an electronic one, that allows me to see a whole week. I keep it on my desk and update it as things come up.

Heather

For time management, I use the alarms on my phone a LOT.  I have my wakeup alarms (as well as one on a louder non-phone alarm clock that I have to get up to turn off) and I have 3 alarms that go off prior to having to leave that remind me of the time so that I can get ready.

Though you need to be honest with yourself on how much time it takes you to do certain tasks, it sounds like you are budgeting less time than you need.  You either need to find out quicker ways to do tasks or budget more time... I like the phone alarms for time management throughout the day so I don't have to worry about missing something. And I like google calendar or other calendar apps or a regular diary/agenda to remind me of things in the future. I think currently, my phone calendar is best used for this (google because I am an android user) because I don't have too many things to keep track of. But I like writing down to-do lists when I feel overwhelmed because it helps me feel like there is a plan, and I don't have to do everything at once.

• Like 1